E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Navigation's GPS location freaking out...

04-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Navigation's GPS location freaking out...

I've had my car since summer of 2008. Recently, as in a couple of weeks ago, I started noticing that once in a while the car would no longer be able to realize where I was, and put my location back at my house or a random place for a minute-to-a-few-minutes, trying to figure out where i really was. Yesterday while i was on a drive for over a half hour, this was taken to the extreme: every few minutes the car would lose track of where I was and think i was back at my home address. It'd keep switching back and forth every few minutes between there and my actual location.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way, if I ever were lost myself, to reset the system in hopes of its working fine again? I guess turning the car off and on again would help, but I'm wondering if there's a way to reset i-drive without turning the car off. Any idea what might be wrong with the car's GPS system, hopefully something they'd easily be able to fix next time i brought my car in for service?
      04-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Something similar has happened to me a couple of time back in 2007, a few months after I bought my car. Once, I had to turn off the car and restart. The other time, it got back to normal by itself.

It helps not to be completely dependent on the navi. There were hardly any navigation systems about 10 - 15 years back!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Well yeah, I'm not completely dependent on it or else I'd bring my car in for service early right away. But it's not fun thinking of a time when I will need it/when I need to go somewhere new and my navigation is consistently and regularly messing up every 5 minutes.