E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Wet Carpet / Mildew Smell

07-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
GentMason
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i Sedan

Wet Carpet / Mildew Smell

So, don't know if this has been covered elsewhere, I searched using 'mildew smell' keywords and nada. . .

I was transporting 4 1-gallon containers from the store and left them in the truck in AZ heat while stopped at another store and I guess I left them in there a bit too long. When I returned home, one of the containers burst and soaked the carpet and everything in the trunk. . . I took everything out and put down a towel to soak it up, but that was all, before I had to run back to work. . . in the end, I am left with a trunk with a heavy mildew smell and I have left it open for the past four nights and the smell still persists. . .

I am thinking that I need to shampoo the carpet to get rid of the smell. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thank you. . . JT
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Enzymatic pet odor remover. Works great if those happened to be milk jugs too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Try silica gels and dryer sheets, along with repeated cleanings. Oh and there is the possibility that sadly you may end up needing to peel up your carpets to get to the metal below the carpet. Automotive carpets are not just carpet material, but also have a pretty thick (maybe 1"-2" of foam, which act as insulation and sound deadeners. Good luck.
Appreciate 0