E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just came home from the dealership...

07-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Just came home from the dealership...

I wanted them to check out a loud whistling sound coming from the engine bay. I was adamant about wanting to drive the tech around but all of them were at lunch. I trust my SA so I leave to eat lunch and come back to wait in th waiting area.

They didnt realize I was there and I over heard the conversation the tech had with the SA. Apparently he raced my car with another to see if anything was wrong with it. They said the sound is normal and that my car was "snappy". Faster than the other car. He asked me if I had software on there right now. I was like "Nope", took my car and left.

I'm thinking of going to another dealership and getting a 2nd opinion. If my car doesnt have a decrease in performance should I worry about the loud whistle?

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

if they said it's normal and you feel no drop off in performance, I wouldn't worry about it.. relax, turbo's like to whistle
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

raced your car against another..

hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

So their diagnosis process was racing your car against another car? and you were ok with their results??

Edit*
The other car they raced probably wasn't even warmed up yet.. hence your car feeling "more snappy"
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
If my car doesnt have a decrease in performance should I worry about the loud whistle?
That's the million dollar question.

If the noise is an indicator of a developing turbo problem that will degrade with time, then there is a possibility that the turbos will let go and cause consequential damage to other engine parts like catalytics or engine internals.

However, I think that complete turbo failure is not all that common, and most of them just die slowly and start to degrade performance.

Seems that more and more N54 owners are starting to report this whistling sound, but I have a hard time accepting the dealer calling it "normal" when brand new cars on the dealers lot are not making this sound.
Appreciate 0