E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Where do you guys get your parts?!

03-31-2014, 01:57 AM   #23
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kOncept View Post
It's not legal.

EDIT: Found this for you.

"Emission standards for new vehicles are set by Australian Design Rules (ADR) under the Motor Vehicle Standards Act. The standards require that motor vehicles manufactured after 1986 must operate on unleaded fuel and have anti-pollution devices (catalytic converters) fitted. These initiatives have contributed to a reduction in lead levels and other pollutants in our air."
The E92's have rear cats also i believe, so technically there still are anti polluntant devices fitted.

Unsure if anyone has ever tried to get emissions tested on a N54 sans front cats, but i highly doubt they would pass. A few mates (JDM GTR's WRX's etc) have been to the pits for emissions testing and they failed with the oem ecu and oem exhaust. They had to resort to stuffing the exhaust with packing material to pass on Round 2 of testing!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:12 AM   #24
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
The E92's have rear cats also i believe, so technically there still are anti polluntant devices fitted.

Unsure if anyone has ever tried to get emissions tested on a N54 sans front cats, but i highly doubt they would pass. A few mates (JDM GTR's WRX's etc) have been to the pits for emissions testing and they failed with the oem ecu and oem exhaust. They had to resort to stuffing the exhaust with packing material to pass on Round 2 of testing!
Yeah they have secondary cats but I doubt they'd be sufficient to pass the emissions test. Only one way to find out
Appreciate 0