E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Not bad for a diesel

05-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Carl

I reakon if I put you at Santa Pod tomorrow and gave you 1 run in a 330d Manual and then 1 run in a 330d Auto you would be quicker in the auto.

What do you think.
id be f**kin ten times quicker in the manual mate
      05-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
all day long the manual would be quicker if you gave me the two gibbo. propa launch and less losses. thanks
      05-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
id be f**kin ten times quicker in the manual mate
1 run only in each.
Have you ever driven a 330d Manual??
I think for you to get a good start and 3 clean gearchanges on your first run I would bet on most people in the auto anyday.
      05-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1 run only in each.
Have you ever driven a 330d Manual??
I think for you to get a good start and 3 clean gearchanges on your first run I would bet on most people in the auto anyday.
Mate, i love manuals. I can drive a manual very well... even withot ever driving a 330d in either guise, i would be quicker over one run in the manual.. i dont need a million practise starts to get it right
      05-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
on top of that, yes an auto is easy to launch, DONT MAKE IT A GOOD LAUNCHER... especially a diesel 335....

27 in first and in third before 60 is w**k....

all those times i posted were after SEVERAL ATTEMPTS AT THE BEST.

etc... so i dont really know what your getting at gibbo
      05-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mate, i love manuals. I can drive a manual very well... even withot ever driving a 330d in either guise, i would be quicker over one run in the manual.. i dont need a million practise starts to get it right
I would love to see this experiment. The point is on the perfect start, clean gearchanges, good driver the manual would be quicker (say 0.5 second for arguments sake.)

Fluff the start a bad change from 1st to 2nd and suddenly the auto has gone past and game over.

This was my point about a manual S3 ultimately harder to perfect but more satisfaction when you get a manual right.
      05-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
AND gibbo my point is, all the times ive posted are peopel tryign there hardest, and the re-mapped 335d is FAST, quicker than VXR8 and is as quick as a RB320 to 100 even though it was 0.6 down 0-60, and would pull away after that..

now everyone agrees on the road the 335d is piss easy to be quick, THUS PROVING it would pretty much mince that opposition on the road..
and scare much more capable cars midrange etc.

A 4wd manual car is not that hard to master. Now a laggy 600bhp manual sierra cossie would be satisfying to launch correctly!
      05-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #30
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

This is what I mean. Don't show it to Steve A.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...44&Page=2&CT=V
      05-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
id never expect you to want to hear that etc..

I`m bored of beating diesels now Carl. M5`s and 996 Turbo`s are more fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #32
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

All over this forum (and others), I see the same bl**dy car again and again and again, combined with the same waffle about remaps, quarter-miles, living with M3s, how DXB is better than every other car on the road and so on.

Please give us a rest.
Spend more time driving it, less time justifying it.
Try some corners on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 04:56 AM   #33
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
LOL at this thread!

Carl we know the dxb is good even though shes a diesel

To me faaaaast doesn't always = fun, it can often be a very numb sensation in a luxary modern car. when we were driving up the A50 (think that is the A50!) to Stoke on Trent type area, before we went through that village and onto some proper roads before reaching Buxton, we were averaging perhaps 95/100 leptons, you in the dxb me in the MX.

While I have no doubt in the dxb it felt very quiet, very comfortbale and very much like you were cruising along, in the MX you were getting alot of wind, a lot of road noise and "cruising" at revs that are past the dxbs redline!

I've had two very capable modern cars before and believe you me it ain't fun 'til your doing over 120, or going at dangerous speeds down B Roads, I love my old cars because they are just as fun because they aren't as capable, you have to plan ahead, your brakes are no where near as good, your VMaxxing at about 120 with a screaming petrol engine.

Strangely enough as you know I'm currently saving for a brand new car, yes people you read that right a brand new car, built to my specification that brand new car will be the only new car I'd like that I can buy for under about £70K, a Caterham 7.

I can understand that some of you don't like the basic layout of two seats, a steering wheel, three pedals, a handbrake and gear stick, if your lucky a bit of carpet too LOL Carlos likes his luxaries, I think, quite a classic line at our little Buxton meet I said (to do the treasure hunt) "Your car or mine?" he said "Mine, it's got a/c" LOL I replied "Well mine has no roof" (meaning the roof was down!)

Anyway I was mega impressed with the dxb, quite surprised it was as quick as it is and the brakes where awesome (would they fit an MX5 by any chance?!) LOL it also did very odd things like passing you your seatbelt. So it kept me occupied. Not something I'd want personally but I'm sure Carl wouldn't want to live with the cars I have everyday either, the world would be such a boring place if we all drove diesel BMWs likewise if we we all had Mk. 1 MX5s and 80's 3 Series Convertibles, so it's all good!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #34
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Plus .. the DXB was not quite as quick on the treasure hunt as the 0-60 times would suggest
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #35
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is what I mean. Don't show it to Steve A.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...44&Page=2&CT=V
Old Vid mate!! good one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
I`m bored of beating diesels now Carl. M5`s and 996 Turbo`s are more fun.
I bet mate!! How quick is yours now? i drove a 911 turbo (550bhp) was was later timed 0-100 in 8 flat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kend View Post
All over this forum (and others), I see the same bl**dy car again and again and again, combined with the same waffle about remaps, quarter-miles, living with M3s, how DXB is better than every other car on the road and so on.

Please give us a rest.
DRIVE IT

are you some sort of joker!!!

I have done more miles in her than you could imagine

I wasnt justifying anything, makes interstesting reading i think dont you? who would have believed it, a diesel

Your just sick of me, not the times and not this post.

If another forum member had posted this im sure you would have something positive to post!

I enjoy my car and enjoy talking about, its a shame your not as enthusiastic as young carlos is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Plus .. the DXB was not quite as quick on the treasure hunt as the 0-60 times would suggest
HAHA
      05-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #36
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Carlos, I think its the 'broken record' syndrome that is the problem
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #37
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Carlos, I think its the 'broken record' syndrome that is the problem
How was the original post that though? i was merely pointing out some facts that i thought e90 users would find interesting (especially re-mapped 335d owners)
      05-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #38
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kend View Post

Please give us a rest.

Kend,

OTT mate.

Carlos is a YOUNG enthusiastic man and judging by his posts etc. has a fair bit of motoring experience (track days etc) and is full of E92 Diesel enthusiasm.

Remaps, quarter miles, living with M3's. I agree it's not for everyone but he's 20+ and doesn't deserve some kind of character assassination.

I wish I had the free time to attend track days etc and communicate my experiences with other E90 members. However I am 30++, wife and 2 kids yet still enjoy reading the majority of Carlos's posts.

Keep them coming Carlos!

As for you Kend...If you don't like......don't read..quite simple!

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #39
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
. I bet mate!! How quick is yours now?

With a good launch mate, I rekon about as quick as a standard 335d.

Maybe we could have a few quid on it Carl ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #40
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Kend,

OTT mate.

Carlos is a YOUNG enthusiastic man and judging by his posts etc. has a fair bit of motoring experience (track days etc) and is full of E92 Diesel enthusiasm.

Remaps, quarter miles, living with M3's. I agree it's not for everyone but he's 20+ and doesn't deserve some kind of character assassination.

I wish I had the free time to attend track days etc and communicate my experiences with other E90 members. However I am 30++, wife and 2 kids yet still enjoy reading the majority of Carlos's posts.

Keep them coming Carlos!

As for you Kend...If you don't like......don't read..quite simple!

PhilR

Thanks buddy

Not so much track experiance with a road car (which is fairly lukewarm really) Brunters and Santa pod lol But raced in Karts (real ones) for years growing up. Racing back then alot of famous ish people now!!

Driven many many miles in my 7 year driving career though so i agree im experianced

Ill keep it up mate dont you worry

thanks again

Carlos
      05-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #41
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Why do you have to keep quoting figures about the 335D, yes its a fast car, but boring in doing so, I found it to have no driving involvement, compared to my previous and current cars - You seem to be constantly defending it

Oh and for the record, the S3 is 5.6 and 13.6, as tested by EVO, and a lot more involving.

Go and get a proper drivers car, and give your dad his 335D back.........
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #42
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
Why do you have to keep quoting figures about the 335D, yes its a fast car, but boring in doing so, I found it to have no driving involvement, compared to my previous and current cars - You seem to be constantly defending it

Oh and for the record, the S3 is 5.6 and 13.6, as tested by EVO, and a lot more involving.

Go and get a proper drivers car, and give your dad his 335D back.........

Olih hows the S3 ??
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #43
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Loving it, hating filling up every few days though. The re-map has made it a real animal, when the turbo's on song its fast, really fast - so much so, that when my mate drove it the other day, he said it would easily keep up with his Carrera 4S! I find it handles really well, and the way it puts the power down is just amazing, mind you I can still get the traction light flashing

The only trouble is that Ill only be keeping it for 6-8 months (some kind of record for me), as my family will be expanding again next year - BUT, I think Im going to replace it with a RS4 saloon, that hopefully I'll keep for a couple of years......

Hows the M3?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #44
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
Loving it, hating filling up every few days though. The re-map has made it a real animal, when the turbo's on song its fast, really fast - so much so, that when my mate drove it the other day, he said it would easily keep up with his Carrera 4S! I find it handles really well, and the way it puts the power down is just amazing, mind you I can still get the traction light flashing

The only trouble is that Ill only be keeping it for 6-8 months (some kind of record for me), as my family will be expanding again next year - BUT, I think Im going to replace it with a RS4 saloon, that hopefully I'll keep for a couple of years......

Hows the M3?
Not getting much use at the mo' and as for filling up oh and had worse
Appreciate 0