E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lowering Springs for 06 E90 XI

03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

Smile Lowering Springs for 06 E90 XI

So I am in the market for some lowering springs.

I have typically been against lowering my car due to my location because the ride will be more stiff. I enjoy a smooth comfortable ride, but the thought of a sleek looking car driving through a car meet during these upcoming warm summer nights does make me feel funny in my pants.

So I come to you in asking what is the route I should go.

I know of three different types of springs, Eibach Pro Kit, Eibach Sportline, and H&R Sport. From what I gather in my research on all of them is the Eibach Pro gives it a minimal lowering, better ride stiffness than the H&R Sport and toit seems to me this is one of the most popular ones to buy.

The Eibach Sportline is a much lowered stance, almost double of what the Pro kit is, but will obviously have a worse ride. They advertise it as a very good ride though.

Then the H&R Springs which by reviews I have read lower it the most but the ride quality sucks and most people tell others to steer clear of this one.

So my choices have become between the Eibach Pro and Sport. The thought of a lowered car seems nice, and I am sure it will look nice. I just want to still feel like I am driving in a BMW and not like I am in my friends 350z that is a fingernail off the ground. It looks really nice, but the driving is in no way practical. You feel the pebbles in the road !

Came here looking for some input on the Pro and Sport kits from Eibach, and these will be install on a 2006 E90 325XI, I notice H7R has springs for 325i and 325xi, but Eibach lists it as only 325i and no xi models. Can I still buy them?

Also I am not sure when anything on the suspension has been changed but I know in the last 20k miles nothing has been done, would just these springs be okay or will I have to purchase anything else extra?

Thank you very much in advance !!

Last edited by Mpy18; 03-23-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Well unless you buy lowering shocks, you're probably gonna end up hating the ride... and your shocks are gonna wear out much much faster. So those are good spring options but you're gonna need to pair it up with lowering shocks such as koni yellows or bilstein sports. Honestly, I'd just throw down some extra money and buy a set of used KW V1. No more headaches lol

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post
Well unless you buy lowering shocks, you're probably gonna end up hating the ride... and your shocks are gonna wear out much much faster. So those are good spring options but you're gonna need to pair it up with lowering shocks such as koni yellows or bilstein sports. Honestly, I'd just throw down some extra money and buy a set of used KW V1. No more headaches lol
Well I went ahead and ordered the Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs. SO they are on the way !!

Do you really recommend buying shocks as well? What are they going to do for me, and whats the difference of buying springs + shocks or just coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post
Well I went ahead and ordered the Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs. SO they are on the way !!

Do you really recommend buying shocks as well? What are they going to do for me, and whats the difference of buying springs + shocks or just coilovers?
Well you can try the springs by themselves but the ride is gonna be harsh from what I've heard. The stock XI shocks are not meant to have lowering springs on them. The different spring rates will kill the shocks much faster. In the end, you're gonna have to replace your shocks.

I don't really know the differences between shocks+springs and just coilovers. Coilovers are adjustable and a little more expensive, but I think they'll last much longer (depends where you drive). I really couldn't tell you which one rides better.

I'll be picking up my set of KW V1s shortly

Appreciate 0