E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Most Comfrortable shocks with Eibachs

06-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
500e
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nice

Most Comfrortable shocks with Eibachs

Hi - So I am about to purchase some Eibach springs and install them on my e90 335xi using the stock shocks (47k miles). Now I am seriously considering some upgraded shocks as well. The reason I was going to skip on the shocks was cost. Don't want to spend 5-600 on shocks right now.

What are the best shocks to pair with the eibachs in terms of ride comfort (softer ride, car is a daily driver is bumpy MA roads and will never be tracked). The goal is to lower the car while staying as soft and comfortable as possible. Or do you think I should just go with OEM shocks for a year or two, will that be comfortable? Once I know which shocks are best for my goal I'll research the price and see if its feasible.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '18 X1, '21 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500e View Post
Hi - So I am about to purchase some Eibach springs and install them on my e90 335xi using the stock shocks (47k miles). Now I am seriously considering some upgraded shocks as well. The reason I was going to skip on the shocks was cost. Don't want to spend 5-600 on shocks right now.

What are the best shocks to pair with the eibachs in terms of ride comfort (softer ride, car is a daily driver is bumpy MA roads and will never be tracked). The goal is to lower the car while staying as soft and comfortable as possible. Or do you think I should just go with OEM shocks for a year or two, will that be comfortable? Once I know which shocks are best for my goal I'll research the price and see if its feasible.

Thanks.
Almost all after market shocks/struts will be firmer than OEM non-sport, but provide better handling. You could go with adjustable Koni Yellow or Koni FSD, or similarly Bilstein. You may want to search the threads for Eibach Pro springs and see what other people pair them with. I am in southern NH and installed Koni Yellow and Eibach Pro on my E90 335xi last month. Love the handling, but a little too low for me. See pics in your other post. Obviously height is subjective...

One other thing to considered is that if you just do the springs and not the shocks, you end up paying someone to take your car apart twice, unless of course, its a DYI project.

Last edited by thegrinchboy; 06-10-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
500e
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm considering the eibach only because I want to retain a nice ride and risk early shock replacement. Unless one of the aftermarket ones are soft enough.

Also did you get the eibach a for a 335i to reduce the rake effect? If so wats the part number?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm considering the eibach only because I want to retain a nice ride and risk early shock replacement. Unless one of the aftermarket ones are soft enough.

Also did you get the eibach a for a 335i to reduce the rake effect? If so wats the part number?
I wanted to improve the overall handling and lower the car thus the Koni Yellow as well. I considered KW V1 but then back off for ride/comfort adjustability and cost. In retrospect, I would have gone to KW Street Comfort if I had known about them. These are ride and height adjustable, albeit more expensive. The Koni PN is 2092.14. Everyone on the forum uses the same for xi and non-xi. As noted I am actually swapping out my Eibach springs in July for ZSP to get back some of the height.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
500e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinchboy View Post
I wanted to improve the overall handling and lower the car thus the Koni Yellow as well. I considered KW V1 but then back off for ride/comfort adjustability and cost. In retrospect, I would have gone to KW Street Comfort if I had known about them. These are ride and height adjustable, albeit more expensive. The Koni PN is 2092.14. Everyone on the forum uses the same for xi and non-xi. As noted I am actually swapping out my Eibach springs in July for ZSP to get back some of the height.
What is a ZSP? I'm guessing its the springs from a different model? Actually I may be interested in that as well. I am going to keep the stock shocks, so does it make sense to install the springs from a different model BMW to lower the car, I'm guessing this would result in the drop being less, but I am okay with that! Let me know if you have more details on alternatives to Eibach.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What is a ZSP? I'm guessing its the springs from a different model? Actually I may be interested in that as well. I am going to keep the stock shocks, so does it make sense to install the springs from a different model BMW to lower the car, I'm guessing this would result in the drop being less, but I am okay with that! Let me know if you have more details on alternatives to Eibach.
ZSP is the sports package code from BMW. BMW does not make sports suspensions for E9x xDrive 3 series, but does have them for for the non-xDrive. I am basically putting in non-xDrive BMW sport springs, which many people have done. There is also the option of BMW performance springs which are stiff than sport, much more similar to Eibach, but twice as much expensive.

Last edited by thegrinchboy; 06-19-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
500e
Private
United_States
Rep

I just read all 9 pages of that suspension sticky, and had a few questions. Seems like I can get the Eibachs, ZSP, or BMW Performance Springs. Seems like these three have modest lowering capabilities which is good for me. But do any of these remove the raked look Xi's have (back lower than front)? Also IFF I do decide to also replace my shocks what combo (springs/shocks) will give me the best ride comfort? Honestly dont care about improving the handling too much although it would be a nice to have.

Priorities (Lower car about 1.2-1, Similar to OEM ride comfort, low cost)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Almost all after market shocks/struts will be firmer than OEM non-sport, but provide better handling. You could go with adjustable Koni Yellow or Koni FSD, or similarly Bilstein. You may want to search the threads for Eibach Pro springs and see what other people pair them with. I am in southern NH and installed Koni Yellow and Eibach Pro on my E90 335xi last month. Love the handling, but a little too low for me. See pics in your other post. Obviously height is subjective...

One other thing to considered is that if you just do the springs and not the shocks, you end up paying someone to take your car apart twice, unless of course, its a DYI project.
I first purchased the Bilstein shocks but I ended up swapping them for the adjustable Koni Yellows. Much smoother ride, I have it set to one click firmer than the pre-dialed setting. I like the fact that I can adjust them easily when I want to.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just read all 9 pages of that suspension sticky, and had a few questions. Seems like I can get the Eibachs, ZSP, or BMW Performance Springs. Seems like these three have modest lowering capabilities which is good for me. But do any of these remove the raked look Xi's have (back lower than front)? Also IFF I do decide to also replace my shocks what combo (springs/shocks) will give me the best ride comfort? Honestly dont care about improving the handling too much although it would be a nice to have.

Priorities (Lower car about 1.2-1, Similar to OEM ride comfort, low cost)
1) Most after market springs do remove the raked look.
2) ZSP lowers the least of the three. Eibach Pro/BMW PS (?) then H&R.
3) For comfort (subjective) any of the aftermarket will do - Koni FSD, Bilstein HD, etc. For adjustability on comfort, Koni Yellow. My understanding is that at full soft this is about the same as BMW sport, e.g. ZSP (not Performance).
4) For price, after market ($250+ per set of 4) is cheaper than OEM ($95~$110/spring for OEM BMW ZSP or PS spring from Tischer). Or you can buy used which is what many people on the forum do.

Where are you in MA? There is a local installer that many of us in MA/NH use. I can send you his name. PM me.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
500e
Private
United_States
Rep

Pm sent.

Anyone have a link to a thread with zcp springs and part numbers? Narrowed down to zcp or eibach a on oem shocks. Also curious if going with zcp can you use the oem zcp strut/shocks? I believe I read that they won't fit?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

The thing about using Eibach on stock shocks is that they will wear out quicker. This may be true if you put springs that are more aggressive than stock, so that means all.

You may end up with worn out shocks sooner than later, thus expect to pay double for install/alignment if you keep your stock shocks.

Based on reviews here on the forum, Blistein shocks are less comfortable than Koni.
Koni Yellows allow you to adjust rebound, not height. Setting at full soft might help with comfortability.
Eibach springs lower the car a bit. You will notice the lack of ground clearance in the winter when the wheel wells get packed with snow.
Still, Id say its well worth it to have upgraded suspension. Just save up for some 18" wheels and you would be set.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Bilstein Sports. Nice Ride on 18's
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
500e
Private
United_States
Rep

I actually bought some OEM 162 with non RFT. So in terms of comfort going with adjustable Konis paired with the Eibachs I just ordered? Where do i get the price for the shocks?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
RX_AGENT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually bought some OEM 162 with non RFT. So in terms of comfort going with adjustable Konis paired with the Eibachs I just ordered? Where do i get the price for the shocks?
tire rack
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Check Bavarian Auto in Portsmouth, NH.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
v1nc86
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I've a 2008 E90 335xi and I'm about to buy Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach Pro springs ("I" version), but as someone else mentioned previously, I'm also wondering if it will reduce the rake effect? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
      06-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
1) Most after market springs do remove the raked look.
2) ZSP lowers the least of the three. Eibach Pro/BMW PS (?) then H&R.
3) For comfort (subjective) any of the aftermarket will do - Koni FSD, Bilstein HD, etc. For adjustability on comfort, Koni Yellow. My understanding is that at full soft this is about the same as BMW sport, e.g. ZSP (not Performance).
4) For price, after market ($250+ per set of 4) is cheaper than OEM ($95~$110/spring for OEM BMW ZSP or PS spring from Tischer). Or you can buy used which is what many people on the forum do.

Where are you in MA? There is a local installer that many of us in MA/NH use. I can send you his name. PM me.

GL!
You don't want to run Bilstein HD with lowering springs. They are valved/engineered for stock ride height. With lowering springs, you'll want ot be on Bilstein sports.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
ZSP is the sports package code from BMW. BMW does not make sports suspensions for E9x xDrive 3 series, but does have them for for the non-xDrive. I am basically putting in on-xDrive BMW sport springs, which many people have done. There is also the option of BMW performance springs which are stiff than sport, much more similar to Eibach, but twice as much expensive.
Where are you getting your ZSP springs from? I was told these don't fit so I went with Eibach. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Where are you getting your ZSP springs from? I was told these don't fit so I went with Eibach. Damn.
I bought them from the various Forum members. You can also get them from Tischer/getoemparts, but you need to provide a VIN with the desired configuration (335/328/MT/AT, etc.) for them to get you the parts. New ones ZSP springs runs about $100/spring from Tisher.
Appreciate 0