E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Canadian Fuel

11-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
PushingTin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe...Plus....

Canadian Fuel

So, if a car is going to be modded, procede or whatever you decide to strap on to it, what is the best fuel that can be bought for it in Canada. According to Shiv don't buy fuel at costco or 'billy bobs discount gas' even if it is premium, I understand this sentiment but what constitutes a good fuel?
I only ever run Sunoco 94 or Shell V power, basically which actually IS the best considering that Sunoco uses ethanol (up to 13%) to get that 'octane' rating... I'm not convinced that the ethanol is necessarily the best way and am concerned that maybe the Sunoco 'raw' product prior to the ethanol is not actually anywhere near as good as the shell V power.....

I may actually be completely wrong and hope someone can shed some light on the whole subject, from what I read on the forum different countries 'label' their octane ratings differently so it's had got me kind of confused, is UK 97 octane really much different than the 91 octane here in Canada etc?

Thanks

PT
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Europe uses a different formula to calculate there octane rating hence the difference.

There's nothing wrong with Ethanol, most people who can get E85 are switching to it because its basically cheap racegas.

I ran the time in my Sig running straight Sunoco 94 and use it everyday to run up to 26psi.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
PushingTin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

The only reason I mentioned the 'ethanol' issue is that the manual for the car indicates that you shouldn't run the car on any fuel with more than 15% ethanol added, therefore I presumed, rightly or wrongly that the addition of ethanol wasn't especially the right way to go. good to know you're running that much boost though with pump Sunoco, thanks

PT
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That's an interesting question, I also run the Sunoco 94 all the time.... Would be interesting to find out if the Shell V Power is better.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

lets put it this way...the shell v-power is 99% the same fuel that is used in there formula one cars...also the ferrari shell team can test the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar in lake michigan...pretty damn impressive!!!! it just sounds insane esp living on lake michigan!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
PushingTin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Hmmm I didn't know that, good to know, but still, which is the better fuel, not hearsay but a clinical method of quantifying which is the 'better' for a car that might run mods?

PT
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
lets put it this way...the shell v-power is 99% the same fuel that is used in there formula one cars...
If you think F1 Cars run the same fuel you get from the pump your sadly mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

Top Tier rated gas if it is available to you. Here are the Canadian retailers:

Chevron-Canada
Shell-Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

If you are running a piggyback you should run the highest octane. In Vancouver we can get up to 94 at Chevron and Petro Canada.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Ethanol has a significantly lower energy content than straight gasoline.

If I were you, I would run Shell V-power or Petro-Canada 91 (or P-C 94 if you can find it because that is the best fuel I have run so far).

Plus, BMW says you shouldn't run anything that has or has the potential to have more than 10% ethanol. As a side note, in the past, I have seen many BMWs that didn't like even 10% ethanol so much and running it very often can lead to premature fuel pump problems. As another aside, I believe that there has been a loose correlation that showed that most people who had HP fuel pump problems lived in areas where ethanol was legislated to be in all gasoline.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
Europe uses a different formula to calculate there octane rating hence the difference.

There's nothing wrong with Ethanol, most people who can get E85 are switching to it because its basically cheap racegas.

I ran the time in my Sig running straight Sunoco 94 and use it everyday to run up to 26psi.
Are you crazy - you can't put E85 in a non E85 vehicle, it will destroy it, it is highly corosive and will eat the metal filler, the tank and fuel lines if the vehicle isn't E85 rated and has all those components made from stainless steel or plastic!

As for E10 E15 which is what a lot of us have now which is ok to run in normal vehicles, it has a little less energy per gallon, but Ethanol actually has higher octane so helps a little with detenation and helps with water in the fuel in the winter and stops it from freezing, so it doesn't really hurt performance when tuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

This may come as a surprise to you but most of the gas you buy (whoever you buy it from) all comes from the same refinery. This is because most gas companies enter into regional supply contracts with each other. Once they get it, they simply mix in their own proprietary additives to it. In the case of V Power, the heralded additive is an engine detergent.

In the west some Mohawk/Husky stations sell E94 Performance Plus 94 octane that my car seems to like - even though it has 10% ethanol. It seems to run much better on that than Shell's (ethanol-less) V Power. In any case, the gas in both (where I am) comes from the same Co-op refinery.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
This may come as a surprise to you but most of the gas you buy (whoever you buy it from) all comes from the same refinery. This is because most gas companies enter into regional supply contracts with each other. Once they get it, they simply mix in their own proprietary additives to it. In the case of V Power, the heralded additive is an engine detergent.

In the west some Mohawk/Husky stations sell E94 Performance Plus 94 octane that my car seems to like - even though it has 10% ethanol. It seems to run much better on that than Shell's (ethanol-less) V Power. In any case, the gas in both (where I am) comes from the same Co-op refinery.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
PushingTin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the replies chaps, as you can see, the number of answers proves why I was confused as to which is best, I still don't honestly know but it sounds like they're both going to be ok....

I wonder if there's an industry 'standard' that defines which one actually is better in 'clinical' terms?

PT
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
Indeed - In Alberta roughly 5% of Husky stations carry the E94 Performance plus gas. It does contain "up to 10% ethanol", but then if you check the pumps for all other premium fuel stations you'll likely discover they also carry the same ethanol content.

If you really want to up your performance, Google "racing fuel xxxx" *replace xxxx with your city name*

VP Racing blends and distributes a wide range of performance fuels, which are available in major cities (Van, Calgary, Toronto, etc). Don't forget to ask for the unleaded ....
Appreciate 0