E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need Advice I Really Messed Up

05-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Need Advice I Really Messed Up

So i was chasing the 30ff code and somehow i forgot that i had microfiber towels inside the air intakes. my friend started the car and i notice the boost gauge fluttering. I look at the intake and notice my stupid self-forgot that the towels were in theirs. they didn't manage to get far, was able to get it out but now the car is smoking and vibrating alot. any advice will help im so stupid ... should i let the car idle it out ? i mean the towels came out perfect nothing missing from them .
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

If they, or no part of them, didn't get to the turbos, I don't see how any damage could have occurred. My guess is that your problem isn't directly related.

Last edited by Emilime75; 05-13-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

so why is it smoking all of sudden after that? and idling rough could little microfibers gotten caught in there?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 03:00 AM   #4
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

this is whats it looking like....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Don't know, just going off of what you wrote. There are multiple reasons that can cause the car to smoke idle rough.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

That's a ton of smoke...
With the intake plugged with rags, the engine will pull a TON of vacuum to try and pull enough air to stay running. I'm guessing that vacuum either damaged some portion of the PCV system, or popped a turbo oil seal. Does the smoke smell like oil or fuel?
If you put enough vacuum on the intake tract, I suppose it could have pulled a bunch of fuel through the evap lines.
I'd probably pull the intake manifold to see if it has oil or fuel inside, check the evap line at the throttle body, and check the holes at the top of each intake port.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
whyzee1251675.50
      05-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #7
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
That's a ton of smoke...
With the intake plugged with rags, the engine will pull a TON of vacuum to try and pull enough air to stay running. I'm guessing that vacuum either damaged some portion of the PCV system, or popped a turbo oil seal. Does the smoke smell like oil or fuel?
If you put enough vacuum on the intake tract, I suppose it could have pulled a bunch of fuel through the evap lines.
I'd probably pull the intake manifold to see if it has oil or fuel inside, check the evap line at the throttle body, and check the holes at the top of each intake port.
from my research correct me if im wrong i can just replace the whole valve cover to fix the PVC system ?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Microfiber is very soft and would have easily burned up. My guess is what rocket said, it's probably a combination of poulled oil into your exhaust combined with cold weather. Have you really driven the car yet or avoiding it because of the smoke?

If you pulled in oil into the exhaust it could take you 5-10 miles or more to burn it all off. When I swapped my turbos after one blew I had smoke that was still heavy as if I didn't replace the turbos but after a few good drives it was all gone. If you still have smoke after a good drive or it turns a different color then it's something worse.

The first thing I would do personally, is let it idle for a while like 30 to 60mins. This will help remove residual oil as well as help burn any fibers that might still be in the engine. Then once the smoke stops I'd do an oil change just to be safe that there arnt an fibers still in the oil that's not getting burned up. You definitly don't want them to block any oils lines (the least likely scenario, but it doesn't hurt to be extra safe)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Microfiber is very soft and would have easily burned up. My guess is what rocket said, it's probably a combination of poulled oil into your exhaust combined with cold weather. Have you really driven the car yet or avoiding it because of the smoke?

If you pulled in oil into the exhaust it could take you 5-10 miles or more to burn it all off. When I swapped my turbos after one blew I had smoke that was still heavy as if I didn't replace the turbos but after a few good drives it was all gone. If you still have smoke after a good drive or it turns a different color then it's something worse.

The first thing I would do personally, is let it idle for a while like 30 to 60mins. This will help remove residual oil as well as help burn any fibers that might still be in the engine. Then once the smoke stops I'd do an oil change just to be safe that there arnt an fibers still in the oil that's not getting burned up. You definitly don't want them to block any oils lines (the least likely scenario, but it doesn't hurt to be extra safe)
ok cool well im in the the middle of removing my downpipes again and by the vbands i can see oil stains . and prior to taking it out i remember there was no oil present . so ill inspect the turbos and do what u suggested. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyjimenez3 View Post
ok cool well im in the the middle of removing my downpipes again and by the vbands i can see oil stains . and prior to taking it out i remember there was no oil present . so ill inspect the turbos and do what u suggested. thanks!
ok so upon removing the downpipes i saw my rear turbo covered in what it looks like is oil. the turbine barley spins !! the front one spins perfectly but the rear one barley spins which is prob due to the oil ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

To much vacuum and no air might and destroyed the turbo seals or they were already on the way out and this pushed it over the edge and made it fully happen. Looks like it's time for a rebuild or a turbo swap. Either way you should be happy seeing this because your engine is probably in good shape.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 03:06 AM   #12
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To much vacuum and no air might and destroyed the turbo seals or they were already on the way out and this pushed it over the edge and made it fully happen. Looks like it's time for a rebuild or a turbo swap. Either way you should be happy seeing this because your engine is probably in good shape.
i relieved too but what troubles me is that prior to this i was chasing this stupid 30ff code hopefully its the turbos since im going to get them replaced anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyjimenez3 View Post
i relieved too but what troubles me is that prior to this i was chasing this stupid 30ff code hopefully its the turbos since im going to get them replaced anyways.
Maybe it's just a fluke then and the turbos were on the last leg anyways? It's the perfect time to upgrade them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
halik008
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

My blow rear turbo also has a hell of a work waste flapper, to the point it was catching on a burr midway in it's travel and triggering 30FF.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #15
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it's just a fluke then and the turbos were on the last leg anyways? It's the perfect time to upgrade them.
ok so im getting new turbos installed some time next week. but ive spotted oil dripping through a little crack in my rear inlet. no my new fear is putting new turbos and oil seeping into it . also see oil by the pcv hose
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #16
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok so i havent started the car up in about two weeks and the past couple of weeks the weather was literally any where from 40 degrees or 90 and it has been humid . is this normal after a start up for water to be coming out of the exhaust ?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Rear turbo inlet is connected to the PCV so there will be always some oil (vapor) going in. Probably faulty PCV is to blame for the accelarated rear turbo wear. Water from the exhaust is ok. It's from condensation and car wash too.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #18
jyjimenez3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok quick question . So i let the car sit out for about 15 min and now the smoking is gone . i was gunna tow it to a shop, because my turbos are coming in tomorrow. now can i get away with driving the car to them? its not smoking no more and im not hitting boost. the shop is about 20 miles away. and i would drive locally. any suggestions ? thanks !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
rgfinn76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport Coupe

Granny drive it slow enough to keep it from building boost. When my turbos blew I drove car real slow back and forth to work about 5 miles each way for 3 days.

You should be ok
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50