E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Audi S3 Sportback, anyone!

01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Audi S3 Sportback, anyone!

I'm getting the itch for a new car, looking for something a bit different with a bit of poke. Would quite like another BMW but it would have to be either a new 5 or 3 and they are both more than I want to spend at the moment.

Has anyone owned or tried an Audi S3 sportback? Thinking of a quattro model with DSG, 265bhp as standard and plenty of tuning potential. Something like this>>

http://www.vehicleimagezoom.r66.co.u...i&Id=602785019

Opinions please!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Never really liked them to be honest.

I think they are just too expensive for what they.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

I would definitely agree that they do seem expensive for what is a relatively small car. Something seems to appeal though about 4wd, 265BHP and a DSG gearbox with loads of tuning potential thrown in for free.

I'm on my fourth BMW at the moment though and whilst I'm more than happy with them I'm struggling to see what my next purchase will be unless I wait for another year for the F31 prices to fall a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
I would definitely agree that they do seem expensive for what is a relatively small car. Something seems to appeal though about 4wd, 265BHP and a DSG gearbox with loads of tuning potential thrown in for free.

I'm on my fourth BMW at the moment though and whilst I'm more than happy with them I'm struggling to see what my next purchase will be unless I wait for another year for the F31 prices to fall a bit.
I have an RS3 although love it and there's not much out there that can get 4 people and luggage from A-B as quick safely (especially this time of year) it is a dull drive compared to most BMs the S3 is very tuneable and with the 4wd system the extra power is useable most of the time but coming from a BM I think you might get bored quickly (unless your an old fart like me )
      01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

It isn't quattro 4wd.

It is a haldex system.

Does it need to be a 5 door hatch?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
It isn't quattro 4wd.

It is a haldex system.

Sorry didn't realise it hadn't got the same system as the RS3 (OP will have to save up a few more pennies to get an RS instead)
      01-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

M135i... I've just ordered one. I paid £34k fully loaded. Got discounts and only 4.9 APR on finance
      01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
It isn't quattro 4wd.

It is a haldex system.

I've got an e91 at the moment and am really looking for something similar but with some serious go. I went from an e46 325 Sport to a 320d and miss the grunt. Whilst I like the e91 I wouldn't get a 335d as they are on the way out having been replaced by the F31.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlie View Post
M135i... I've just ordered one. I paid £34k fully loaded. Got discounts and only 4.9 APR on finance
The M135i is without doubt one hell of a buy and all the reviews rate it above Audis offerings but unfortunately it has a marmite design. Maybe it will grow on me with time!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Sorry didn't realise it hadn't got the same system as the RS3 (OP will have to save up a few more pennies to get an RS instead)
Neither did I, back to the drawing board! What is the difference between that and 4wd?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlie View Post
Performance Bargain at the moment just the looks that people find hard to live with although I quite like it myself (But I have got a Car that's been around for nearly 10 years before they put one of the best engine around in it)
      01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Neither did I, back to the drawing board! What is the difference between that and 4wd?
Not sure but this is taken from the RS3 Brochure:

It’s the technology that has given Audi the
edge on the rally circuit ever since it was first
introduced 30 years ago – a technology that
delivers ultimate control whilst enhancing
the sporty characteristics which make the
Audi RS 3 Sportback so thrilling to drive.
It’s called quattro® all-wheel-drive. The
principle is simple: in the same way that
four brakes ensure better deceleration,
four driven wheels deliver better acceleration
and road-holding, pushing or pulling the car
as needed, for a driving experience that’s
both dynamic and safe.
      01-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Not sure but this is taken from the RS3 Brochure:

It’s the technology that has given Audi the
edge on the rally circuit ever since it was first
introduced 30 years ago – a technology that
delivers ultimate control whilst enhancing
the sporty characteristics which make the
Audi RS 3 Sportback so thrilling to drive.
It’s called quattro® all-wheel-drive. The
principle is simple: in the same way that
four brakes ensure better deceleration,
four driven wheels deliver better acceleration
and road-holding, pushing or pulling the car
as needed, for a driving experience that’s
both dynamic and safe.
sounds good, unfortunately before I can afford an RS3 I will need to try and convince my two teenagers that they don't want to go to university! :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

The S3 is very capable yet very boring. If thats your cup of tea go for it. Great car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The facelifted S3 you are looking at and the RS3 both use the same Gen IV Haldex AWD system.
Prior to the facelift, the S3 used a Gen II Haldex system which didn't pre-charge so there was always latency in the rear wheels kicking in.
With the Gen IV 100% of torque can be directed to the rear wheels if required.

"Proper" AWD as the purists would call it would be via a Torsen differential. Not electronic, but entirely mechanical eg Torque-Sensing. This system is used on all Audi Longtidudinal applications. Its not available in transverse applications such as the 8P platform.

As for the car.. Its certainly capable, but looks dated now. Sat nav will be a generation behind what you are probably familiar with.
The K04 turbo'd 2 liter though is virtually bombproof so you could easily see 315bhp from a stage 1 remap.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

Not as quick or powerful or tuneable but mk5 r32 dsg is a good package

Those s3 are too bland and Audi drive is a bit numb and dull
      01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I've got an e91 at the moment and am really looking for something similar but with some serious go. I went from an e46 325 Sport to a 320d and miss the grunt. Whilst I like the e91 I wouldn't get a 335d as they are on the way out having been replaced by the F31.
Isn't the S3 now an old shape now too?

Having googled it a new A3 came out last year(looks the same to me) and a new S3 is due this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Yup. The new A3 is out. The new sportback A3 was released for order at the very end of the year and the first ones are yet to hit the streets due to the ridiculous lead time for a VAG car (4 months when i enquired about the new sportback). The new S3 will be out very soon, it's already been reviewed by a few magazines/sites.

I had an A3 sportback, although it was a diesel the car is generally the same. Surprisingly spacious and very practical. The biggest weak point of the car for me was the interior, an area that usually gets praised on Audis. The seats were absolutely rubbish compared to BMW sports seats so you would need one with the bucket seats. The centre console in particular is very dated and the RNSE system (satnav unit) is so dated it's like using an abacus. It was very solid, well built and didn't squeak though.

If you are serious it might be worth doing some digging over at Audisport.net. Not as good as here obviously, but I remember a few owners giving an honest opinion of their S3s and that was generally that they are a bit uninvolving even when tuned to the hilt. I personally think that a Golf is a better option, Mk6 GTi with a remap and some other bits. I actually think the 1 series is better than both but then I would say that
      01-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #19
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

I keep looking at S3's as we may need something a bit more practical than my current E93 soon. I know they have a reputation of being a bit dull but this car will only really be used to ferry the family around so that should be fine.

The only problem is the more practical 5 door looks a bit shi*te. The previous version used to look like a proper hatchback but now they've introduced this new fangled "sportsback" thing it looks like an estate car and I'm not ready to drive an estate car around quite yet. Not sure why they decided to add the extra window at the back and do this tbh, what was wrong with just keeping it as a normal hatchback? Audi have plenty of other estate cars if that's your thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Buy the 3 door version if you don't like the sportback. Just don't expect it to be much more practical than an e93.
      01-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #21
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Buy the 3 door version if you don't like the sportback. Just don't expect it to be much more practical than an e93.
That's the thing though, the main reason to change would be to make it easier to get in and out the back so no point in going to a 3 door, I might as well keep the E93.

To be honest I'm struggling to find any modernish good looking 5 door hatchback\saloons, they all look rubbish these days.

5 series - too big for missus
e90 - hate the rear end
Golf's - Zzzzzzz
A4 - ZZzzzzz
S3 (5 door) - ugly
1 series - ugly
C class - Done the Merc thing

I've even resorted to looking at Seat Leons as it seems it's the last good looking mildly exciting hatchback available but not sure if I can go from a BMW to a Seat (just seems like a step back for some reason) I realise I've probably pissed a lof of owners of the cars above off with these comments so flame suit on.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
That's the thing though, the main reason to change would be to make it easier to get in and out the back so no point in going to a 3 door, I might as well keep the E93.

To be honest I'm struggling to find any modernish good looking 5 door hatchback\saloons, they all look rubbish these days.

5 series - too big for missus
e90 - hate the rear end
Golf's - Zzzzzzz
A4 - ZZzzzzz
S3 (5 door) - ugly
1 series - ugly
C class - Done the Merc thing

I've even resorted to looking at Seat Leons as it seems it's the last good looking mildly exciting hatchback available but not sure if I can go from a BMW to a Seat (just seems like a step back for some reason) I realise I've probably pissed a lof of owners of the cars above off with these comments so flame suit on.
No, I have a 1 series and am not at all offended by your comment. I have an art related honours degree so have highly trained eye balls that can appreciate beauty that you mere mortals cannot

I was actually going to suggest the Leon to you. Did you see the recent thread on the Supercoppa FR that another member just picked up. A few members chimed in (including myself) saying they owned or had driven one and all comments were positive. They really are very good. Fast and highly tuneable as well.

There's a new model just out. It doesn't have the hidden door handle style of the old one but It's still a cracking looking car and no doubt drives just as well as the last model. Sadly there are no fast ones yet.