E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Would you ever go back to non-luxury brand/car?

06-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #133
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobPoogs View Post
And what exactly is that
Bouche Dag, maybe? Seriously dude, there are a whole bunch of cars faster than your 335i, and a hell of a lot more reliable too.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #134
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
No problem "downgrading". If I like the car and like the way it performs then it is fair game.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #135
SanquintinB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My feet!

Lol its been said 100 times. But a fully loaded e90 isnt exactly luxury lol. An executive car for sure though. Real luxury is a Mecedes S-class.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #136
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

Yeah, for me its all about the model and how many boxes it ticks but in the same breath i have to say you will NEVER get me any anything Japanese!
      06-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #137
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobPoogs View Post
Idk about anyone else, but i actually enjoy driving, the only reason that i can get up and go to school in the morning is because i look forward to being able to drive my car, if i had to step into a corolla every morning i would probably kill myself. I dont give a fuck about efficiency and reliability, I want a car that is fast and handles great. The only reason that toyotas and hondas last so long is because they dont go fast, and the boring people that drive them (excluding certain models such as the s2k) dont push the car to its limits and have some fun with it. So yeah if my name was boring Joe and i wanted a vehicle that strictly gets me from one place to another then yeah i would get a Honda, but fuck reliability i wanna go fast.
Tool in the making alert

Sorry to break it down to you but there are plenty of non luxury vehicles that "go fast" maybe even faster then yours and are likely to have just as many options if not more options then your BMW. Perfect example the r-spec Hyundai Genesis, you my friend own a ENTRY LEVEL luxury vehicle...nothing special there. When you drive a ferrari or a maserati then maybe you should talk about luxury and speed, other then that you are just one of the bunch.

and when you go to sleep tonight, just picture this...in Europe you car is a taxi during the day and a prostitutes ride at night
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #138
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZROFCKSGVN View Post
Tool in the making alert

and when you go to sleep tonight, just picture this...in Europe you car is a taxi during the day and a prostitutes ride at night
haha very true; last time i went to europe all the taxis were c classes or 3 series. most in manual transmission

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #139
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Tool in the making alert

Sorry to break it down to you but there are plenty of non luxury vehicles that "go fast" maybe even faster then yours and are likely to have just as many options if not more options then your BMW. Perfect example the r-spec Hyundai Genesis, you my friend own a ENTRY LEVEL luxury vehicle...nothing special there. When you drive a ferrari or a maserati then maybe you should talk about luxury and speed, other then that you are just one of the bunch.

All a matter of perspective... when your parents had a 10 year old Ford Pinto followed by a Renault Encore when you were a kid, a fully loaded 3er is quite luxurious.

Also, it's probably one of the most luxurious *small* cars available, although it ain't as small as it used to be... because really I can't see myself owning a large car (I had a used E28 for a while and I felt positively extravagant driving the thing around with just me in it) but do like a little bit of coddling, the 3er hits the sweet spot. I could even drive a 1 but a) it's not that much lighter, even though it's physically smaller and b) the styling is a little awkward compared to the really pretty E92 IMHO.

Also, if you're a stickshift snob, finding a small car with somewhat luxurious amenities *and* a manual transmission is even more difficult... again, 3er is obvious choice.

Edit: if you aren't hung up on RWD, I had an A4 GTI for a while... actually I was looking at 3ers even back then but for some reason prices were higher for lease return 3ers 10 years ago than they are today. I actually paid less in unadjusted dollars for my '09 335i last year than I did for a new '02 GTI 1.8T - in 2002 I couldn't find a 330ci for less than $30K!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #140
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
All a matter of perspective... when your parents had a 10 year old Ford Pinto followed by a Renault Encore when you were a kid, a fully loaded 3er is quite luxurious.

Agreed, but times have changed man and BMW is now closer to being the standard. Dont get me wrong, i love them and chances are i wont be switching brands anytime soon.

However that doesnt give anyone who owns one(asides from the M and the higher series) to act like a tool and like they are superior to anyone because they drive a 1/3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #141
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, but times have changed man and BMW is now closer to being the standard. Dont get me wrong, i love them and chances are i wont be switching brands anytime soon.

However that doesnt give anyone who owns one(asides from the M and the higher series) to act like a tool and like they are superior to anyone because they drive a 1/3 series.
yeah people look at me funny... before the 3er I had a Porsche 944... then they see this gangly white dude in jeans, flannel shirt, work boots, and Snap-On (or other mechanic-themed) baseball cap getting out... what can I say I like cars?

In Porsche circles we called the people to whom you refer "gold chainers" (e.g. they bought the car because it fit their lifestyle image or whatever the heck you call it, not because they appreciate the whirly bits) I don't know what the equivalent is for propellorheads...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #142
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZROFCKSGVN
Quote:

Exactly...it took other companies THIS LONG to catch up. In each one of the BMW's I've owned, they have ALL had amazing handling and are great cars. Yes, my 3 series is nice but it's not nice enough to drive around like my shit doesn't stink (many people do).

This is my 4th BMW and every one drives nicer than any Honda/Toyota/Ford etc...the handling, the stability, Peformance (for what you pay). My first car was a 91' e30 325 and that was smoother and better than my friends 2012 Honda Civic SI. I get where everyone is coming from and yes, the 3 series is more of a sport kind of version rather than luxury...but for the price/performance you get, I'd still pick one over your typical 5/6 series. The Alpina, M5, M3 are just a whole different story lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #143
horizon
Rep
Drives: 11 328xi e90

Quote:
Tool in the making alert

I have to agree with this. I have a 328xi which my wife drives. Liked it enough where I thought I'd get a 2nd hand 335xi or 328xi coupe for me. Bought the 328xi coupe but found a leaking front diff on a CPO so took it back to keep searching. Ended up buying a new accord coupe manual v6. HP is nearly 280 and I can assure you its a blast to drive. Boring? not to me. Fast? fast enough and considerably "faster" than the 328xi I own and still has considerable bells and whistles. So would I buy a non-BMW, yep. I like them both.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #144
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
yeah people look at me funny... before the 3er I had a Porsche 944... then they see this gangly white dude in jeans, flannel shirt, work boots, and Snap-On (or other mechanic-themed) baseball cap getting out... what can I say I like cars?

In Porsche circles we called the people to whom you refer "gold chainers" (e.g. they bought the car because it fit their lifestyle image or whatever the heck you call it, not because they appreciate the whirly bits) I don't know what the equivalent is for propellorheads...
They are called "Roundel Hounds"
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #145
marosmith
Big Matty Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 01 ALLROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
LolZ
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #146
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
No problem "downgrading". If I like the car and like the way it performs then it is fair game.
We are in an era where all marques are making very good cars, from Ford to Honda. Unfortunately BMW doesn't have the advantage it did back then(unless you go with an M). Most of today's cars all have the same recipe of turbo charged, DI, xenons, yada yada. BMW's main selling points still are rwd, great handling and of course badge snobbery comes standard. So it's not really a downgrade more of a change.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #147
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Since when is a 3-series a "luxury" car anyway? Bad enough that half of this board thinks their 335i is some kind of racecar. I guess the other half thinks that their 3-series is some kind of exclusive luxury automobile. This thread is indicative of the mindset that has earned BMW drivers the distinction of being some of the biggest douches on the road. Guess what? I probably saw 5 e90 3-series on the way to work today. And I don't even live in a city with any wealth in it. Get over yourselves.

They are sporty, mid-priced cars that are as common as can be.

Well, there is someone with a healthy disconnect from ... society!

How common are we talking? Toyota common? Ford focus rental car common?

Mid-priced relative to what exactly? A Porsche 911 is "entry level" relative to a Ferrari enzo. Etc, etc, etc.

You are probably just rich dude, which changes your perspective on a lot of things. Nothing wrong with that, but as perspectives change, sadly, reality remains unchanged. Not everyone can afford a brand new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #148
dannycee
Private
Rep
Drives: n55 e92xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Since when is a 3-series a "luxury" car anyway? Bad enough that half of this board thinks their 335i is some kind of racecar. I guess the other half thinks that their 3-series is some kind of exclusive luxury automobile. This thread is indicative of the mindset that has earned BMW drivers the distinction of being some of the biggest douches on the road. Guess what? I probably saw 5 e90 3-series on the way to work today. And I don't even live in a city with any wealth in it. Get over yourselves.

You're just a dick
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #149
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja

You're just a dick
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #150
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

You guys do need to tune in. A three series IS an entry BMW. It isn't nearly as luxurious as some other cars available for the same price, even if your metrics for determining luxury are 'performance' or 'toys'. This is a fact. A 'stang is much quicker, and a hyundai has more toys / better warranty / whatever.

I hate that i'm lumped into the same group of 'elitist douchebag' BMW drivers just because some of you have some sort of entitled feelings of unwarranted self worth because you drive an entry level BMW. We're a running joke because of those prevailing attitudes.

Chill out guys. It's a car. It's not god incarnate in automotive form. You're not hot shit cause you drive a BMW. Other cars are *gasp* BETTER! A badge doesn't mean anything anymore other than representing where the car was made and what brand duped you into buying it.

Some of you guys are as bad as the 909 lifted truck jerkoffs.
      06-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #151
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
You guys do need to tune in. A three series IS an entry BMW. It isn't nearly as luxurious as some other cars available for the same price, even if your metrics for determining luxury are 'performance' or 'toys'. This is a fact. A 'stang is much quicker, and a hyundai has more toys / better warranty / whatever.
Really? Show me one car that I can pick up as a lease return for about $20K that is as luxurious. If there are any, they're very few - that is why people are saying that even though, you are correct, it's an entry level BMW, most of us out in the real world still consider it a luxury car.

Quote:
I hate that i'm lumped into the same group of 'elitist douchebag' BMW drivers just because some of you have some sort of entitled feelings of unwarranted self worth because you drive an entry level BMW. We're a running joke because of those prevailing attitudes.

Chill out guys. It's a car. It's not god incarnate in automotive form. You're not hot shit cause you drive a BMW. Other cars are *gasp* BETTER! A badge doesn't mean anything anymore other than representing where the car was made and what brand duped you into buying it.

Some of you guys are as bad as the 909 lifted truck jerkoffs.
You've got it all wrong, and I hate to have to call you out, but *you* sound like a douchebag (I am not saying that you really are, but in this instance the attitude I'm getting is definitely elitist even if you think you are bashing elitists) - for the vast majority of people on this planet, even spending $20K for a used car is a luxury. So do you blame those same people when they buy themselves something nice - even if it is "only" a 3-series - that they are rather attached to it?

And... don't you think that we all, if we thought there was something better out there for our money, would have bought it? So, for the vast majority of the people that bothered to join E90post, they really *do* think that the 3er is right up there at the top of its price point. Yeah, there's other cars that might do one thing or the other better, but when you mix it all together, it'd better match up with the priorities of the owners, otherwise said owners made the wrong decision. Heck, I think I'd rather have my car than just about anything in the same model year BMW lineup save for maybe a similarly equipped M3 coupe, or maybe on an odd day a Z4 35i, even if a 5er or 6er is "more luxurious."

I'm not saying that I'm a better person than anyone else because I *have* a 3er - I'm far more proud of the '55 Stude that I built myself from a body and frame. Most people on this forum would think that it drives like a truck, sounds obnoxious, and its only redeeming qualities are that it's black and reasonably fast - but dammit, I built it myself, literally the only moving parts I haven't had my hands on are the insides of the transmission and the differential. I *am* proud of that. But if I need to get several hundred miles away quickly... I ain't gonna drive the Stude. Or my Jeep.

Yes, I agree, I think that people who think cars are status symbols, and especially those that think that they are better people just because they happen to have a relatively large amount of money, are douchetastic. But I can't understand posting on E90post of all places and trying to tear down the 3...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #152
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Really? Show me one car that I can pick up as a lease return for about $20K that is as luxurious. If there are any, they're very few - that is why people are saying that even though, you are correct, it's an entry level BMW, most of us out in the real world still consider it a luxury car.

You've got it all wrong, and I hate to have to call you out, but *you* sound like a douchebag (I am not saying that you really are, but in this instance the attitude I'm getting is definitely elitist even if you think you are bashing elitists) - for the vast majority of people on this planet, even spending $20K for a used car is a luxury. So do you blame those same people when they buy themselves something nice - even if it is "only" a 3-series - that they are rather attached to it?

And... don't you think that we all, if we thought there was something better out there for our money, would have bought it? So, for the vast majority of the people that bothered to join E90post, they really *do* think that the 3er is right up there at the top of its price point. Yeah, there's other cars that might do one thing or the other better, but when you mix it all together, it'd better match up with the priorities of the owners, otherwise said owners made the wrong decision. Heck, I think I'd rather have my car than just about anything in the same model year BMW lineup save for maybe a similarly equipped M3 coupe, or maybe on an odd day a Z4 35i, even if a 5er or 6er is "more luxurious."

I'm not saying that I'm a better person than anyone else because I *have* a 3er - I'm far more proud of the '55 Stude that I built myself from a body and frame. Most people on this forum would think that it drives like a truck, sounds obnoxious, and its only redeeming qualities are that it's black and reasonably fast - but dammit, I built it myself, literally the only moving parts I haven't had my hands on are the insides of the transmission and the differential. I *am* proud of that. But if I need to get several hundred miles away quickly... I ain't gonna drive the Stude. Or my Jeep.

Yes, I agree, I think that people who think cars are status symbols, and especially those that think that they are better people just because they happen to have a relatively large amount of money, are douchetastic. But I can't understand posting on E90post of all places and trying to tear down the 3...
^ That's the problem. Everyone's trying to be 'joe cool'. I'm trying to dispel this attitude because I genuinely AM a car enthusiast. I'm SO SICK of the recurring theme of " MONEY MONEY MONEY IM A BALLER LOL FUCK YOU HONDA DRIVER DUDE MY BMW COST MONEY MONEY". I don't care what the value of the car is. A luxury car is one that has bespoke features and is exclusive. The same way i'd consider an 80's jag a luxury car over a 6 year old 3er. Craftsmanship and details make a luxury car, and even traditional 'non luxury' car MFG's are getting this and implementing it in non-lux cars.

Simply put, because people perceive this car as 'expensive', the sheeple (read: non enthusiasts) consider this car 'luxury'. It isn't. My sister's 328 is less lux than a ford fusion (leatherette seats? WTF). She loves it, and it was a decent option compared to a camry. It's basic transportation. A lot of people on here think that because there's a two tone, circular badge on the hood of the car that it's 'luxury'. This annoys me to no end, especially when people perpetuate the stereotype by acting like their OMFG TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR car makes them a baller, a race car driver, and the owner of a twelve inch dick. Enthusiasts recognize that twenty thousand could be better off spent elsewhere, or they could recognize the performance value of tuning an N54, OR they could admit that the car is not decidedly luxury, but simply liked other intangibles such as looks, etc.

In Germany, E-classes are used as taxis. A great deal of the concept of 'luxury' is marketing. Food for thought. And I think the 'douche bmw' stereotype is well deserved, even though there are enthusiasts sprinkled into the pile here and there.
      06-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #153
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

lol Excellently put Snaggle.
      06-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #154
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I just bought a 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid for my wife. It is her daily driver and our family sedan. So far we are very happy with first 8K miles. The car has averaged 37 mpg in stop and go gridlock of Houston traffic. It uses regular gas no premium. The warranty offered is good and the service is not expensive.

The Kia Optima Hybrid looks very European from inside and outside. The LED lights are a nice plus. The interior is very roomy and comfortable. Decent power for a Hybrid car and a decent 6-speed automatic makes driving pretty smooth affair. The car has overall nice driving feel. Overall the car gives upscale feeling without putting strain on finances. Lots of standard features and see gas station only once a month

My daily driver is still my E92 N54 335i Cobb tuned.

So I have my fix and wife and family long trips are well taken care of via 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid. By the way we sold my wife's 2005 E60 545i sport pkg/luxury pkg fully loaded car after owning for 5 years. So I had looked at newer generation 5 series but the steering feel and that connected feel usually associated with BMW's was missing. So I guess it worked out at the end the Kia Optima Hybrid was more economical and sensible choice and even though my wife misses her BMW 5 series. She is genuinely happy with how her Kia Optima Hybrid drives.

So when it comes time for me to go with some thing else as a replacement for E92 N54 335i cobb tuned it will be a tough choice. I am disappointed in 435i so that is out. At this time C7 Stingray appeals to me the most as an overall great bargain.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 06-29-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0