E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E92 black, powder coat alloys -new look

07-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #23
Mporto75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i E92 Coupe, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothstein1
anyone guys?
Leave matte plastic alone. It's already black. I wouldn't paint it. Just the trim alone painted or wrapped should look good
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 328i (LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mporto75 View Post
My 2 cents. You can plastidip or paint your original grills. When I bought my car 2 months ago. E92 328i it had grill and trim plastidipped. Grills looked good trim no so. And it's only like 8 dollars to get a matte black can. I changed to cf grill spoiler side mirrors and started to cf my interior. Wheels were stock 17" but looked too small. In black would just get lost in my opinion. Save up and get gunmetal or silver it's a nice classy contrast. Attached pics of car before and after. 2 months. Hope it helps decide.
How much did the CF on the interior cost? Actually looks pretty good and clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #25
Mporto75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar23
Quote:
My 2 cents. You can plastidip or paint your original grills. When I bought my car 2 months ago. E92 328i it had grill and trim plastidipped. Grills looked good trim no so. And it's only like 8 dollars to get a matte black can. I changed to cf grill spoiler side mirrors and started to cf my interior. Wheels were stock 17" but looked too small. In black would just get lost in my opinion. Save up and get gunmetal or silver it's a nice classy contrast. Attached pics of car before and after. 2 months. Hope it helps decide.
How much did the CF on the interior cost? Actually looks pretty good and clean.
Bim main has the radio parts precut for like 70. And I bought 3m wrap on eBay for like 20 dollars
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bim main has the radio parts precut for like 70. And I bought 3m wrap on eBay for like 20 dollars
Alrighty, IDK if I should go with the 3M CF wrap or a proper CF sheet and apply it myself with adhesive etc. Any advice based on how yours looks/has held up?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #27
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothstein1
one more question guys , I noticed that there is a plastic(matt black colour) around mirrors area. When doing Windows Trim into gloss black should i also go and do that thing around side mirrors ?

I didint notice it earlier and when i saw it i thought that going into matt trims would be better but simply gloss looks much nicer and if i leave this area as it is, it might look bad overal . Got to confirm my appointment tomorrow so thx if anyone have any idea of what i am taking about
You can see in his attached picture that the guy above who CF wrapped his mirrors left that little matte ring alone. I guess its up to you but personally I would leave it and just worry about the main piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #28
rothstein1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

yeah , its that thin line around mirrors and that area on the window(on wich they are attached to the car), personally will ask how much they will want for it. In $ I pay around 250 $ for just the windows trims and 80 for the grill surrondings so i guess for that mirror whole area they would ask for another 100 about, and that basically is not necesseary from what i checked. But will ask surely , think would look better if all stay in gloss black.

Last edited by rothstein1; 07-16-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #29
Mporto75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Alrighty, IDK if I should go with the 3M CF wrap or a proper CF sheet and apply it myself with adhesive etc. Any advice based on how yours looks/has held up?

Regards
The 3m carbon wrap is so easy to do with a heat gun. The fabric is a long tedious process. You need to sand the surface put a glue down to attach fabric to the. Like 2 coats of clear epoxy that need to be sanded smooth. I was going to do it but to much work and too much can go wrong. The wrap is reversible and doesn't need sanding or anything. If you want to take it a step further you can clear coat spray the wrap after installed.
My mirrors are 3m taped covers. The full plastic remains untouched. Here a pic.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #30
Mporto75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pic 1. Interior trim wrapped in 3m carbon fiber. and precut cf on radio from Bimmian.

Pic 2. Cf grills bought on eBay

Pic3. Cf covers for side mirrors. Not a 100% fit but they still look awesome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #31
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mporto75
Quote:
Quote:

Regards
The 3m carbon wrap is so easy to do with a heat gun. The fabric is a long tedious process. You need to sand the surface put a glue down to attach fabric to the. Like 2 coats of clear epoxy that need to be sanded smooth. I was going to do it but to much work and too much can go wrong. The wrap is reversible and doesn't need sanding or anything. If you want to take it a step further you can clear coat spray the wrap after installed.
My mirrors are 3m taped covers. The full plastic remains untouched. Here a pic.
Ya all those are reasons to go with the 3M wrap I'm just wondering about the quality and durability of the wrap versus the real fabric. How long have you had yours on (the interior CF, if that is the one that was done with the 3M wrap)?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #32
Mporto75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes interior is the 3m wrap. Exterior I bought cf parts. I wouldn't cf exterior. Even though people wrap roofs etc all the time. I just wrapped mine 2 weeks ago. And material is thick. So it should last and hold up really good. Some advice. I learned after install is make sure u use a heat gun so material can really bend and shape nicely. Cut corners in round areas close and mold accordingly. But once installed it's on there. And always overlap and fold behind piece for better coverage and hold.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
ammar23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mporto75
Yes interior is the 3m wrap. Exterior I bought cf parts. I wouldn't cf exterior. Even though people wrap roofs etc all the time. I just wrapped mine 2 weeks ago. And material is thick. So it should last and hold up really good. Some advice. I learned after install is make sure u use a heat gun so material can really bend and shape nicely. Cut corners in round areas close and mold accordingly. But once installed it's on there. And always overlap and fold behind piece for better coverage and hold.
Ya I might have to give the wrap a shot. I guess if you properly wrap it around the back its pretty much impossible for it to peel. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it , your car looks good.
Appreciate 0