E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Yet another xDrive problem

12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Yet another xDrive problem

Today I was in town driving my wife's 2008 328xi coupe manual (55,000 miles with stock square 17" wheel set-up ) when all of a sudden the car starts to feel chunky when I press on the gas (kinda like how it feels when you are running out of gas). The gas was sort of low (I had 58 miles left), so I fill up with 14.5 gallons and start the car. I instantly get a 4x4! warning (yellow), the traction control disengaged light comes on, and the tire pressure light comes on. I check all tires. they are fine so I reset the tire pressure light and it never comes back (the 4x4! and traction control light stays on, though). I then drive the car to the dealership and have them diagnose the problem using the fob and it reads that AWD is disabled and so is the traction control, and to drive cautiously.

I have an appt. next Friday to have it thoroughly inspected, but was wondering what you guys think this might be? By the way.. the car drives great now.. no more "chunky" feeling as I described earlier before I got all the warning lights.

Last edited by Vegetable; 12-05-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Tcase motor or transfer case itself have failed. These parts are expensive at the dealer at ~650 for motor, ~2k for tcase + installation. If one of those are the issue I would get it to an indy and have them lightly used parts on ebay for a lot less $ (I got a 25k mile tcase+motor on ebay for $200 shipped, these deals are out there just have to look for them).

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
Tcase motor or transfer case itself have failed. These parts are expensive at the dealer at ~650 for motor, ~2k for tcase + installation. If one of those are the issue I would get it to an indy and have them lightly used parts on ebay for a lot less $ (I got a 25k mile tcase+motor on ebay for $200 shipped, these deals are out there just have to look for them).

This car is still covered under CPO,are those parts covered?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
This car is still covered under CPO,are those parts covered?
I had the tcase motor failure few months back and it was covered under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post

Did you have any mods to the suspension/wheels? I am mostly stock, but am contemplating taking the spacers off... I don't want them to have any reason to deny fixing this under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Did you have any mods to the suspension/wheels?
No, stock wheels and suspension minus the run flats - these things were driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post

Did you have any mods to the suspension/wheels? I am mostly stock, but am contemplating taking the spacers off... I don't want them to have any reason to deny fixing this under CPO.
If I were you, I'd remove the spacers just to be safe. They probably won't cause a warranty issue, but it's better safe than sorry. Just my $.02

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0