E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Fuel Injector Replaced

08-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
diaz92376
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Find out if you have the common denominator causing fuel injectors to be replaced for no reason: zero adaptation fault. Contact Customer Relations 1-800-831-1117. Every vote counts. My car is going in again on Friday. I am having success now that Foreman is involved and actually gives a dam.
Car went back 2 days later ses light came back on after a week i got the call saying it was carbon build up!! But service adviser said not to worry its all covered but will need to hang on to the car for another week to get it cleaned. Thats almost a month without my car im going to withdraw. Not that theres anything wrong with the new 5 series but need that power plus my girl is getting used to the car and keeps telling me she likes it better....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #46
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

sorry to hear that man, but they'll fix it good for ya! enjoy putting miles on your loaner lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #47
KJac
Rep
Drives: '09 335d

Garage List
'09 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz92376 View Post
Car went back 2 days later ses light came back on after a week i got the call saying it was carbon build up!! But service adviser said not to worry its all covered but will need to hang on to the car for another week to get it cleaned. Thats almost a month without my car im going to withdraw:
Could you ask the SA what he put into the computer that made it fall under warranty? Is he just calling it a good will service?
It seems most stealerships want excessive amounts of cash to perform the cleaning, yet your SA says "not to worry" ... I wish they all said this and standardized their processes.

I have another SES appointment on Monday, 3rd time in two months. I'll write up a full troubleshooting thread tomorrow but I can tell you it will include just about the same discrepancies/malfunctions as everybody else that have been reporting problems. At the very least it will be documented (publicly) and added ammo for somebody to take to their SA.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #48
diaz92376
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
have another SES appointment on Monday, 3rd time in two months. I'll write up a full troubleshooting thread tomorrow but I can tell you it will include just about the same discrepancies/malfunctions as everybody else that have been reporting problems. At the very least it will be documented (publicly) and added ammo for somebody to take to their SA.
After reading all the post about having trouble with dealers not wanting to take car of this issue I freaked out when my sa told me that was the problem. So when he said it was covered I was so releaved but this dealership has always been great which is why I come to this one instead of where I bought the car. But ill make sure to ask him when I pick up the car on friday.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #49
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJac View Post
Could you ask the SA what he put into the computer that made it fall under warranty? Is he just calling it a good will service?
It seems most stealerships want excessive amounts of cash to perform the cleaning, yet your SA says "not to worry" ... I wish they all said this and standardized their processes.

I have another SES appointment on Monday, 3rd time in two months. I'll write up a full troubleshooting thread tomorrow but I can tell you it will include just about the same discrepancies/malfunctions as everybody else that have been reporting problems. At the very least it will be documented (publicly) and added ammo for somebody to take to their SA.
It seems that carbon buildup is covered if an injector or DDE was replaced. This makes perfect sense since the faulty part can cause EXCESSIVE buildup. Carbon buildup by itself is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #50
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
It seems that carbon buildup is covered if an injector or DDE was replaced. This makes perfect sense since the faulty part can cause EXCESSIVE buildup. Carbon buildup by itself is normal.
Hmm, Interesting. Then it makes sense to let them fool around replacing parts that aren't really broken, such as an injector, so there is something to blame for the buildup.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #51
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Hmm, Interesting. Then it makes sense to let them fool around replacing parts that aren't really broken, such as an injector, so there is something to blame for the buildup.
There ya go.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #52
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

I got 6 new injectors last week. From Feb to Aug 2013, I had 4 visits to dealer for SES light (zero volume injector adaptation, rough idle, limp mode):
1) Replace injector #2
2) Replace injector #2 again
3) Injector #2 and #4 show fault again. Instead of replacing injectors, reprogram car to new software level and clear codes (PUMA case)
4) Injector #2 and #4 show fault again. Change all injectors to ?INDEX? them (PUMA case)

Last edited by montr; 08-08-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #53
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
I got 6 new injectors last week. From Feb to Aug 2013, I had 4 visits to dealer for SES light (zero volume injector adaptation, rough idle, limp mode):
1) Replace injector #2
3) Injector #2 and #4 show fault again. Instead of replacing injectors, reprogram car to new software level and clear codes (PUMA case)
4) Injector #2 and #4 show fault again. Change all injectors to ?INDEX? them (PUMA case)
My dealer told me that sometimes they get a bad batch. Maybe that's what they think they got with their replacement injectors. But some on this forum would guess you just need a new DDE.

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1) Replace injector #2
Who are you going to? Sounds like DDE to me and they're replacing perfectly good injectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #55
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who are you going to? Sounds like DDE to me and they're replacing perfectly good injectors.
My car is 2010 335d with 46K miles. I am going to the BMW dealer, the one I bough the car new. The instruction on repair are from BMW NA, i.e. PUMA case. The dealer has to do what they have been told if they want to get paid.

After talking to the Service Department manager and citing the recurring problem; he told me that next he will escalate it above PUMA and schedule a meeting with a BMW visiting engineer to address my problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #56
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is 2010 335d with 46K miles. I am going to the BMW dealer, the one I bough the car new. The instruction on repair are from BMW NA, i.e. PUMA case. The dealer has to do what they have been told if they want to get paid.

After talking to the Service Department manager and citing the recurring problem; he told me that next he will escalate it above PUMA and schedule a meeting with a BMW visiting engineer to address my problem.
Ya they have to follow procedures, but I'm curious to know which dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #57
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya they have to follow procedures, but I'm curious to know which dealer.
I prefer not naming directly the dealer. However, they have 2 locations in Atlanta. BTW, I have been told by the manager that they did replace all 6 injectors on another 335d prior mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #58
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Car went back to the dealership AGAIN. SES came on, same symptoms, rough idle, less power. Car only had 200 miles in it since I got it back and 2 weeks. The next day, the car stalled out while driving and upon restarting said, "Half power engine malfunction."

Took the car to the nearest dealer, they said there was a short in the wiring from the last time the injector was replaced. They swapped injectors to see what the problem was and they may have replaced two of the injectors...again. Third time in 6 months car has been in the dealership for the same issue....

They haven't said anything about carbon build up or anything though. Car has 46k miles on it. No mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #59
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Diesel View Post
Car went back to the dealership AGAIN. SES came on, same symptoms, rough idle, less power. Car only had 200 miles in it since I got it back and 2 weeks. The next day, the car stalled out while driving and upon restarting said, "Half power engine malfunction."

Took the car to the nearest dealer, they said there was a short in the wiring from the last time the injector was replaced. They swapped injectors to see what the problem was and they may have replaced two of the injectors...again. Third time in 6 months car has been in the dealership for the same issue....

They haven't said anything about carbon build up or anything though. Car has 46k miles on it. No mods.
I am initiating a lemon law buyback. Trying to figure out if I need lawyer.
In the shop 3 weeks now. Informed I will need a new motor. depressing. Warranty has been good to me after Foreman got involved. Exellent customer service. I have not driven my car about 25-30 days total this past year due these issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #60
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Informed I will need a new motor.
Really? Under what technical grounds are they justifying this? Without proper justification, BMW NA will never pay for the repair work.

The main problem with the diesels is there is a big disconnect when it comes to knowledge sharing between dealerships. I blame BMW NA for not retraining the technicains on diesel trouble shooting. BMW NA Engineering is aware of all the issues everyone has had with the 335d.

Therfore, most dealerships just throw a lot of expensive parts at the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #61
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Really? Under what technical grounds are they justifying this? Without proper justification, BMW NA will never pay for the repair work.

The main problem with the diesels is there is a big disconnect when it comes to knowledge sharing between dealerships. I blame BMW NA for not retraining the technicains on diesel trouble shooting. BMW NA Engineering is aware of all the issues everyone has had with the 335d.

yeah new engine seems like massive overkill. As long as there is not an issue with the bottom end there is almost never a reason for complete engine replacement
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #62
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post

My SA told me that all of the repairs performed must be authorized by german headquarters. I did have the car in 4 times in 3 months, but finally seems like they've fixed everything, as I'm on my 3rd week of problem free operation.
Just waiting for carbon build up
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #63
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
yeah new engine seems like massive overkill. As long as there is not an issue with the bottom end there is almost never a reason for complete engine replacement
Thats what the service advisor told me "problem with bottom end" AFTER they reportedly spent 10k on repairs already on "top end". I dont know what "bottom end" means but will google. apologize. I just get phone calls from SA every couple days and wait till its done.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #64
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

If I were getting an entire new motor, that would be a win....not a reason to dump the car. Plus assume after all of that you can leverage BMW to giving you an extended warranty for free. Win win!

Not like you'll find another sport sedan on the market with the same level of power, efficiency, and performance of the 335d if you were to dump it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #65
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Not like you'll find another sport sedan on the market with the same level of power, efficiency, and performance of the 335d if you were to dump it.
I wonder what would be said of the M-Sport 535d - "luxury sport?" because it may outperform the 335d in acceleration in spite of slightly lower HP and torque numbers...

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #66
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I wonder what would be said of the M-Sport 535d - "luxury sport?" because it may outperform the 335d in acceleration in spite of slightly lower HP and torque numbers...

PL
Well it will certainly have a larger fuel tank. Bet that puppy could go ~700+ miles on a tank.
Appreciate 0