E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Servicing

09-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Servicing

Hi, I am about to purchase a vehicle, and have found one thing on its service history.
The vehicle is due for service now, I can accept that, but noticing that the last service was done in July 2011, and there wasn't any service done in 2012... Is it normal? Or could there be some extreme cases that the iDrive didn't "require" a service? (I would get the car serviced once I have taken it. But just thinking if there is any reasons why there was no service done in 2012. Is the 1000000km service a very substantial one and the previous owner didn't bother it? I am gong to buy the car from a dealer, so, he knows nothing about the service history as claimed)

Current odometer 116000km
Last service at 84866km 14/7/2011
Time lapsed since last service 2 years 2 months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

There are no scheduled services as far as I know other than a vehicle inspection every 12 months or xxxxx kms. Also 25,000kms between at least an engine oil change is a bit too long for me but is within BMW limits. When I reset my engine oil timer it told me the next one was due in 38,000kms if I remember correctly.

How much are you considering paying for this car?

If I were you, I'd take your money and buy a car with lower kms via private sale. Buy Shane's (drjekl) car.
      09-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

love lost

I think the old owner may have just lost interest in the car, maybe it was number three in the family fleet, if it still runs why service it
Make sure you have it checked out before you purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
There are no scheduled services as far as I know other than a vehicle inspection every 12 months or xxxxx kms. Also 25,000kms between at least an engine oil change is a bit too long for me but is within BMW limits. When I reset my engine oil timer it told me the next one was due in 38,000kms if I remember correctly.

How much are you considering paying for this car?

If I were you, I'd take your money and buy a car with lower kms via private sale. Buy Shane's (drjekl) car.
Thanks. Yes, even if it said that the servicing interval to be 25000km, i will still conduct the service every 10000km/once a year at least.
I am paying for $33000 for the car and DRjekl's one is great, but beyond my budget unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
I think the old owner may have just lost interest in the car, maybe it was number three in the family fleet, if it still runs why service it
Make sure you have it checked out before you purchase.
I think so...and that is why i am concerned, and wonder if the delayed service will further ruin the vehicle condition, considering its high mileage.

I am getting a pre purchase inspection over this vehicle and hopefully the mechanic will be able to detect anything bad for me.

What would you recommend me to pay attention to during the pre purchase inspection? so that i can alert the mechanic too.
And do you have any good experience with any mechanic who would perform pre purcahse inspection in Vic?
Thanks Peter
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
I think so...and that is why i am concerned, and wonder if the delayed service will further ruin the vehicle condition, considering its high mileage.

I am getting a pre purchase inspection over this vehicle and hopefully the mechanic will be able to detect anything bad for me.

What would you recommend me to pay attention to during the pre purchase inspection? so that i can alert the mechanic too.
And do you have any good experience with any mechanic who would perform pre purcahse inspection in Vic?
Thanks Peter
The biggest issue is with engine oil sludge due to lack of servicing so have the inspector pay attention to that.
If it has sludge don't buy it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
The biggest issue is with engine oil sludge due to lack of servicing so have the inspector pay attention to that.
If it has sludge don't buy it
I have got the mechanic to check the vehicle tomorrow, and will know how's the condition of the vehicle. Thanks Peter.
thought I could use the tyres for the new rims that I am going to buy, but the car comes with style 67 19" rims with 245/35/19 for ALL wheels.....why would the previous owner changed the rims to 67 and equipped all with 245/35.....
Appreciate 0