E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need some help/Suggestions (M3 Steering Wheel)

09-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Need some help/Suggestions (M3 Steering Wheel)

So I ordered a used M3 steering wheel a few weeks ago and love it except it was pretty used. Basically it is pretty worn mostly at the top and on the outer edge of the wheel. I tried using Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner but that didn't really help. The conditioner helped all the leather get soft except the parts that are worn and feel dried out. It also wound up leaving my wheel pretty sticky... I've dealt with the stickiness for a while but just went outside and used the Lexol cleaner hoping that it won't be sticky tomorrow. What i'd really like to know is if anyone knows a way I can fix the dry and worn parts of the leather and also get rid of the stickiness if its not gone for tomorrow. I tried taking a picture with my phone of the dry leather i'm talking about but idk how well it turned out. I appreciate any help in advance.

More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

looks to me like it might just need a thorough cleansing with a better product than Lexol, and some more agitation with a proper brush.

Look into Swissvax Leather Cleaner Forte to do the cleaning and use a Swissvax Leather Brush and Detail brush to properly agitate the cleaner.

That should leave the steering wheel with a natural OEM look. You can thereafter protect the leather with Swissvax Leather milk.

If the dye has actually faded on the wheel (can't tell much from the picture) then you can also look into the Swissvax Leather Healer, specifically color F034.

There are a few steps involved prior to using leather healer, so make sure you read the instructions as described in the Swissvax Handbook.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
looks to me like it might just need a thorough cleansing with a better product than Lexol, and some more agitation with a proper brush.

Look into Swissvax Leather Cleaner Forte to do the cleaning and use a Swissvax Leather Brush and Detail brush to properly agitate the cleaner.

That should leave the steering wheel with a natural OEM look. You can thereafter protect the leather with Swissvax Leather milk.

If the dye has actually faded on the wheel (can't tell much from the picture) then you can also look into the Swissvax Leather Healer, specifically color F034.

There are a few steps involved prior to using leather healer, so make sure you read the instructions as described in the Swissvax Handbook.
I just looked into that stuff and holy crap it's expensive . Anyone have any other ideas that are less costly? I'll try to get some better pictures of the worn out areas i'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's some better pictures with a DSLR. Do you guys think it would be worth it to try the Mr. clean magic eraser like this guy did: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681976

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

PLEASE do not use a magic eraser on ANY type of leather

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

It looks like the sheen on the leather is gone in the worn out areas. I doubt even intense cleaning and conditioning will bring it back as it's not really dirty, just worn down/out.

Re-dying it may be the best way to go. I've heard a lot of good things about Leatherique. They sell cleaner, conditioner and dyes. I've seen a a few restoration jobs online of entire seats and was always impressed me with how they turned out.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PLEASE do not use a magic eraser on ANY type of leather

Well that's why i asked first. I know it's abrasive but it seems like it had good results for that guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
It looks like the sheen on the leather is gone in the worn out areas. I doubt even intense cleaning and conditioning will bring it back as it's not really dirty, just worn down/out.

Re-dying it may be the best way to go. I've heard a lot of good things about Leatherique. They sell cleaner, conditioner and dyes. I've seen a a few restoration jobs online of entire seats and was always impressed me with how they turned out.
Yea but leatherique is still expensive . I really don't want to spend close to what i bought the wheel for in order to restore it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Well that's why i asked first. I know it's abrasive but it seems like it had good results for that guy

Yea but leatherique is still expensive . I really don't want to spend close to what i bought the wheel for in order to restore it.
At least go with the Swissvax Leather Cleaner, it's worth the money and is hands down the best stuff i've used for cleaning leather.

The new pics you posted however look like the wheel may be beyond the repair of only a cleaner and Leather Healer may be necessary...

if you do get it, use the coupon WELCOME10 on Swissvax USA's site for 10% off
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At least go with the Swissvax Leather Cleaner, it's worth the money and is hands down the best stuff i've used for cleaning leather.

The new pics you posted however look like the wheel may be beyond the repair of only a cleaner and Leather Healer may be necessary...

if you do get it, use the coupon WELCOME10 on Swissvax USA's site for 10% off
So you think the wheel probably can't be repaired? Well that's a bummer but i guess you get what you pay for.Thanks for the code i'll definitely use it if i decide to give swissvax a shot but idk yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bump... any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #11