E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #6139
PGZ11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Hoping someone can help me with an issue I am having with the accessport ... went to load a new map (e85 map!) and accessport got stuck trying to communicate with vehicle. So i tried to monitor live data and it says "cannot communicate with vehicle". I did update to the latest firmware just before trying this map change. Thing is, I did some logging just last week and no problems.

I did notice that the cobb cable is wobbly where it connects to OBD port when connected and if I push downward lightly on the connector the AP loses connection/power until i push it back up. However, it was the same last week when i was logging.

SO i am thinking it could be the firmware update OR the cable OR (praying it is not) the OBD port somehow got messed up. I took a pic of the OBD port if anyone can compare and see if anything looks "funny". Thanks for any advice.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #6140
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
I believe he was banned for the video he posted. Could be wrong on that. But his ban was about the same time the thread was closed. Of coarse, he was also involved in the failed abortion of a thread that the PROcede flash review became. It appears the only way to avoid a ban is to keep your head down and not get involved in "discussions" with fanbois with no technical knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surquhar View Post
No- I think he was trying to post a cool vid of a SC M3 vs E92. I have RB car in FL. Where are the ST guys?? ??????????????????????????????
Keep your head down i guess so?? Surguhar is gone......

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #6141
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZ11 View Post
Hoping someone can help me with an issue I am having with the accessport ... went to load a new map (e85 map!) and accessport got stuck trying to communicate with vehicle. So i tried to monitor live data and it says "cannot communicate with vehicle". I did update to the latest firmware just before trying this map change. Thing is, I did some logging just last week and no problems.

I did notice that the cobb cable is wobbly where it connects to OBD port when connected and if I push downward lightly on the connector the AP loses connection/power until i push it back up. However, it was the same last week when i was logging.

SO i am thinking it could be the firmware update OR the cable OR (praying it is not) the OBD port somehow got messed up. I took a pic of the OBD port if anyone can compare and see if anything looks "funny". Thanks for any advice.

That sounds like the cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #6142
PGZ11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335XI

thanks, i'm gonna see if i can find someone nearby to try a different cable
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #6143
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZ11

Just updated and had same problem. AP went into recovery mode. No problems in the past. IJEOS ECU.
      09-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #6144
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G80 Comp xDrive

DPs vs FMIC for Cobb AP

So I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in these 281 pages but then I was hoping I could get a quick answer. I recently installed a Cobb AP on my 2007 335i Sedan AT and I'm currently running the Stage 1 "Sport" ST map. The only mod I have now is the AFE Stage 2 Intake with Dual Air Scoops.

I was looking into my next mod and was wondering whether to get a FMIC and use the Stage 1+ maps or go with the catted DPs and use the Stage 2 maps. In other words, which of these routes would yield the most power, since these mods are similar in price?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #6145
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb224 View Post
So I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in these 281 pages but then I was hoping I could get a quick answer. I recently installed a Cobb AP on my 2007 335i Sedan AT and I'm currently running the Stage 1 "Sport" ST map. The only mod I have now is the AFE Stage 2 Intake with Dual Air Scoops.

I was looking into my next mod and was wondering whether to get a FMIC and use the Stage 1+ maps or go with the catted DPs and use the Stage 2 maps. In other words, which of these routes would yield the most power, since these mods are similar in price?
Stage 1+ yields more power than stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #6146
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Stage 1+ yields more power than stage 2.
Or he could get catless DPs and run Stage 2+. I've asked about this a number of times and the consensus appears to be that so long as the climate is cool and the goal is to impress the butt dyno (ie: no track and no chance of high IATs) then stg 2+ runs just fine. But you DO need catless DPs for it.
      09-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #6147
CTX335i
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Hey everyone, I have searched for an answer but cant find one so in the mean time I wanted to see if anyone has seen this.

I installed Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive ST 2 weeks ago in my 08 E92 335 with no issues, car ran fine, let it warm up and stepped on it and it was amazing. Now last night i decided to take the car out for a drive, I warmed it up and started to drive around, I put it on DS and decided to step on it from around 20 miles all of the sudden the car went limp and the SES light came up, the car felt as if it was vibrating when i tried to get close to 3k. I stopped the car turned it off and on, the light went away no problems, stepped on it and it was fine. Took the car out today and got the same result except that now the SES light stayed on. The vibration is gone but the light is on, im planning on removing the AP and taking it to the dealer to make sure its ok, Has anyone seen this before?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #6148
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTX335i View Post
Hey everyone, I have searched for an answer but cant find one so in the mean time I wanted to see if anyone has seen this.

I installed Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive ST 2 weeks ago in my 08 E92 335 with no issues, car ran fine, let it warm up and stepped on it and it was amazing. Now last night i decided to take the car out for a drive, I warmed it up and started to drive around, I put it on DS and decided to step on it from around 20 miles all of the sudden the car went limp and the SES light came up, the car felt as if it was vibrating when i tried to get close to 3k. I stopped the car turned it off and on, the light went away no problems, stepped on it and it was fine. Took the car out today and got the same result except that now the SES light stayed on. The vibration is gone but the light is on, im planning on removing the AP and taking it to the dealer to make sure its ok, Has anyone seen this before?
Sounds like the normal tune induced misfires, IIRC there's a sticky at the top of the page to help troubleshoot the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #6149
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Or he could get catless DPs and run Stage 2+. I've asked about this a number of times and the consensus appears to be that so long as the climate is cool and the goal is to impress the butt dyno (ie: no track and no chance of high IATs) then stg 2+ runs just fine. But you DO need catless DPs for it.
Thanks to you both for the replies. I think FMIC is the way for me for now, running Stage 1+. Not very convinced about going catless DP yet. My preference will be catted since my E90 is a family car too. Concerns with smell in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #6150
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Thanks to you both for the replies. I think FMIC is the way for me for now, running Stage 1+. Not very convinced about going catless DP yet. My preference will be catted since my E90 is a family car too. Concerns with smell in the cabin.
it wont smell if you keep the midcats.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #6151
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
it wont smell if you keep the midcats.
I agree with Enrita. Got the setup myself, and don't smell anything in the car, even with windows down at a stoplight. Maybe a bit outside the car on initial cold startup in my garage, but it's not a lot.

So I think the only thing you'll be smelling in the car will be your own farts!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #6152
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

This may have been asked before, but I have he BMW ppk power flash/ecu. Will Cobb ap save that software do me so I can return it to normal? It will also work with the ppk having already been installed right?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #6153
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
I think you will be satisfied with S1+ I am so far, Going Pro Tuned to take advantage of Ethanol.

S1+ E50 post coming soon, working with PTF as I type.

here are my ladder records, I am sure you will be satisfied. Do you have 93 octane in your area? numbers will vary but my mix (20% E85 for a little more octane boost to run aggressive maps ACN 91 is crap)

+

just running: DCI, COBB, FMIC and ER CP w/Tial BOV.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #6154
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap
This may have been asked before, but I have he BMW ppk power flash/ecu. Will Cobb ap save that software do me so I can return it to normal? It will also work with the ppk having already been installed right?
Yes you can install the Cobb AP with the ppk. Once it's installed, your stage 0 will be a stock like map (non ppk). But if you completely uninstall the AP I believe the DME software is completely restored to what it was before, in your case ppk. If I were you I would just email Cobb this question for peace of mind sake.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #6155
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I agree with Enrita. Got the setup myself, and don't smell anything in the car, even with windows down at a stoplight. Maybe a bit outside the car on initial cold startup in my garage, but it's not a lot.

So I think the only thing you'll be smelling in the car will be your own farts!
Haha.....and I think the family will rather have the smell of the gas than my farts!!!! Thanks for all the info.....guess catless it is!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #6156
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
I think you will be satisfied with S1+ I am so far, Going Pro Tuned to take advantage of Ethanol.

S1+ E50 post coming soon, working with PTF as I type.

here are my ladder records, I am sure you will be satisfied. Do you have 93 octane in your area? numbers will vary but my mix (20% E85 for a little more octane boost to run aggressive maps ACN 91 is crap)

+

just running: DCI, COBB, FMIC and ER CP w/Tial BOV.
Yeah I'm looking to get pro-tuned myself once I'm on Stage 1+
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #6157
toms335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Black Sedan

hey guys so I just installed my TBE today. Prior to the install I had catless dp's and a cobb stage 2 tune.

After installing the exhaust and doing a few test pulls, it seems like the power is there but it continues to cut in an out. Almost as if it is getting shorted of fuel when I step on it. Best I can describe it would be a jittery acceleration. However, a couple of times running up hill I really felt the new power but it isn't consistent.

Please any suggestions to this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #6158
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Log it, sounds like throttle closures to me due to overshoot. Try doing an ecu reset through AP as well .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #6159
lorddrinkalot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Hi guys,

I tried the Stage1+ Agg. this weekend, because temps around here are much better than in August and of course I was curious.

I loaded the map on Saturday and did some logs. They didn't look to good, a lot of Timing Corrections. So I decided not to push the car in the high gears and give it some time to adapt.

Today on my way to work I did some logs again. They look better but still I'm not happy with the result.

The car feels much much better than on the S1+sport map. Much smoother and a lot more power in high RPM's. But still I have a lot of timing corrections.

Fuel was 98 ROZ, I will try again with Vpower when my tank is empty.
Can someone have another look at the logs. In some I hade corrections after shift mostly when i go from 4th to 5th gear and from 5th to 6th gear. But it seems kind of normal because I saw that also on other logs from users here and other forums.

But It seems quite impossible with my car to get an log without any corrections. I mean 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear seems fine and stable but 4th and especially 5th and 6th gear are horrible. And I live in Germany so high gears with highspeed is the thing I consider most important. Because if the car is not happy while running 140 MPH+ the tune is kind of worthless.

Another question, can I use E85 to stabalize my Timing corrections? I mean just use 15 or 20% Ethanol?
The gas station in near my Apartment offers 98ROZ and E85 so I could get a fill without driving around etc.

Will the DME correct the fuel volume according to the AFR?

Please rename the files from .txt to .csv
The log is in °C and mbar
Attached Files
File Type: txt datalog7 - 3,4,5,6 gear.txt (49.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: txt datalog8 - 3 and 4th gear.txt (31.2 KB, 126 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #6160
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot View Post
Hi guys,

I tried the Stage1+ Agg. this weekend, because temps around here are much better than in August and of course I was curious.

I loaded the map on Saturday and did some logs. They didn't look to good, a lot of Timing Corrections. So I decided not to push the car in the high gears and give it some time to adapt.

Today on my way to work I did some logs again. They look better but still I'm not happy with the result.

The car feels much much better than on the S1+sport map. Much smoother and a lot more power in high RPM's. But still I have a lot of timing corrections.

Fuel was 98 ROZ, I will try again with Vpower when my tank is empty.
Can someone have another look at the logs. In some I hade corrections after shift mostly when i go from 4th to 5th gear and from 5th to 6th gear. But it seems kind of normal because I saw that also on other logs from users here and other forums.

But It seems quite impossible with my car to get an log without any corrections. I mean 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear seems fine and stable but 4th and especially 5th and 6th gear are horrible. And I live in Germany so high gears with highspeed is the thing I consider most important. Because if the car is not happy while running 140 MPH+ the tune is kind of worthless.

Another question, can I use E85 to stabalize my Timing corrections? I mean just use 15 or 20% Ethanol?
The gas station in near my Apartment offers 98ROZ and E85 so I could get a fill without driving around etc.

Will the DME correct the fuel volume according to the AFR?

Please rename the files from .txt to .csv
The log is in °C and mbar
Ethanol will most certainly clear up timing corrections, assuming the timing corrections are because of a lack of octane. Try throwing in 3 gallons and top off with 98 ron. The DME will correct fuel volume just fine for that small of a mixture, just dont go overboard without getting a protune for the ethanol.
Appreciate 0