E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A few questions & introduction

06-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
ShaneN.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 05 c6

A few questions & introduction

I've spent probably 3-4 hours searching stuff on this site but I thought maybe I could ask a few specific things and maybe get some answers all together in one thread.

I was dead set on a c63 but with the purchase of a new house coming a 335i might be more in my budget. I figure it'll still get me what I want in a daily driver while still giving me something fairly quick and fun (possibly be able to run with a tune only c63?). I wanted a 335i a couple years ago but decided against it because of the HPFP andddd because i read an awful lot of people saying that the turbos fail often on the tuned cars. For whatever reason, the latter doesn't seem to be the consensus on here anymore and now I'm seeing BMW will cover the HPFP for 120k miles or 10 years. I'm in Canada, but it looks like they're covering it here as well. Does that extended warranty ONLY cover the hpfp?

Now, turbos. First I want to describe what kind of combo I'd want. I'd like to make as close to 400rwhp as possible but i'm not stuck on the number, I more or so just want a real healthy, yet problem free, daily driver. I want to run into the 12s on a street tire. 12.8 would make me happy but the faster the better. I just want something that might surprise something like a c6 or 03 cobra (my previous cars). I don't want to run any meth or e85 or race gas and most importantly i want it to be a problem free car. I'm fairly worried about the turbos. I was thinking catless downpipes, fmic, some sort of pump gas tune. What kind of power could I make? It seems like so many of these combos are running meth or a gas mixture. I want some healthy numbers withouth pushing limits and without being TOO crazy of a boost number. It seems like you can just do a tune only and get around 340rwhp or so and decent torque but i need more than that. But I also don't want to run any special fuel or meth - and it's looking like it's not easy to get closer to 400rwhp out of them without it. Also, is being in Canada going to be a problem with tune? i'm hearing that our gas is actually not as good even though i have 94 chevron readily available to me. in a discussion i had with others around me they noted that "92 us gas is higher Ron rating than our 94, ( as tested)". they were explaing their friends with switzer gtr and the other guy with a built motor lightning actually liked to go get gas from the US side to avoid detonation. On top of that, it can be anywhere from 100Fdegrees and then down to 20 degrees F depending on what month it is. So, IS it possible to just get one of these generic piggy back or plug in type tunes with a few bolt ons and not have to worry about detonation?

Another thought, It sounds like if anything is going to let go first, it's probably the turbos. What happens when the turbos let go usually? Do they just seize? Do impellers break and starting sandblasting the internals of your motor? I've had three supercharged vehicles out of the last 4 but i'm not very familiar with turbo setups.

For you guys that are using your 120k extended warranty for the HPFP, are you having to put your cars right back to stock before taking them in?

as far as extended warranty on canada, can i get that on any car? or i guess it might have to be on a lot? can you get it if the factory warranty has run out already? i'm guessing at this time most the n54 cars i'd be looking at will be out of warranty, seems like it'd be worth getting if it's possible. i wonder if i can warranty a US import?

finally ( at least for now ), i've noted that i really like the m side skirts and the m tech (i think?) front bumper. how much is the m tech? is it a FULL bumper? because it seems like it's alost an added part to the bottom of stock bumper? is the m sport bumper the same as m tech? and is the sport package the same thing as m sport package?
this is the exact look i'm digging, even the carbon fiber pieces in the corners (are those easy to do/find too?):

http://www.mycarportal.net/wp-conten...manzara_01.jpg

I'm kind of all over the place but I'm trying to get more specific answers to stuff that I can't really figure out by all the searches i've done.

edit: i just wanted to make it clear that i want to get as much power as possible without pushing "it". if downpipes, dual cone filters, tune and fmic is only going to net me 350 rwhp on pump gas then so be it, it's primarily a daily driver but it's also got to be a 12 second car in street trim. i'm doing more reading at the moment and it looks like 400rwhp is out of the question with the direction i'd like to go. i don't want to be puckering my butthole every time i'm WOT like i did in my pullied lightning without forged internals. i'm open to what other bolt ons might help with power without having the psi being too high for the stock turbos. i don't want to be on borrowed time.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 06-30-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 ZCP Mexico Blue M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
In regards to power, I'm running an E85 pro tune with a BMS dual cone intake, and my highest numbers that were consistent (using Virtual Dyno) were right around 400rwhp. It's really not that tough to get the power you're looking for. My pro tune is still a work-in-progress, and we even dialed it back a bit, but I saw between 395 and 405rwhp pretty consistently running nothing but a dual cone intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Like he said 400 is possible easy, You wont have problems with internals breaking what your going have problems with is HPFP (mostly taken care of), Water pump, Waste gate, turbo. Water pumps go around 50-60k from what ive seen if not earlier.
      07-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
ShaneN.
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht View Post
In regards to power, I'm running an E85 pro tune with a BMS dual cone intake, and my highest numbers that were consistent (using Virtual Dyno) were right around 400rwhp. It's really not that tough to get the power you're looking for. My pro tune is still a work-in-progress, and we even dialed it back a bit, but I saw between 395 and 405rwhp pretty consistently running nothing but a dual cone intake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneN. View Post
I don't want to run any meth or e85 or race gas and most importantly i want it to be a problem free car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Like he said 400 is possible easy, You wont have problems with internals breaking what your going have problems with is HPFP (mostly taken care of), Water pump, Waste gate, turbo. Water pumps go around 50-60k from what ive seen if not earlier.
hpfp would be covered it seems. what's the kind of cost on waste gate and water pump? i've been reading some more and i think i'd like to do a cobb stage 2+fmic. probably run the 91 sport tune and run 94 in it for a little octane buffer zone (not even sure if that'd help at all). is this entirely too much power/boost for the stock turbos? what actually happens when the turbos let go, is it going to cause motor issues as well... as in taking in broken impeller junks or something? like is it as simply as sitting aside some money just in case the turbos go and then it's an excuse to upgrade and make more power at that point?

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-01-2013 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
ShaneN.
Enlisted Member
Rep

also, is that the mtech bumper i posted? how hard is it to get the carbon lip on it and what kid of prices are we looking at for mtech front bumper and m3 side skirts?

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
e90'D10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG 2010 e90 335i

Regarding your picture, that is the M-Tech from bumper. Prices vary pending on what site you go through yet I've been looking myself and they run -450-500 US dollars (http://www.**********s.com/E92-E93-M...ont-Bumper.htm). But you can always just add the lips to the e92's front bumper to make it look close enough to the M-Tech bumper without replacing the entire front. Side skirts are a M3 yet not sure on the prices but I'd google it
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

What type of dyno do you want 350whp on? On a Mustang dyno(which is the most accurate to the real world) you will not get 350whp with intake, downpipes, FMIC and a tune on 93 octane. On a Dynojet dyno you will though because their numbers are much higher.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i, 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
What type of dyno do you want 350whp on? On a Mustang dyno(which is the most accurate to the real world) you will not get 350whp with intake, downpipes, FMIC and a tune on 93 octane. On a Dynojet dyno you will though because their numbers are much higher.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBBTT View Post
+1. With that kind of mods, you should be expecting 400+.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

On my local dyno a stock 335i does 245whp/260wtq. Intake gives about 5whp 15wtq. FMIC, depending on brand, will only get another 10whp/10wtq. Downpipes will get around 15whp/20wtq.

The tune will vary the amount of gains so it's not as simple as just adding up the numbers.

Even some Mustang Dynos will vary from place to place as well so there isn't a definitive dyno standard that can be reliably translated from place to place.

The local dyno is very accurate though and brand new so I trust it. It showed a 300 hp STi, 300hp 350z, 300hp 335i all at 240-245whp so it's been very accurate in my experience.

*OP if you want big dyno numbers there are some tricks. Find a Dynojet dyno first off, they read the highest generally. Then make sure and keep ice water in a spray bottle to spritz the intercooler before runs. Make sure the car is warmed up properly for full turbo power. Use some octane booster from Wal-Mart or where ever. Make sure traction control is completely off for the runs. There are other little tricks as well that I'm not too familiar with. I always just dyno as a benchmark for myself to diagnose and understand how my car is running.

Last edited by thenewrick; 07-01-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
e90'D10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG 2010 e90 335i

Quote:
On my local dyno a stock 335i does 245whp/260wtq. Intake gives about 5whp 15wtq. FMIC, depending on brand, will only get another 10whp/10wtq. Downpipes will get around 15whp/20wtq.

The tune will vary the amount of gains so it's not as simple as just adding up the numbers.

Even some Mustang Dynos will vary from place to place as well so there isn't a definitive dyno standard that can be reliably translated from place to place.

The local dyno is very accurate though and brand new so I trust it. It showed a 300 hp STi, 300hp 350z, 300hp 335i all at 240-245whp so it's been very accurate in my experience.

*OP if you want big dyno numbers there are some tricks. Find a Dynojet dyno first off, they read the highest generally. Then make sure and keep ice water in a spray bottle to spritz the intercooler before runs. Make sure the car is warmed up properly for full turbo power. Use some octane booster from Wal-Mart or where ever. Make sure traction control is completely off for the runs. There are other little tricks as well that I'm not too familiar with. I always just dyno as a benchmark for myself to diagnose and understand how my car is running.
+1 I have to strongly agree with this because every place is different i.e. dyno's FBO's and what not. As mentioned you can't just add numbers up to the "max" and think their going to sit on top of each other. E.g. 5hp part with a 15hp part isn't going to be 20hp. It's going to find the best possible mix that both parts relate and work well together to get the "max" but will never be 20hp. Mind you I'm talking number wise not what part does what to achieve X amount of power
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
ShaneN.
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92'D09 View Post
Regarding your picture, that is the M-Tech from bumper. Prices vary pending on what site you go through yet I've been looking myself and they run -450-500 US dollars (http://www.**********s.com/E92-E93-M...ont-Bumper.htm). But you can always just add the lips to the e92's front bumper to make it look close enough to the M-Tech bumper without replacing the entire front. Side skirts are a M3 yet not sure on the prices but I'd google it
can you show me an example with the "lips"? there is lots of front bumpers i'm liking but i'm having a hard time finding out which ones are stock, which are sport, which are m sport, oem, not oem, etc etc.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBBTT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
+1. With that kind of mods, you should be expecting 400+.

is close to 400 obtainable? I'm not looking to push any limits just for a print out, i just want it to run some solid red light races and 1/4 mile times. maybe keep up with or beat the tuned c63 that i really had wanted. from what i've been reading on here the last couple days i think i'd probably do something like the cobb stage2+fmic, downpipes and intake. no meth, fuel mixtures, etc. i even might want to run a 91 tune so i can ran 94 in the car just as a safety measure, like i said, after a discussion i had with a couple people about canadian 94 octane.

esentially i'd like to be able to hit the track on my daily driving tires in full street time and run a solid mid 12. maybe dabble into even lower numbers with some drag radials. i wouldn't even race it much, i just want a daily driver that'll surprise some corvettes and amg's.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
ShaneN.
Enlisted Member
Rep

also wanted to say thanks to those who replied. i'm sure lots of this stuff comes up often when people are doing their research. it's just nice to have on place to ask all my questions rather than littering it all over the forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
The 335is runs 13.1 stock with 320hp and 332lb/ft of torque with the DCT. Nice stock exhaust also. (although the rumble of the NA V8 from the C63 is something else...)

One of my good friends has a C63 and LOVES the car... but he says it is truly just a ridiculous machine. You really need to be a top notch driver to handle that beast!! In a different league than my car, but my friend came from a 335i (non-sport) and says that the 335is (after driving mine a bit) is one hell of a machine (even comparing to his car, he misses the 3er a bit and see's how the 335is really is a faster and better car than a stock 335i even if only slightly).

With a JB4 tune and DCI you should be able to hang with a C63 (maybe not be faster or as fast, but definitely hang), and unless the driver of the AMG is one hell of a driver, than handling on the BMW is far superior to the german muscle car. If you are planning to spend some money with Dinan or Cobb, you may very well be able to surpass the C63 in performance numbers.

Best of luck with your decision! Any car of this caliber is a great one to have!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0