E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Car Is Unresponsive/Won't Start

05-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 LCI

Help! Car Is Unresponsive/Won't Start

So I go to start my car this morning in the garage and my car doors don't unlock? I opened the car with the actual key by inserting it in the door and it opened the car but the car was unresponsive. car didn't start, no lights,no noise, centre unlock button didn't work. does anyone have any idea what this could be I know there is a battery recall and I have a scheduled appointment in 2 weeks. BTW. my car is a 2011 328xi with comfort access. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

2011 E90 LCI BSM | Eibach | Alufelgen CS7 | AFE | BMS PBX | M-Tech | ACS | Performance Kidney Grills | LUX V3 | H&R
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

anyone?

2011 E90 LCI BSM | Eibach | Alufelgen CS7 | AFE | BMS PBX | M-Tech | ACS | Performance Kidney Grills | LUX V3 | H&R
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Sounds like a battery issue. When you try to start it can you hear it crank at least? Or does nothing happen at all. Doors not unlocking/locking tends to be either the solenoid or actuators, but in combination with your other symptoms I think it's likely your battery is done.

Perhaps it's just completely dead for some reason and needs a boost? Try that first to see if you can get it to start, and if so drive around for awhile and let the alternator do its thing. Good luck.

Last edited by Kalidian; 05-31-2013 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
Sounds like a battery issue. When you try to start it can you hear it crank at least? Or does nothing happen at all. Doors not unlocking/locking tends to be either the solenoid or actuators, but in combination with your other symptoms I think it's likely your battery is done.

Perhaps it's just completely dead for some reason and needs a boost? Try that first to see if you can get it to start, and if so drive around for awhile and let the alternator do its thing. Good luck.
No crank at all nothing happens no sounds no lights on dash... I'm getting it towed to BMW. I have a BMS power box tune I hope this won't effect anything

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post

No crank at all nothing happens no sounds no lights on dash... I'm getting it towed to BMW. I have a BMS power box tune I hope this won't effect anything

yeaaaa, you definitely should take off your tune, especially when it has to do with ECU. They can give you a hard time.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailpersia View Post
yeaaaa, you definitely should take off your tune, especially when it has to do with ECU. They can give you a hard time.
+1. Remove that tune before your car gets to the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Check your battery for 12v at the battery with a multi tester...(they are easy to find if you dont have one, and not expensive)

if you have 12v at the battery you can at least rule that out......car should at least crank with 12v, or you should get lights inside, doors opening, ect....

if you dont, It could be an IBS issue (intelligent battery sensor) that is not letting power through the wiring to your cars system, including starter, door locks, ect....

I didnt know the recall covered cars as new as 2011 models...but if its the main battery cable connection at the fuse box, then that is definitely your problem....I think in the later models, the connection becomes loose and they install a new locknut or something similar.

JP
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

remove the tune, what if it doesn't cover by warranty???
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
The battery in the key is most likely dead. Mine has given me some warning notices in the NAV every now and then, the other day I had to insert the key to start it, it wouldn't start w the key in my pocket. I believe that having the key in the ignition charges the key battery.. someone correct me if im mistaken. In any event, take it to the dealer.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCHOP View Post
The battery in the key is most likely dead. Mine has given me some warning notices in the NAV every now and then, the other day I had to insert the key to start it, it wouldn't start w the key in my pocket. I believe that having the key in the ignition charges the key battery.. someone correct me if im mistaken. In any event, take it to the dealer.
This only happens with Non- CA cars ie the charging of the keyfob battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Revision2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE90 View Post
anyone?
Quote:
Man that sucks. Please let us know what it ends up being. Definitely remove the tune first as many have stated. Since you're an '11 it should be all covered under warranty. Also, in the future you should try cross posting to the TN group as you might be quicker responses there.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

i did not have time to remove the tune i got it towed away to the dealership on friday. they said they will start working on the car today (monday) they are pretty friendly with me their and i know some of the service advisors and some of the employees there personally. hopefully everything goes well. I miss my car they have given me a F30 as a loaner, sport line with red interior....pretty nice. hopefully all goes well will be posting with updates. thanks for the help guys.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision2 View Post
Man that sucks. Please let us know what it ends up being. Definitely remove the tune first as many have stated. Since you're an '11 it should be all covered under warranty. Also, in the future you should try cross posting to the TN group as you might be quicker responses there.

Good luck!
thanks revision. i was going to post in truenorth but already started getting responses here. hopefully there's no next time but if there is il be sure to post up in truenorth

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCHOP View Post
thats what i originally thought too but when i unlocked the doors physically i tried my hazards and they wernt working too, so i ruled out the battery in the key fob. also with comfort access the keys dont charge when you have it in the slot thanks for the help.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So they said that my battery was completely drained and they re charged it. What I don't get is how when I tried bosting the car myself it was still unresponsive. They also went ahead and did the recall service should be done today I will pick her up tomrow. They also mentioned they are charging me 150 because they ran a diagnostic. Does this seem normal or reasonable?

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
So they said that my battery was completely drained and they re charged it. What I don't get is how when I tried bosting the car myself it was still unresponsive. They also went ahead and did the recall service should be done today I will pick her up tomrow. They also mentioned they are charging me 150 because they ran a diagnostic. Does this seem normal or reasonable?
If your car is under full manufacturer warranty and by looking at the year of the car it should be then you shouldn't have to pay a penny as it is bumper to bumper and BMW should cover towing as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
If your car is under full manufacturer warranty and by looking at the year of the car it should be then you shouldn't have to pay a penny as it is bumper to bumper and BMW should cover towing as well.
my car is under full warranty but they said the diagnostic isn't covered by warranty

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
my car is under full warranty but they said the diagnostic isn't covered by warranty
This is not correct. Other than tires you are not supposed to be paying antyhing. My battery died, I jumped it and brought it in; they swapped it out no charge. If you are under the 4yr/50,000 you should pay nothing. Unless they are charging you due to the tune, if thats the case they would have to prove that your tune affected the battery. I wouldn't let that fly if I were you.

Note* I see you're located outside of the US, not sure if its different in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
As mentioned above everything should be covered under 4 years/ 80 000 kms warranty. They are trying to rip you off unless they discovered the tune and if that is the case they could void your warranty all together.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
As mentioned above everything should be covered under 4 years/ 80 000 kms warranty. They are trying to rip you off unless they discovered the tune and if that is the case they could void your warranty all together.
they never mentioned the tune they said the diagnostic didnt show any defects so they charge 150 for the diagnostic and the charged my battery. why would the even run the diagnostic before trying to charge the battery...

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
RNE90
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update* they replaced the battery and waived the diagnostic fee so I don't have to pay anything I did have to call bmw Canada to get this done though

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Have you tired kicking you car?
Theres a small chance that it would work :P