E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Whale Watchers TV show

09-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
M6ZeusGod
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
He was the person what came up with the idea of driving huge nails into tree so when tree cutters saws hit them the saw would kick back and hurt or kill the cutter which did happen.
That is where I have a HUGE problem with his tactics. He is a terrorist plain and simple. I support the cause of conservation of resources, but putting working class people in extreme danger because you believe their LEGAL activities are wrong is BS. There are ways of provoking change in laws/regulations and hurting people that are legally earning a living to support themselves and families is just wrong. These loggers and fisherman are working within the rules and shouldn't be afraid for their safety because of some radical environmentalists. Go through the proper channels and make a difference instead of hurting the working people.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2385 View Post
That is where I have a HUGE problem with his tactics. He is a terrorist plain and simple. I support the cause of conservation of resources, but putting working class people in extreme danger because you believe their LEGAL activities are wrong is BS. There are ways of provoking change in laws/regulations and hurting people that are legally earning a living to support themselves and families is just wrong. These loggers and fisherman are working within the rules and shouldn't be afraid for their safety because of some radical environmentalists. Go through the proper channels and make a difference instead of hurting the working people.
This is why I watch the show just waiting for a 50 cal projectile to pop his annoying grape.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

I dislike the Captain very much, I really cant pinpoint why. I dont know if its his goofy beard combined with his fat fucking jowl or his little ass teeth or how he is a open mouth breather, maybe its a combination of all 3. And now I find out the slob eats burgers and makes the crew eat like rabbits?? Fuck him....
      09-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
On a side note it would be pretty cool to spend a month on a boat going to/from Antarctica though (despite the cold).
Someone needs to start an organization to combat ecoterrorists...you know, and independant group that strives to protect lawful activity. Hell, I would take the trip to Antartica to "watch" the Steve Irwin.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #27
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jay View Post
I dislike the Captain very much, I really cant pinpoint why. I dont know if its his goofy beard combined with his fat fucking jowl or his little ass teeth or how he is a open mouth breather, maybe its a combination of all 3. And now I find out the slob eats burgers and makes the crew eat like rabbits?? Fuck him....
Ha ha ha ha. Open mouth breather - so true.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #28
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not to revive a dead thread, but there's some recent news...

SYDNEY - The high-tech anti-whaling boat damaged in a collision with a Japanese whaler sank off Antarctica on Friday, but posed no threat to the pristine environment, a conservation group said.

The bow of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's Ady Gil was sheared off Wednesday in a collision with a far larger Japanese whaling ship, in the most serious clash in what has become an annual confrontation off the frozen continent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34744324...d_environment/

Here's a YouTube video:
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i just want to ride around in this bad ass thing...

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #30
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I'd have a lot more respect for this guy if he'd just go ahead and take out one of the harpoon boats with a torpedo. Fuck all this non-violence. There's no good reason to shoot a whale these days. If you're going to stand up against something, do it right!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #31
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

i can't wait for this season. i'm sure this confrontation will be the highlight!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
i can't wait for this season. i'm sure this confrontation will be the highlight!
in the final episode. they'll make you watch the entire season of boring until something decent happens.

oh noes stink bombs!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #33
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #34
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Watch the documentary The Cove. That is what should be being done. Not what the whale wars guys are doing playing cowboys and fucking indians. That won't ever change things. To make a change you need to go to the top, and do so peacefully. They lost all credibility the second they threw the first stink bomb.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #35
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockNJ View Post
i just want to ride around in this bad ass thing...
Too late, it's gone blub, blub...
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ng-towed-.html

I admit, that thing did look like it would be fun to do something better than heckle whalers with.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
lol, most of that is so full of errors I dont know where to start. Put it this way. Take humans off the planet and there is not overpopulation, pollution or destruction of resources or nuclear weapons. Take animals off the planet and humans could not survive. Hunters and fishermen as conservationist, lol. Yeah thats why people hunt and fish. That issue is too involved to discuss now.

And we are not at the top of any food chain. We are primates. Primates eat plants. Predators catch food and digest it raw. We cannot catch food naturally. We are 99% percent identical to chimps. 1% of our brain became different and now most people think they are special, lol.

All conscious life should have a choice. Bacteria has no feeling, carrots have no feeling. Animals besides humans, have emotions, feelings, thoughts, pain, etc. Why should one species life be above another in terms of thinking conscious life? If we have such great brains, then why do we commit conscious evil acts while animals only act on instinct? If we are so smart whats with all the drugs, violence and stuff that humans do on purpose? Your a primate, get over it. We just appeared on this earth from who knows where. Its not a primates job to decide what lives or dies.

Who cares what lions do in the jungle? You claim we have better brains, yet do the same thing as jungle animals while also raping and murdering our own kind?? This human ego drug has got to stop. Your a monkey, our species has only been relevant for 6k years out of 5 billion earth years. Stop thinking your better then any other conscious creature. You couldn't survive if this planet said no more air, or no more water. Your a slave to the planet, be grateful.
You are the type of person that should take off all of your clothes and go live in a cave. A complete hypocrite down to your core. Everything, every last thing, does what it CAN do. If it couldn't it would try and fail. Humans ARE superior. Why is this you ask?

Because we are capable of just about anything we put our minds to. We have won the evolutionary battle and are running away with our prize. We have moved beyond the control of nature. We are no longer a part of nature. We control the future of this planet, whether tree huggers like yourself care to realize. Everything you wear, do, and eat is because of the advancements of the people you seem to have such great disdain for. Which, like i stated earlier, makes you a hypocrite.

Our average life spans have quadrupled over the course of our history. Show me another species that has accomplished the same feat? Biology is not enough to justify your argument. What has occured with the human brain is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT EVENT IN PLANET EARTH'S HISTORY. Argue that point till you are blue in the face, but you can not compare a single life form that has ever made it's presence known on this planet to the human. Period.

Now go take a shower.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #37
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Wait....

Does Whale Watchers = that Biggest Loser weight loss show?
      01-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
lol, most of that is so full of errors I dont know where to start. Put it this way. Take humans off the planet and there is not overpopulation, pollution or destruction of resources or nuclear weapons. Take animals off the planet and humans could not survive. Hunters and fishermen as conservationist, lol. Yeah thats why people hunt and fish. That issue is too involved to discuss now.

And we are not at the top of any food chain. We are primates. Primates eat plants. Predators catch food and digest it raw. We cannot catch food naturally. We are 99% percent identical to chimps. 1% of our brain became different and now most people think they are special, lol.

All conscious life should have a choice. Bacteria has no feeling, carrots have no feeling. Animals besides humans, have emotions, feelings, thoughts, pain, etc. Why should one species life be above another in terms of thinking conscious life? If we have such great brains, then why do we commit conscious evil acts while animals only act on instinct? If we are so smart whats with all the drugs, violence and stuff that humans do on purpose? Your a primate, get over it. We just appeared on this earth from who knows where. Its not a primates job to decide what lives or dies.

Who cares what lions do in the jungle? You claim we have better brains, yet do the same thing as jungle animals while also raping and murdering our own kind?? This human ego drug has got to stop. Your a monkey, our species has only been relevant for 6k years out of 5 billion earth years. Stop thinking your better then any other conscious creature. You couldn't survive if this planet said no more air, or no more water. Your a slave to the planet, be grateful.
I'm glad this thread was revived, because it granted me the privilege of reading what may be the most astounding, nonsensical rant that I have ever seen on the internet.
      01-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #39
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

The problem is not with the Japanese per se. Anyone who knows dick all about this topic would know it begins with the IWC. The International Whaling Commission. http://www.iwcoffice.org/ They set up their laws which protect only the larger species of whales. They limit killings on smaller whales for "medical research" but have no regulation on dolphins which are a smaller species of whale. The Japanese kill every whale possible within the legal bounds (which are setting the bar too high and slowly depleting populations) and then slaughter the fuck out of dolphins. Dolphins have all but disappeared in regions of japan and continue to be slaughtered daily. I am not a bleeding heart activist or a tree hugger. In fact I love to hunt and fish. A largely overlooked issue is what is happening with this dolphin meat. Dolphin meat contains levels of mercury roughly at 800x the legal limit. I forget the measurement unit but the legal level is 0.4 and dolphins have registered as 2000. They are killing the dolphins and packaging the meat as much more expensive and less toxic whale meat. In addition the dolphin fisheries in Japan have bought off entire towns to look the other way. Meanwhile they are providing the school system (until they were caught and the program was discontinued) with free lunches...guess what kind of meat. It all goes back to the top. Japan pays many nations to vote for their proposed laws in the IWC and until the IWC updates it's regs properly there will be massive issues. I'm not saying abolish whaling, but better moderation and monitoring needs to be made a priority for the IWC.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #40
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

what do you think?

It's hard to determine if the whaling ship turned into the batmobile or the batmobile accelerated into the ship's path.

[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bH_5wEWaqe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bH_5wEWaqe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
The problem is not with the Japanese per se. Anyone who knows dick all about this topic would know it begins with the IWC. The International Whaling Commission. http://www.iwcoffice.org/ They set up their laws which protect only the larger species of whales. They limit killings on smaller whales for "medical research" but have no regulation on dolphins which are a smaller species of whale. The Japanese kill every whale possible within the legal bounds (which are setting the bar too high and slowly depleting populations) and then slaughter the fuck out of dolphins. Dolphins have all but disappeared in regions of japan and continue to be slaughtered daily. I am not a bleeding heart activist or a tree hugger. In fact I love to hunt and fish. A largely overlooked issue is what is happening with this dolphin meat. Dolphin meat contains levels of mercury roughly at 800x the legal limit. I forget the measurement unit but the legal level is 0.4 and dolphins have registered as 2000. They are killing the dolphins and packaging the meat as much more expensive and less toxic whale meat. In addition the dolphin fisheries in Japan have bought off entire towns to look the other way. Meanwhile they are providing the school system (until they were caught and the program was discontinued) with free lunches...guess what kind of meat. It all goes back to the top. Japan pays many nations to vote for their proposed laws in the IWC and until the IWC updates it's regs properly there will be massive issues. I'm not saying abolish whaling, but better moderation and monitoring needs to be made a priority for the IWC.

I agree with you. What people need to realize here is that these crazy tree huggers aren't out there harrassing a few fishermen trying to make a living. They're attempting to stop large companies from raping natural resources for profit.

Governments have failed to do anything substantial about it, and without these guys making raising public awareness, there would probably be a lot more of it going on than there already is.

The IWC is responsible for what's going on through inaction and indifference to its own mission (regulation of the whaling industry).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #42
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Looked pretty even. Looked like the whalers got well within a legal distance, blatantly showing hostility with their positioning, and then it looked like whoever was manning the helm of the speedboat tried to gun it to get out of the way, but was too late. Sea Shepherds don't have infinite funds and that is an extremely expensive boat. I do not see them intentionally fucking it up for some press.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #43
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I don't really watch this show. Have probably seen somewhere between 1-3 episodes worth. I think it's boring as hell to watch; everyone's so prissy. I'd really like to see some whalers fight back and destroy these guys. I don't believe we should hunt whales to extinction, but I also think hunters should have a right to hunt them with controls in place.

But if someone were to mess with my livelihood in international waters, I'd end the problem. I'm just surprised these activists are still alive after so many seasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #44
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
I do not see them intentionally fucking it up for some press.

Same here. I'm not sure what the steering arrangement is on that boat, but if it's got rudders, you have to have a little forward speed before they do any good.

I'm not sure why he wasn't in reverse though, which would have made more sense. If they did actually ram the ship, it was accidental. They'd be crazy to think that carbon fiber thing they're riding in is even going to put a dent in the whaling ship!
Appreciate 0