E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Where is the cigarette lighter fuse?

01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
erikj999
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

My center console power is out, but not the ashtray outlet

I have a 2008 328i, which has a power receptacle in the front ashtray (which is working) and a another outlet inside the center console (which stopped working). I checked the fuse (#8, yellow, 20A), which was OK.

Does anyone know if there is another fuse I should check? Any other suggestions for fixing the problem? Thanks,

-Erik
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #24
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

I have a 2008 335i (e92), and I'm taking the leap that they have pretty much the same wiring.
All the cig lighters are feed off the one fuse (a 15amp). If one of your sockets isn't working, then you might have a broken connection.
But considering cigarette lighter plugs and sockets, I suggest a bad plug might be more likely. IE one that isn't long enough to reach the end of the socket.
Find a charger with a really long probe that you test works in other sockets and make sure this one is dead.

If it's a wire problem, then fixing or replacing it should be pretty easy:
  1. Get a multimeter that tests for voltage (0-12 vDC) and continuity. They're about $10 at any hardware/Lowes Depot/AutoParts.
  2. First, use the multimeter measure the resistance from the side of the socket to the ground. It should be zero ohms, (no resistance).
  3. Next, check if the cig socket has power by measuring vDC from the center metal contact to a nearby ground. Remember to have the ignition turned on so the socket is live. Be careful not to touch the center contact and the metal sides at the same time with your probe.

If you don't get power and a good ground.
The center console is ridiculously easy to get into. It looks intimidating, but really takes seconds and zero tools. It's all held down with friction clips.

Pic1) To remove the rubber boot around shifter, use one finger to gently pull it up out of the console.

Pic2) Gently grab the console in it's middle and pull up.

Pic3) Pivot the cover around. You see the wires from the console (cig lighter + audio in cable)? One pare of those wires will be the ones feeding the lighter. Useing the muti-meter, check for 12v power & ground continuity to diagnose if the wires are OK.

The pictures are from when I ran a hard-wire power cable, from a splitter-tap I added to the console's cig fuse wire, under the console, under the dash, up inside the drivers A-Piller cover and surfacing at a GPS mount on my windshield.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #25
gotta love bmw
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Cannot understand what do the symbols on diagram mean... Where is the Cigarette Lighter symbol and how does it look like?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #26
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

I'm with you in aggravation. I looked HARD for a symbol legend and never did find one. Even in the Shop Manual I got that had the full wiring diagram.
Fortunately, this one was pretty easy, since it's on its own circuit:

Here is the symbol:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=443

It's the bottom left, for MY fuse-block label,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...14&postcount=8

But remember, different car/years have different layouts & numbering, so check your own label.
Appreciate 0