E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M badge on rear where to place?

02-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #23
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Ok, think this thread has run its course.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #24
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
It is your choice what you do with your car but please done put an M badge on your car. The really bmw folks will laugh at you.
      02-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

I cant believe anyone would make so much fuss over a piddling badge! why not take all the badges off?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

I took my badges off so nobody could see i had a poverty spec 320d

Shame the 335d has twin tailpipes (gives it away) as id be tempted to whack a 318/320i badge on instead
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #27
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

The smaller new M// wing badge from the f30 looks good imo

As shown here

I think the big M// ones don't look very good and are a bit in your face.
I saw a 320d se with a big M// on the front grille and one on the boot.
Didn't go very well at all as it had zero Msport parts on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #28
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody80;*****229
Bin definitely. Saw a 520d with one on the rear and each front wing. Unfortunately I couldn't capture it for the clownage thread.
The 2014 LCI 5 series has the M badge on both the left and right front wing just below the fenders. Don't think they have the M badge on the back so could be someone has done that themselves.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
E90325iM-SPORT
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325i m-sport

Garage List
Please not!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #30
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmDubleYuu View Post
The 2014 LCI 5 series has the M badge on both the left and right front wing just below the fenders. Don't think they have the M badge on the back so could be someone has done that themselves.
All new M Sport vehicles have a naff little M badge on the front wings. From the factory. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
roger4607
Rep
Drives: 330d E93

Right - here's a few facts:
1. the 'M' badge doesn't mean a car is an M3 etc, it means it's an M sport variant. Here's a link to confirm http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di...rt-models.html
2. M sport variants have at least 7 factory fitted 'M' Badges as standard
3. M Sport variants have M Sport parts fitted as standard setting them apart from the other variants
4. BMW are now badging M sport cars with the 'dreaded' M badge as standard (Visit a showroom and you'll see what I mean)
5. Owners of older M sport cars are perfectly at liberty to fit any badges they wish - there's no law against it!
6. Members of this forum react to the 'M' word in the same way that women react to the 'C' word - they hate it but don't really know why except someone told them to.
7. These forums are full of people offering advice about how to adapt their car, - suspension, wheels, audio, grill colour, power output, etc making the cars non standard, but mention a badge addition and they get hysterical!
8. The M sport variants are sold as just that and appear on the insurance database as just that - yes, they really are called M sport.

I drive a 330 M Sport convertible with no M badge on the rear but I have not problem at all with people adding badges to their car, it's personal choice and you shouldn't be swayed by narrow minded peer pressure. After all, in the words of BMW "those looking for additional dynamism will discover just what they are looking for with the M Sport models"
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #32
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Why not fit a few, then it will be a MMMMMM
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #33
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

better still how about this

or for a slightly more subtle look
      02-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #34
Kassim786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d (E93) M-sport

Even before I opened this thread ... I knew there would be fireworks

The O.P. Has balls made of steel for posting this up
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #35
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmDubleYuu View Post
Realised that a few days later when I went into Stratstone!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #36
Jay-325i
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 325i Msport

Soooo let me get this straight up until recently bmw have never put ///m badges on the rear or grill on m sport models? I'm confused with it all I've got m just about every where inside car but none on outside. (it is a genuine m sport btw) was wondering cos so many have them on so these people are buying these??? Wow some ebay seller in china's rich!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #37
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger4607 View Post
Right - here's a few facts:
1. the 'M' badge doesn't mean a car is an M3 etc, it means it's an M sport variant. Here's a link to confirm http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di...rt-models.html
2. M sport variants have at least 7 factory fitted 'M' Badges as standard
3. M Sport variants have M Sport parts fitted as standard setting them apart from the other variants
4. BMW are now badging M sport cars with the 'dreaded' M badge as standard (Visit a showroom and you'll see what I mean)
5. Owners of older M sport cars are perfectly at liberty to fit any badges they wish - there's no law against it!
6. Members of this forum react to the 'M' word in the same way that women react to the 'C' word - they hate it but don't really know why except someone told them to.
7. These forums are full of people offering advice about how to adapt their car, - suspension, wheels, audio, grill colour, power output, etc making the cars non standard, but mention a badge addition and they get hysterical!
8. The M sport variants are sold as just that and appear on the insurance database as just that - yes, they really are called M sport.

I drive a 330 M Sport convertible with no M badge on the rear but I have not problem at all with people adding badges to their car, it's personal choice and you shouldn't be swayed by narrow minded peer pressure. After all, in the words of BMW "those looking for additional dynamism will discover just what they are looking for with the M Sport models"
Entirely agree
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killn12s;*****460
Agreed!!! I don't have any badges on the back of my 335is. I love the clean look and symmetry.

What's that round thing in the centre of the LCD? Looks like a badge to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #39
Gk E92 330d
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d m sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed330D View Post
What's that round thing in the centre of the LCD? Looks like a badge to me.
I'm with you on this now. A few years ago with my first bmw e46 I thought the M badge was the way forward. Now 5 Bmw's later and now running an E92 lci 330d m sport I am clean line and The roundal front and rear is good enough for me but each to their own I suppose
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #40
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #41
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I just read that M-Sport and M performance bumff on the BMW web site that was linked to in this thread.

What a load of old cobblers. Jeez, the writing seems to be aimed at people with limited comprehension levels!

It's purely marketing, aimed at extracting lots more money from people by making it look a little nicer and then talking up a storm about what they are giving you.

Most of the kit costs the same to BMW as in any other model. The m-sport outsells the SE by a considerable margin so the front and rear bumpers should cost BMW less than the ones on the SE. The extra bits on the side cost them buttons. The steering wheel no doubt costs the same, ditto the gear knob, handbrake lever and the headlining.

The 18" wheels cost them a little more, as does the sports seats but in the smaller engined models that's all you get for your extra £2k

Oddly, a really highly specced m-sport costs the same as a similarly specced SE so they become better value for money (in comparison with the SE), but with the option prices BMW are onto a nice little earner regardless of which model you take.

The m badge is simply a marketing tool. Up until the last year, none of these m badges were fitted on the bodywork of the cars but BMW obviously see a marketing advantage in using them - something they resisted for a long time.

I suppose it's all about self esteem - like the lizard who said he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #42
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I watched a video about the Motor sport division at BMW making amazing race cars....But a 116i M sport has as much Motor sport pedigree as a Nissan Juke Nismo edition.

I think the only cars in the BMW range that are close been sports cars are proper M cars, but it's a sad fact of life people pay extra for brands/badges because for many image is more important than substance. This is true in every part of life, from cloths to bags to cars. I'm as guilty as anyone else, despite 19inch wheels been awful for ride and handling I still prefer them on the car over 17-18 wheels simply because they look better.9

Personally who cares, if people want to waste time and money on M sport branding go for it....but let's not pretend the M sport badge has any real sporting/technical meaning any more
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #43
roger4607
Rep
Drives: 330d E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I just read that M-Sport and M performance bumff on the BMW web site that was linked to in this thread.

What a load of old cobblers. Jeez, the writing seems to be aimed at people with limited comprehension levels!

It's purely marketing, aimed at extracting lots more money from people by making it look a little nicer and then talking up a storm about what they are giving you.

Most of the kit costs the same to BMW as in any other model. The m-sport outsells the SE by a considerable margin so the front and rear bumpers should cost BMW less than the ones on the SE. The extra bits on the side cost them buttons. The steering wheel no doubt costs the same, ditto the gear knob, handbrake lever and the headlining.

The 18" wheels cost them a little more, as does the sports seats but in the smaller engined models that's all you get for your extra £2k

Oddly, a really highly specced m-sport costs the same as a similarly specced SE so they become better value for money (in comparison with the SE), but with the option prices BMW are onto a nice little earner regardless of which model you take.

The m badge is simply a marketing tool. Up until the last year, none of these m badges were fitted on the bodywork of the cars but BMW obviously see a marketing advantage in using them - something they resisted for a long time.

I suppose it's all about self esteem - like the lizard who said he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.
It seems that BMW moving with the times is causing some members more that a little grief, perhaps a move to Mercedes would solve the problem .... (AMG are way ahead of M sport - , red stitching, longitudinal piping and thats just the seats!!) Joking apart, the 'M' diddn't feature when BMW were present in F1 and I notice now that their cars in the Touring Car Championship are entered as BMW 125i M Sport - not an M3 in sight. Perhaps it's worth understanding what BMW who own the 'M' want it to mean, not what some forum members would like it to mean.

For the record, the M sport package also includes a re-engineered suspension package (by the M Sport division) which results in a 10mm lower ride height and the ability to feel all pot holes and minor road blemishes - this has caused a polarized debate along the lines of the marmite discussion!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:45 PM   #44
Rween0125
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320si Bmw 320xi

Msport Badge on 320si

Hey guys, I have a 320si and wondered if I could put an M badge on the back, as it is basically a "M" car.
Appreciate 0