E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > A/C works like crap in AZ!!

07-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #23
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

Try closing the rear vents and shutting off the drink cooler in the arm rest. That may help a little. Also, the MAX function if you haven't already.

I think the 335 has but one electric fan to force air thru the radiator, the a/c condenser, and the air charge cooler. I'd think it would have been designed strong enough to handle all that, but I thought I'd point that out anyway.

Are you leaving the car parked in the sun, without a sun shade perhaps? The dash warms up real quick in the sun, which affects the perceived initial cooling.

Does your car have the separate oil cooler? If not, perhaps that's affecting the a/c cooling in extreme conditions--if at all, that is.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #24
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragadellic View Post
The second part of your statement is correct, which makes me think the first part was a typo.

Obviously you don't want recirculated air at the start because the temp in the car is MUCH higher than the outside air. The last thing you want to do is recirculate the much hotter air in the car and try to cool that rather than pulling in the outside air, cooling it, and forcing out the hot air from inside.

On a related note, I was watching a Diamondbacks-Giants game tonight and those people were all wearing jackets. It was 58 degrees at the game. That's winter here....

Yes you want recirc at first. You set it to MAX to get the most air flow (which is recirc) and you open the windows for a minute to exhaust the superheated air so it equalizes with the outside temperature.
You will cut down several minutes of cooling time if you don't try to cool the interior with closed windows while it's still 30 degrees hotter inside than outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #25
PiperG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

I live here in AZ, and my a/c is very cold. I just use some of the tips already mentioned in the above replies.

Recirculated air seems to be a little colder. I usually can't drive around with the temp set lower than 70 degrees or I start freezing.

If all these tips don't work, then maybe take her in the the dealer.....
2008 E90 335i.| Montego | Black Leather| Aluminum Trim | Premium | Sports Package with 18's | Sirius Sat Radio | Comfort Access | Rear fold down seats | Ordered on May 05, 2008. | Born on May 15, 2008 / Delivered July 23, 2008
Appreciate 0