E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bump Stops- anyone ever tried installing vertical slit and zip ties?

03-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Bump Stops- anyone ever tried installing vertical slit and zip ties?

I have koni yellows and H&R springs up front. The installer reused the original stops and barely cut anything off. I'm fairly certain I'm riding on them hard.

I have e36 m3 stops. I don't want to pull the front apart and I have thought of cutting out the originals and trying a hillbilly install of the e36 stops by slicing a vertical slit.....pushing them on the rod/shock and securing them with a heavy duty zip tie.

I figure....it it doesn't work I will just order more and get them professionally installed. And if they do stay on and the ride improves....win win. Also may consider doing the HP koni coilover conversion but want to try this first.

Thoughts? Bad Idea Jeans? (hope someone gets that reference)
      03-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I have koni yellows and H&R springs up front. The installer reused the original stops and barely cut anything off. I'm fairly certain I'm riding on them hard.

I have e36 m3 stops. I don't want to pull the front apart and I have thought of cutting out the originals and trying a hillbilly install of the e36 stops by slicing a vertical slit.....pushing them on the rod/shock and securing them with a heavy duty zip tie.

I figure....it it doesn't work I will just order more and get them professionally installed. And if they do stay on and the ride improves....win win. Also may consider doing the HP koni coilover conversion but want to try this first.

Thoughts? Bad Idea Jeans? (hope someone gets that reference)
haven't tried this and not recommending; I just happen to have seen this video in my travels:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the video. I did that to trim more off my stops but trimmed the bottom....which was where the shop trimmed ....those guys jacked up my job! I also replaced my rear springs with adjustable perches and swift springs/thrust sheets and bearings. When I pulled it apart to swap i found the shop had both the top and bottom spring rubber perches stacked on the bottom. Unreal. They refunded me 50% which was cool but what a waste.

I'm going to try my idea. Fuck it. If it works great....otherwise time to have the front redone.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

That sounds like a terrible idea. I don't car how many zip ties you put around a bumpstop after you slice it, it won't be as effective. I'd definitely pull my struts apart to slide new bumpstops on. Was the shop IPB?
      03-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #5
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Shop will go unnamed as the owner took care of me after I discovered the mess in the rear.

I agree.... Bad idea. I did some research and it makes sense to me now.
Appreciate 0