E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things you didnt know about your 3 series.

01-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #199
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Nice post. If I'm feeling like a lively drive I've started activating DTC in all conditions. It still provides intervention, but is less intrusive.

I tried a hard start with everything off yesterday - serious wheelspin !

There wasn't enough slippery stuff to play with everything off, but that should be fun if it gets here.. I definitely need to find a much bigger place too. Although lately I'm really loving this winter the way it is, and no more snow would be great..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #200
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiphile View Post
by default: DTC AND DSC are on - they compliment eachother, traction control and stability control.
1 press - turn DSC off, DTC remains on (stability off, traction on)
1 press and hold for 5 seconds - both DTC and DSC are off (stability and traction off)

CORRECT.

DTC is a component of DSC
Some other components are turned off and DTC remains on when you press the DTC button. Even though some other components are turned off, the overall system, DSC is still turned on along with the sub component DTC.
Holding the button Disables DTC and the rest of the DSC components.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #201
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgti View Post
you are right, in NA cars, holding the lock button on the remote does not close all the windows/sunroof. i believe they were afraid of potential litigation. but it definitely works if you use the keyhole. that was really what i was referring to in my post above. my e36 and 95 gti only came with keys
I addressed this at the bottom of page 5.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #202
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

so what is the safest mode to drive in when there is a light coating of snow? DTC "on" by pressing the button once???
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #203
audiphile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CORRADO SLC, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesegal99 View Post
so what is the safest mode to drive in when there is a light coating of snow? DTC "on" by pressing the button once???

Just leave the button on, and never touch it. The car was designed with all the default safety features enabled by default, without your intervention.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #204
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesegal99 View Post
The "safest" would be everything active (no warnings on the dash). But sometimes some wheelspin is required (deep snow) or unavoidable (starting off on an icy road), so DTC-only would be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 04:17 AM   #205
LateralG
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M54E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
Well as we got quite a bit of Snow here now , let me say that you've got it a little backwards.

DSC = Dynamic Stability Control --> Works to keep your car stable

When DSC is On (Default - No light in dashboard), DTC is also on, as it's a part of DSC. DSC uses many sensors and very computing to keep your car on the indented trajectory:
  • ABS
  • DTC
  • Throttle Control
  • Yaw Angle
  • Steering wheel angle
  • CBC (Cornering Brake Control)

I tested it Driving on a snow covered wide space (little bit icy under snow), and did a quick turn @ 45Km/h, DCS intervened and cut throttle (even as I was pressing harder) braked some of the wheels and kept the car going where I was pointing it.

In other words, when DSC kicks in, you are no longer really controlling all the inputs besides steering or if you decide to completely get off throttle and slam brakes.

DSC is all about Stability!

DTC = Dynamic Traction Control --> Work to keep your drivewheels from spinning out of control

When you do a quick press of the DTC button; (DTC light in dashboard),the car is basically warning you that only DTC is on. DTC works manly with ABS to keep your drive wheels from spinning out of control.

I tested it Driving on that same snow covered wide space (little bit icy under snow), and did a quick turn @ 45Km/h, The rear of the car went out and I had to counter steer to bring it back where I wanted & DSC kicked in as I gave more gas and kept the wheels spinning while limiting spin.

In other words, when DTC kicks you are controlling all the inputs, it will not factor in anything for you besides limiting drive wheels spin (not an LSD) to give you a certain level of TRACTION.

What that made me realize is that it's nice to be a good driver and control you car, but If I did the same thing on the road with only DTC on... the ass of the car would have either, clipped a curb, guard rail or a car next to me.

LAST:
If you keep the button pressed for a little longer ... then you are on your own with the Beast.

Again I tried my little test with all of it off. I can tell you that, with the amount of torque in the car the wheels in snow or ice (even with very little throttle), the engine revved and the wheels spun and spun and spun ... no Traction.

I would recommend this mode either on track or on nice warm day at limited speeds.
how about.. ASC.. haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #206
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiphile View Post
Just leave the button on, and never touch it. The car was designed with all the default safety features enabled by default, without your intervention.
So then why does the owner's manual say the following...

Name:  New Picture (3).bmp
Views: 9744
Size:  240.2 KB
      01-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #207
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
I've noticed that if my seat heater is on and then I shut off the car and push REST, the seat heater will turn back on when I start the car again (if REST is still active).
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #208
MrWorf
Today is a good day to drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i Convertible

I believe the manual states that the seat heater will resume if the car is started within 30 minutes.
      01-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #209
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Back to the unlocking topic (where the owner's manual says never lock someone inside the car while you are outside of the car holding the fob)

Found this:

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #210
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
iDdrive only w/voice control. Some probably know this, and it is really more of a 'cool' feature than convenient. While in FM Radio or CD mode: (1) hit the voice button, and then (2) specify the radio station or CD track number. Example, "1" "0" "4" "." "3" and then 104.3 will come on. Also, while in CD, speak "track 14," then track 14 will come on. Comes in handy on big CD's, but now hardly use this since I mostly listen to Sirius.

Speaking of that, does anyone know any voice commands for Sirius? I know "sat radio on," but that's it.
      01-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #211
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron1043 View Post
iDdrive only w/voice control. Some probably know this, and it is really more of a 'cool' feature than convenient. While in FM Radio or CD mode: (1) hit the voice button, and then (2) specify the radio station or CD track number. Example, "1" "0" "4" "." "3" and then 104.3 will come on. Also, while in CD, speak "track 14," then track 14 will come on. Comes in handy on big CD's, but now hardly use this since I mostly listen to Sirius.

Speaking of that, does anyone know any voice commands for Sirius? I know "sat radio on," but that's it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=voice

search is your friend.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #212
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Ditto what poldim said about searching for more voice commands - but to clarify one point you may not know, you don't need to be on the entertainment screens. Try saying "CD Track 1" or "FM 104 point 3" or "FM Frequency 104 point 3" or whatever from any other iDrive screen. It works!

A tip to voice command users who get a lot of "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you" responses: don't talk after the beep, talk after the little icon for voice entry appears in the lower left corner of the iDrive screen (about a second after the beep). I went from a 75% success ratio with the voice recognition to near 100% when I started doing that. I read it as a tip here on e90post, so props to whomever posted that, can't remember who it was.
      01-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #213
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
So then why does the owner's manual say the following...

Attachment 56148
Here is my experience and take on the manual reference.

I have been driving in a lot of snow since I got my 335i on 12/30. As it says, DTC is good for certain conditions when maybe a little slipping is good. For instance, I had to try and plow through a drift going across my street yesterday that was 6-8" deep and 20-30' across. This is too deep for the car to clear it, so I went in and out of it a couple times to get through. With DSC on originally, power was cut and braking was applied to different wheels, including the fronts, to keep the car going straight. This slowed my momentum greatly. When I deactivated DSC and was in DTC mode, the car would allow me to gas hard and spin the wheels quite a bit, but kept the power to each rear wheel even giving me some push. It also didn't act at all on the front wheels like before because it didn't care if the car was not going straight. I was very impressed I was able to get through when at first I thought I'd done a stupid thing.

Once I got onto snow packed roads the DTC is not as helpful because it allows the car to go sideways. This is fun if your trying to slide around corners, but in traffic or tight driving spaces the DSC really manages to keep the car going in the direction it is pointed.

I have a round-a-bout in the neighborhood that has almost constantly had a layer of ice on it since I got the car. When I go around it with DSC on, it is amazing how it uses the brakes to counteract push, it seems to actually create a bit of lock up at the rear to bring the back end around in small amounts to keep the car pointed straight. Obviously I could outdrive its capabilities and slide off the street, but driving within reason it really does an amazing job.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #214
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
CORRECT.

DTC is a component of DSC
Some other components are turned off and DTC remains on when you press the DTC button. Even though some other components are turned off, the overall system, DSC is still turned on along with the sub component DTC.
Holding the button Disables DTC and the rest of the DSC components.
This isn't quite right.

When you press the button it says:

"DTC activated, DSC restricted"

Clearly this means DTC is NOT on until you press the button.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #215
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
This isn't quite right.

When you press the button it says:

"DTC activated, DSC restricted"

Clearly this means DTC is NOT on until you press the button.
No, DTC is part of the DSC system. It is just telling you that DTC only is active, the stability portion is off. See LateralG's post which shows DTC as a component of DSC.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #216
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Toad View Post
No, DTC is part of the DSC system. It is just telling you that DTC only is active, the stability portion is off. See LateralG's post which shows DTC as a component of DSC.
I agree that DTC is a subsiduary component of DSC.

But the sequence is this:

DSC is on at start up

Press the button and Idrive says:

"DTC is activated, DSC restricted"

It doesn't say

"DTC still activated, DSC restricted"

DTC is OFF when you start up .... you press the button to switch it ON and restrict DSC. You press and hold to switch off DSC.

I THINK that DTC is essentially just a different set of software parameters for the DSC safety systems. The extract of the manual posted above suggests this when it says "DTC is a version of DSC"

So ... initially DSC is running ... then when you activate DTC different parametes are applied.

This is less safe ... but it allows some wheelspin which is important when traction is low.
Appreciate 1
Richwm65.00
      01-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #217
yowsa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperD View Post
I might as well chip in

iDrive:

- hold the controller in any of the four directions to immediately jump to that section (specifically, to the last page you were at in that section)

I love this bit of info--I was always cursing i-Drive for going back to the main menu each time I move to any of the 4 directions.

E92 335i, TiAg, Black Leather, Aluminum Trim, 6spd Manual

Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav, PDC, CA, SIRIUS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #218
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Beating a dead horse...

BMW introduced confusion with DTC terminology in the owners manual, as evidenced in this thread, and many others before on the same topic.

The manual states DTC is "active" when you push the button once, and remove traction restriction function (i.e with DTC "active", it allow wheels to spin on a slippery surface). Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #219
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
=ScheerSpeed;636364-under the rear seats there are these air canister looking things connected to the seatbelt holder thing. (no clue what they are for)
explosvise canisters...when you get in a bad accident, they get triggered to pull the rear seatbelt tight.

Ever played with one of those things before?

I brought used black M3 seats for my '74 Nova ($200!) , took them out because they wouldn't fit a chevy buckle.

Put - and + to the yellow wires going into that tube...and watch it pop then jump with a light puff of smoke!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #220
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:

What is the sound quality like with sirius...I have yet to get a subscription although I have the option because XM sound quality in my other car is horrible.
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0