E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blown turbo leading to more issues?

07-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
WylieCoyote
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Blown turbo leading to more issues?

Alrighty, so I am looking for so help regarding my situation. I am out driving to a meet and my car started to make a loud buzzing noise and then it stopped... after 5-10 minutes of driving through construction I was finally able to pull over. Once pulled over, there was white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I decide to leave my car there and come get it the next morning to bring it to a shop. After leaving it at the shop and getting the call back, I was told that my turbo was indeed blown, but it caused more issues. They said that after looking at the oil there was metal in the oil and that there was something off with the timing chain, so I should just drop the car totally because the engine was done for. I am a little skeptical about the whole "drop the car" idea because its not something that I want to do, but I honestly don't know how I should go about fixing it. I am wondering what steps I should take in order to fix the car or possibly get the correct diagnosis if this one is indeed false.

2011 335I XDrive N55
82,000 Miles
FBO w/JB4 Map 5
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

it is possible for a failed turbo to send metal into the intake.
It's not likely that it makes it through the intercooler though.

It is also possible your n55 is suffering bearing issues and polluting it's own oil and that was unrelated to the turbo failure.

Did they send you photos of the filter?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Metal shavings in the oil can come from the turbo since oil runs to and from the turbo for cooling/lubrication. If timing was off you would be throwing errors... I would change turbo/oil and call it a day. If the issue is the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

On Subarus, turbos grenade into the oil supply and trash blocks every day. On BMWs, possible but much less common. More likely an oil problem elsewhere (leaky injectors, e.g.) trashed the turbos while trashing the block. Either way, glitter in oil = dead engine. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I'd bet your rod bearings are the cause of the oil contamination. If you like the car, it's worth saving but you may need a new engine and/or new turbo. if you want to save it, i'd probably take it somewhere else and prepare to inspect the bearings and turbo by dropping the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

What's going on with the timing chain?? If the metal in the oil is from that also then you got a tear down on your hands, but tossing it away outright I say no.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0