E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Windscreen suction mount

07-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Rob55
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

Windscreen suction mount

Not strictly BMW related, but can anyone recommend a good secure suction mount?

Now that the iPhone shoots HD video, our Nurburgring trip is going to be filmed using 3 iPhones mounted within the car but we need a decent suction mount to secure to the windscreen, rear screen and side window.

There's loads of cheapies on eBay, but I was wondering if anyone knew about anything a little less wobbly that could be modified to keep an iPhone held securely during the lap? I'm sure the cheapies on eBay will do the job but I think they will be a bit bouncy and make the video a wee bit hard to watch.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post
Not strictly BMW related, but can anyone recommend a good secure suction mount?

Now that the iPhone shoots HD video, our Nurburgring trip is going to be filmed using 3 iPhones mounted within the car but we need a decent suction mount to secure to the windscreen, rear screen and side window.

There's loads of cheapies on eBay, but I was wondering if anyone knew about anything a little less wobbly that could be modified to keep an iPhone held securely during the lap? I'm sure the cheapies on eBay will do the job but I think they will be a bit bouncy and make the video a wee bit hard to watch.

Any ideas?

Hmmm, you could have a look at something from Manfrotto, but it'll be expensive. Don't know of any good suction mounts that are stable and cheap !!

Incidentally, you might want to consider using something other than window mounts - at the 'Ring, if you're caught with cameras mounted in the car, you'll be prevented from driving on there until the cameras are removed... You need to much more discrete than that!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Rob55
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Incidentally, you might want to consider using something other than window mounts - at the 'Ring, if you're caught with cameras mounted in the car, you'll be prevented from driving on there until the cameras are removed... You need to much more discrete than that!
Good call, hadn't thought of that to be honest. Will definitely need to get the thinking cap on!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Gaffa tape the iPhone to the passenger seat sunvisor. That way at the barrier you can have the sunvisor folded up and the phone won't be seen. Once through, pull the visor down and you can start videoing. It might be better to have the iPhone 'upside down', then when it comes to editing the video turn the image 180 degrees

If you want a facing camera to see the faces of the passengers, use a Brodit clip on the centre vents and just clip the phone into it. The marshals won't know the phone is being used as a camera.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Rob55
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Love the ideas mate! Think that could be a goer for the two front cams. Will need to see if I can fasten up something sneaky for the rear too..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Love the ideas mate! Think that could be a goer for the two front cams. Will need to see if I can fasten up something sneaky for the rear too..
Gaffa tape an iPhone to the centre rear headrest, pointing backwards. Then throw a couple of t-shirts onto the parcel shelf to cover the camera. Once through the barrier, pull the t-shirts off. When you come back down the long straight, before you pull off the track, throw the t-shirts back over the camera!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Rob55
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you have it sussed! Will get a good play with camera positions and devise a plan.

Can't wait to get it recorded and edited in iMovie!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think you have it sussed!
I have had a lot of practice....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Gaffa tape the iPhone to the passenger seat sunvisor. That way at the barrier you can have the sunvisor folded up and the phone won't be seen. Once through, pull the visor down and you can start videoing. It might be better to have the iPhone 'upside down', then when it comes to editing the video turn the image 180 degrees

If you want a facing camera to see the faces of the passengers, use a Brodit clip on the centre vents and just clip the phone into it. The marshals won't know the phone is being used as a camera.
lol...thats some ghetto cowboy style suction mount! lol
Appreciate 0