E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer to replace driveshaft...need input.

05-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
TheDraftsman
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Automatic

Dealer to replace driveshaft...need input.

07' 328i Auto. Bought the car used and noticed MPH (not rpm related)
vibration that starts around 50mph then gets a little worse at 65mph then
seems to smooth out around 75mph, in which the vibration is still there at
75-80 but not as much as around 60mph. EVERYTHING is smooth and noise
free up to 50mph.

After all the searching and reading on here I can say un-balanced tires, rear
diff. and wheel bearings have been ruled out by the dealer. The dealer wants
to replace the driveshaft. Although I have searched on here and reading as
much postings about stuff like my problem on here, I cannot find anyone
who replied back in any thread that replacing a drive shaft was the answer
or done with success.

My question is, what is it about a driveshaft that goes bad other than throwing a
weight. Can someone on here say they had my problem and a driveshaft
replacement fixed it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Try an alignment first? Might not be as bad as you think. I know some 6AT's have had problems with their torque converter and was replaced. If your car was pre-owned and driven like it was stolen, then you may need a new diff. or half shafts. I doubt you need the whole driveshaft replaced.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Well a traditional drive shaft has U joints, where the ends of the shaft connect to the transmission, and also possible the rear differential. These have rubber inserts on welded cups, and can go bad, they are more easy to see on a truck like a F150.

The BMW has drive shafts also from the Differential to each wheel hub (IRS) independent rear suspension. If its under warranty, no worries. Everything in the suspension/drive train is covered as long as its not from a accident/damage.

If this persist, its the Differential unit most likely, or rear wheel bearings too...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
TheDraftsman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Try an alignment first? Might not be as bad as you think. I know some 6AT's have had problems with their torque converter and was replaced. If your car was pre-owned and driven like it was stolen, then you may need a new diff. or half shafts. I doubt you need the whole driveshaft replaced.
Thanks for your reply. Dealer actualy told me that they have replaced TC's
in my car model and year but they ruled out the rear diff. and TC for now.
They did not go into an alignment problem since the new Conti tires I have
are wearing evenly. Something is telling me it could be that driveshaft
carrier bearing but they're trying to get me on a whole driveshaft assembly.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
amarth1972
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328i Sedan

Hi there, I had this same issue with my 2008 328i, at first I thought maybe it was the dumb run flat tires, then I swapped those (was planning on doing anyway) afterwards vibration still there only at certain speeds, went to dealer and took service manager on ride and recreated consistently on a smooth road, he admitted it was driveshaft issue after they got it service center, they replaced driveshaft assembly and have not had any problems since.....

good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
amarth1972
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

One more note, the loaner they gave me, a 2010 328i had the same issue, I told them when I brought I returned, doubt they fixed the loaner, my guess is they only fix this issue if people complain about it, so complain make them get it right sounds like manufacturer defect !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What's amazing is how little dealerships know about the cars they service, I began to realize that when i would pull in for an innocent oil change, and then 8 days later I still have a loaner car. This has happened 4X in the 4 1/2 yrs. I've had the 335 coupe. It's no wonder the prices are so high for sales/service, when they are replacing things here and there under warranty, that don't fix issues.

Anyhow, if this were 1970 (20 yr. before any of us where born), sure, we could get into replacing carrier bearings etc. when a car reached 120k etc. Why a 2007 328 would need a driveshaft, probably we'd have to talk to that shop foreman and ask him, he must be thinking of something. If it's a known defect, so be it. I just hate getting remanufactured parts put into a relatively new car, but I suppose we're in a lease society so not a lot of people care anymore...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
TheDraftsman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desslok40 View Post
Hi there, I had this same issue with my 2008 328i, at first I thought maybe it was the dumb run flat tires, then I swapped those (was planning on doing anyway) afterwards vibration still there only at certain speeds, went to dealer and took service manager on ride and recreated consistently on a smooth road, he admitted it was driveshaft issue after they got it service center, they replaced driveshaft assembly and have not had any problems since.....

good luck

Update:

Still trouble shooting however a very reputable transmission shop here in CT
said that the driveshaft could very well be the problem from what they have
seen from a few 5 series they have worked on. They are currently getting
me a price for the job.
Girard BMW in New London wants $1100 for a new driveshaft and
they said they think if that's not the fix then it must be the
transmission. No wonder they have such a horrible reputation.

desslok40,

Do you remember how your driveshaft sounded when you had your problem?
Mine is a low frequency rumble like a in your head bass type rumble with a
fast vibration feel on the armrest but cannot feel it in the shifter. Starts
around 50 mph worse at 60mph then smooths out at around 75mph.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheDraftsman; 05-25-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
amarth1972
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Exactly like mine, I can tell why people don't notice it, alot of people don't pay attention when driving, shocker I know !! It didn't take too much convincing with the service manager, I said fix it please....do you have any warranty left? Mine was replaced under original warranty, but my CPO warranty would have covered it as well according to BMW service manager.....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
GreenHat
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi 6A 60,000kms

Same symptoms in 2008 328xi with 45,000mls. BMW have already replaced the front bearings, diff which supposedly had shavings, rebalanced tires, rims check out ok. I also noticed same thing, only less, in a brand new 2011 I took out with the S Manager. He says its normal for the xDrive.

I'm encouraged by deelok40 - think i'll take it back in and ask for a new driveshaft. Is it still vibration free?

I suspect the guy that owned it before drove it like a rental.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
MR.I.P.A
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My 3 series had the same problem described by draftsman, Vibration on the highway but nothing on the surface streets noise sounded like someone was hitting the bottom of my car with a hammer. Took it in to get looked at by the only shop ive trusted the car to sense ive had it. Literally they took one look at it once it was on the lift and they determined my center bearing was flopping around beating up against the bottom of my car. Bought a re manufactured drive shaft from wholesaleimportparts because my mechanic has used them in the past and I kept seeing their name on these forums and people seem to be really satisfied with the quality and I got it for only $370 soo much less than the dealer. Had the reman one installed about two months ago and have already taken my care fom CA to TX and back twice and its still running smooth and quiet as a church mouse. I am putting up their information in hopes that it might help somebody else.

BMW DRIVSHAFTS
http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/BMW_Drive_Shaft.php
DISCOUNT CODE
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whole...46426468834040
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Not understanding all the difficulty here. Why get a new driveshaft? Get a new center bearing, a new guibo, send the drive shaft out to get re-balanced (shouldn't cost more than $150) and reinstall everything and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
What are the chances of you car and a loaner car both having the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not understanding all the difficulty here. Why get a new driveshaft? Get a new center bearing, a new guibo, send the drive shaft out to get re-balanced (shouldn't cost more than $150) and reinstall everything and see what happens.
Efthreeoh is spot on...this is how it used to be done, gang...and guess what? the parts have not changed....just our mindsets.

JP
Appreciate 0