E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What is a "Full Detail" article

08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

What is a "Full Detail" article

As part of the DI team, I thought I would share a recent article written by Todd Cooperider

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...a-full-detail/

Discuss and give your thoughts if you would like. There are many facets of what a full detail consists of to me. A quick 2-3 hour job is more of a general cleaning rather than a full detailing. My thoughts on a full detail include at least one polishing step (if not 2-3) with claying and at least a light interior. a wash and wax "detail" is just a protection detail, not a full detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
great read.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I read the DI Ask A Pro blog constantly, it's one of the best resources available when it comes to detailing. True professionals sharing honest advice in a very thorough yet fun-to-read manner. Doesn't get any better.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Taxvictim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, Titanium Silver 6MT

He's right that the term "detailing" is too loosely thrown around these days. Back in the 70's when I first heard the term, it went way beyond a mere wash-and-wax. It meant that someone was going to pay attention to the little details on/in your car. Now, many automated car washes offer "detailing" that means only an automated wash, vacuuming and wipe down, followed by some guy who waxes and buffs your car by hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxvictim View Post
He's right that the term "detailing" is too loosely thrown around these days. Back in the 70's when I first heard the term, it went way beyond a mere wash-and-wax. It meant that someone was going to pay attention to the little details on/in your car. Now, many automated car washes offer "detailing" that means only an automated wash, vacuuming and wipe down, followed by some guy who waxes and buffs your car by hand.
+1, a local place offers a "detail" that consists of nothing more than a wash and hand wax. clients who don't know any better probably think they are scoring a deal...
      09-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
lciaccio
Bimm me up
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

this is a great find. agreed that all "details" are not the same. I always go through recommendations on the forums and friends.
Appreciate 0