E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

11-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #67
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
Fitting a recognised alarm and getting them to approve my request to avoid the update; in writing should be enough.
Insurance companys don't like putting anything in writing!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #68
scottishpete
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e92 325d m sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
Love this idea!

Did you just order a left hand door handle and fit it over the top of the lock?
Or did you actually remove the lock?

Here's hoping your fob never runs out of juice when the other fob is not around.

Reading those 3 pages really does disappoint. How did it take them 8 WEEKS to cook up a fix that only disables the window role down??
I am not sure I can even be bothered... (if my insurance contact me I suppose ill have to)
Hidden ODB port, with fake in its place = win.
Just ordered passanger door cover for a left hand drive model and removed the lock and replaced with this,if my fob dies i have a boot and seats go down,so no real issue there.There is a DIY on forum
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #69
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishpete View Post
Just ordered passanger door cover for a left hand drive model and removed the lock and replaced with this,if my fob dies i have a boot and seats go down,so no real issue there.There is a DIY on forum
On the LCI there's no keyhole in the boot lid so I'm not sure how I'd get in under similar circumstances

I've often wondered how to get in the boot if the car battery dies. No keyhole & the manual boot release feels like an electrical switch so maybe it's a can opener job
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #70
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
On the LCI there's no keyhole in the boot lid so I'm not sure how I'd get in under similar circumstances

I've often wondered how to get in the boot if the car battery dies. No keyhole & the manual boot release feels like an electrical switch so maybe it's a can opener job
Apparently very little juice is required to pop the boot.
Saw somebody mention in a topic that this happened to them, but they could still open the boot even though nothing else really worked.

I suppose if it was completely dead dead, you could unlock the drivers door pop the bonnet and then attach jump leads.
The jump leads should then power the boot release?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #71
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
I suppose if it was completely dead dead, you could unlock the drivers door pop the bonnet and then attach jump leads.
The jump leads should then power the boot release?
      11-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #72
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
that will get a good thrashing then!
Much ike it's used to half the time then!!

Might put my GPS tracker in the car and have a laugh!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #73
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post

Dont think I have any actual key holes anywhere on my car!

Anyway - got the call being done Friday with some warranty work on the trim
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #74
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Read it and laugh guys.....

http://www.keyprogtools.com/index.ph...ools-smart-key

Full OBDII key programming for 2011 CAS3+ vehicles

Full key programming for 2012 encrypted CAS4 vehicles (newest BMW 1, 3, 5, 5 GT, 6, 7, X3 series ( body Fxx)

In fact it does everything, changing VINs, changing dash memory, changing vehicle order specification.......

Fixed it, my arse!

Last edited by doughboy; 11-12-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #75
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Well contacted bmw last week about pre 2007 cars being stolen via old port and guess what not interested here is the reply I got.

Thank you for your email dated*November 9, 2012, regarding the recent criminal activity where certain BMW models have been targeted.* I can appreciate your concern regarding this matter.*I acknowledge that you have carried out some research on the Internet and have concluded that vehicles built prior to 2007 are also at risk of potential theft.* Third party sources, such as Internet forums or independent repair agents, do not have access to the full facts surrounding these types of issues and can, therefore, misrepresent a situation.*Vehicles built prior to 2007, were produced with different software. Therefore, they are not affected by the same method that was highlighted on BBC Watchdog.* As you can appreciate, there is no such thing as an unstealable car; however, BMW is continuing to liaise closely with the police, Thatcham and other vehicle manufacturers, to keep on top of potential criminal activities.* The additional security measure that has been developed for certain models is a goodwill gesture and should not be deemed as an admittance that a fault exists.* Any action we take is to provide peace of mind and to make thefts as difficult as possible.**Thank you for contacting BMW UK.* If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me.*Yours sincerely*BMW UKKatie BaileyCustomer Information ExecutiveEllesfield AvenueBracknell* RG12 8TA
      11-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #76
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Was the Watchdog theft issue shown with a window roll down theft?

If so, are BMW only addressing the specific watchdog issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #77
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I dont recall them showing how you gain access to the vehicle on watchdog...
Either way, very disappointing to see BMW care so little

I have seen a video where an Audi A4 can be stolen via ODB, but the process is much more convoluted. Involves access to the boot etc
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #78
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytc78 View Post
Well contacted bmw last week about pre 2007 cars being stolen via old port and guess what not interested here is the reply I got.

Thank you for your email dated*November 9, 2012.....The additional security measure that has been developed for certain models is a goodwill gesture and should not be deemed as an admittance that a fault exists....*Yours sincerely*BMW UKKatie BaileyCustomer Information ExecutiveEllesfield AvenueBracknell* RG12 8TA
Think I'll give the OBD "update" a miss, will make do with my dummy OBD port and steering wheel lock....interestingly my insurance quote this year is a good few hundred £££ less than last year, no mention of having to get the BMW "update" in any of the documentation either
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #79
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
.interestingly my insurance quote this year is a good few hundred £££ less than last year
That's the EU regulation on insurance costs having to be the same regardless of gender that came into effect recently
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #80
scottishpete
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e92 325d m sport coupe

So are they saying you can put any bmw key into key hole and it will put your windows down?

and this is the only reason these cars and getting nicked?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #81
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Not quite,

Our cars have/had a standard feature where you can roll the windows down by turning the key in the door to the 'open' direction and holding it.

This can be used by theives, bang a big scrwdriver into the lock and twist/snap it, thus opening the windows.

Apparently BMW say when the windows are down the interior alarm sensors switch to a narrow beam, which allows the thief to reach in to the OBD port without triggering the alarm.

Although most thefts reported here seem to use a broken window method, which obviously this 'fix' won't prevent.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #82
Gra
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

This 'fix' isn't even close to solving the issue.

I'll be removing my OBD this weekend. I've already got a Diskloc but I'm still not comfortable about leaving my car on the drive when I go to bed. We shouldn't have to do this.

I can only see the number of thefts increasing looking at the link above to the devices that will do the newest BMW's as well. Very worrying. Especially as the Watchdog program maintainted the cost of the devices was well into the thousands. That's not what the link above suggests....
      11-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #83
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0timbo0o View Post
I don't doubt you, I was merely speculating as to why they are not bothering with a patch for pre March 07 cars and the reason why Mar 07 is the date of choice

o0timb....
One of the reason may be:
Pre March 2007 cars may not have windows rolling feature with keylock mechanism and just on fob. (Just a guess but I many be wrong)

And that may explains it that why BMW is not interested to turn off that feature on those cars if the features does not even exist.

But pre march 2007 cars are as vulnerable as any other cars in terms of OBD vulnerability.

Last edited by makkan00; 11-13-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #84
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gra View Post
This 'fix' isn't even close to solving the issue.

Very True. NO proper OBD fix by them.
      11-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #85
PaulR
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M-Sport Auto

This thread on another forum here seems to be alluding to a fix that requires a key to be present before another can be coded.

Anybody heard anything about this before?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #86
brett23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 330d M Sport

Hi everyone. Emailed Cust Services about my car 08 330d. See the reply below.

Dear Mr McClelland

Thank you for your email dated November 12, 2012.

I certainly appreciate your concern in relation to this matter. In view of this particular form of theft; BMW UK is investigating an extra technical measure to assist our customers. We are currently working on a Quality Enhancement that will be provided to customers with vehicles manufactured between March 2007 and September 2011. Any vehicle manufactured before, or after these dates cannot be stolen in the method that was shown on the Watchdog programme, as they use a different security system.

I can advise that I have added your details to our register. Your local BMW Approved Dealership will contact you within the next eight weeks, in order to have this work carried out. Please be aware that this is not a manufacturing fault, which we are rectifying. We are simply offering additional assistance to our customer’s during this present time and as such, it will be offered as a gesture of goodwill.

In the mean time when using remote locking, ensure that your vehicle has actually locked by checking the door. Be careful with your keys and who you give them to, as there is a risk that they could be cloned.

Thank you for your patience and for contacting BMW UK.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK

Alexandra Rixom
Customer Information Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #87
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I too have read somewhere that some people seem to think the security fix requires a key to be in the slot for another to be programmed.
Is that just speculation/wishful thinking?

Anybody with a pre-08 car test if they can roll the windows down with there key in the door?
Colleague of mine has a 07 e92 and it doesn't work on it. (Not sure if its just this one though?)

If BMW really do think all the thefts are occruing by lowering the windows, that would explain why they wont be applying the fix to pre-08 cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #88
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Think I'll give the OBD "update" a miss,
Think I'll give BMW a miss.

Those two replies are enough for me. They deserve to suffer badly for thier attitude to this - it cracked wheels all over again isn't it?

Perhaps the next 'error thats not really our error' will be exploding cars, or whatever the next logical step is in technical fuckups.

Thats two more new car sales they won't see this year.

Now, can someone remove this 318d from my drive as Im bored of that now

Bavarian
Microwave
Wank

Last edited by m1bjr; 11-13-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0