E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Vacation Planning

02-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Vacation Planning

Every 2 years my uncle's company takes us (and his employees) on a vacation. This year we're going to the Bahamas. However, my relatives and my family are planning to stop by NY for a few days before heading over to the Bahamas. Then we will come back to NY and take a tour from there. We're hoping to visit Washington DC, Canada and whatever else they offer.

Usually the company books the trip for everyone. This year Im responsible for booking it for the family (relatives included). I gotta admit that I dont even know where to start looking for tour agent/guide. I need to start booking within the next 2-3 days.

I thought since there are members here that live in NY, maybe you guys could help me out?? THanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Wow! From the bay area to Canada; New York; Washington, DC; and the Bahamas, that's quite a vacation.

I have no idea about New York but the DC area is chock full of interesting places.
  • If you're there for several days the Smithsonian Institution is fascinating.
  • The monuments can be interesting for a first timer: Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson.
  • Bring your political placard and walk about in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
  • With advanced planning I think you can still get gallery tickets for the Senate and House chambers from your senator's and congressman's offices (if that interests you).
  • Across the river is Old Town Alexandria and further down the GW Parkway is Mount Vernon. Further downriver is Gunston Hall, home of George Mason. Across the river from Mount Vernon is Fort Washington.
  • Across Memorial Bridge is Arlington National Cemetery with the Tomb of the Unknowns; the Iwo Jima Memorial is just north of the entrance on the GWP.
  • An hour's drive south (traffic permitting) is Historic Fredericksburg with colonial era and Civil War era features. I haven't been through the colonial tour in thirty years so don't know offhand how well the sites have been maintained. The area is dotted with CW battlefields such as Chancellorsville and Wilderness (where Stonewall Jackson was killed).
  • East of Fredericksburg, in Westmoreland County, is Wakefield, where George Washington was born; further east along VA 3 is Stratford Hall, the home of the Lee's of Virginia including General Robert E. Lee.
  • An hour's drive west is Manassas, also with Civil War era points of interest.
  • Out towards Dulles International is the Air & Space Museum. Parking is rather expensive but is offset by the free admission (the more people in the car/van the cheaper it is per person).
  • Two to three hours from Washington, outside Charlottesville, is Montecello (the building on the back of the nickel) which was the home of Thomas Jefferson.
  • Depending on time of year, there's baseball in DC (Nationals) and Baltimore (Orioles); basketball (Wizards -- who came up with that name?); hockey (Capitals).
Hmm, it appears I'm interested in history, aviation, and museums.

I got stung on my wrist when I vacationed in the Bahamas and it swelled up to the size of my forearm. Spent most of the trip zonked out on Benedryl. I can accurately say I had a swell time in the Bahamas.

If you're a member of AAA you can get TourBooks and maps. These have a lot of information on things to see, things to do, where to stay, where to eat, etc.

Bon Voyage.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

wow holy crap. Seems like you know a lot about DC. I just found a tour that pretty much covers all the places you've mentioned. It's a 3 day tour of DC and Niagra Falls. Thanks for the suggesions
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Niagara Falls is something like a six or seven hour drive from Washington, D.C. You'll be spending most of your three day tour on a bus. It will seem like a landlocked Gilligan's Island without Mary Ann.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Wow....Bahamas..NY...DC....then Cananda??

Thats some vacation and a bag of chips
Appreciate 0