E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is service guy FOS???

02-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
mtrivedi
Rep
Drives: E90i Monaco Blue, Lemon

Is service guy FOS???

Hey guys, i read the sticky above regarding bluetooth and retrofit stuff. Just called my service guy, he tells me "buddy, you already have the phone pre-wire, so you already have bluetooth". I tell him, uh, it was a 750$ option that I didnt get, I didnt get preimum package either or I-drive. Again he tells me 'I know, but i jsut ran your VIN and u have the phone prewire, so you have the BT, all u gotta do is pair it up'......Is this for real??? I havent tried it yet but sounds like he's FOS...thoughts....
thx
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

uh I doubt it but why not just try it out and see what happens?

It's pre-wired meaning the wiring is there, but the microphone and other electronic goodies probably are not I'm guessin.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
DrPowers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

My dealer from Towson BMW said the same thing.

He was wrong obviously.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

hit the menu button on the radio, do you see an option for phone? in there, do you see "BT"?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
mtrivedi
Rep

As I suspected, no luck...nada...not a BT hint anywhere to be found!!!! THis is totally unrelated (but true rant). I am sick of how a large percentage of dealers/service don;t know about several issues with the cars they sell/work on. Ive read countless posts of how they are ignorant to many different BMW issues, or give misinformation and the like. Their supporters claim 'well not all BMW centers are like that', but the fact is it is TOO LARGE A PERCENTAGE (it doesnt have to be the majority!). How would you like it of your doctor made things up, gave you wrong information, and the like. No one would tolerate it right?..because IT IS HIS JOB TO FIND OUT WHY U ARE SICK...similairly, its the sales/service JOB TO FIND OUT THE CORRECT ANSWER. I understand so many diferent models, options and the like, that it may take time to find the answer, but this whole BT thing is good example.."Buddy you already have it" WTF!!!???..but ..anyway....i got into a rant so sorry
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

yeah. sadly, good help is hard to find sometimes. i think you'll find that to be true no matter what, even with doctors
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
spazmcdougal
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i Monaco Blue

Blah! prewire only means that the wiring is there. Most BMW models fundamentally are exact clones...again I say Fundamentally. This being said, BMW on a plant level, builds the exact same car with regards to wiring and basic components, it is only towards the end where they will add specifics like CA, premium sound, seat type (leather vs cloth) etc. All cars come "prewired for all the goodies, but the configuration determines if you will get the end components to operate them in this case, no Premium package/BMW Assist = no BT. This is why alot of members are able to go to the DIY section and essentially self install OEM alarms and headlight washers. The Pre-wiring is there, just no components
Monaco Blue E90 330i l Sport Package l Premium Package l ACS Front Spoiler l ACS Side Skirts l ACS Rear Spoiler l ACS Roof Spoiler l ACS Decklid Spoiler l ACS Dual Racing Tip l ACS Shift Knob l ACS Handbrake (Aluminum) l ACS Pedals (Manual) l Pioneer AVIC-N4 Navigation l Pioneer PRS-D2000SPL Amp l Pioneer Integrated Bluetooth l Integrated Ipod l CF Emblems (Full) l
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
spazmcdougal
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i Monaco Blue

your right though. I absolutely agree that they need to hire and maintain knowledgeable staff, especially if they intend to have these people give out information to customers!
Monaco Blue E90 330i l Sport Package l Premium Package l ACS Front Spoiler l ACS Side Skirts l ACS Rear Spoiler l ACS Roof Spoiler l ACS Decklid Spoiler l ACS Dual Racing Tip l ACS Shift Knob l ACS Handbrake (Aluminum) l ACS Pedals (Manual) l Pioneer AVIC-N4 Navigation l Pioneer PRS-D2000SPL Amp l Pioneer Integrated Bluetooth l Integrated Ipod l CF Emblems (Full) l
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrivedi View Post
Hey guys, i read the sticky above regarding bluetooth and retrofit stuff. Just called my service guy, he tells me "buddy, you already have the phone pre-wire, so you already have bluetooth". I tell him, uh, it was a 750$ option that I didnt get, I didnt get preimum package either or I-drive. Again he tells me 'I know, but i jsut ran your VIN and u have the phone prewire, so you have the BT, all u gotta do is pair it up'......Is this for real??? I havent tried it yet but sounds like he's FOS...thoughts....
thx

The problem with these SAs is that they have almost never encountered a vehicle WITHOUT a TCU already in place.

Trust me, I called so many service representatives and they always TRY to tell me I already have a TCU.

Phone communication with service advisers will never work. You gotta bring your car in there in person and speak to your SA and show him the relevant SIB and installation instructions.

When the mechanic removed my trunk liner and saw I had no TCU he was pretty shocked.

And yes, 10/10 SAs I have spoken to told me homelink is not compatible with my vehicle and retrofitting would never be possible even if I spent $2,000.

Um okay...they really know nothing. I just had it retrofitted with help from friends.

And for the bluetooth retrofit, I have had a different solution and price each time I call to inquire.

Bottom Line is:

1. If you need to retrofit something, chat with Evan@Tischer - he is a great source of info.
2. Once you have pricing for a part, research part compatibility
3. Check for relevant SIB and installtion *pdf
4. Bring this to your SA in person.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
mtrivedi
Rep

I know you guys are right, I just went off on a rant so sorry. I will take my car tomorrow to the dealer. And AoshichanX, I'v ebeen following your other thread and got my fingers craossed for you man, hope the retrofit works!! Good luck!
Appreciate 0