E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

03-28-2007, 04:43 AM   #265
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Some pictures of that thing on iDrive please?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #266
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Major Husker - great photos! Thanks a bunch!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #267
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe 6MT

I was told by the parts department in Carrs of Bury St. Edmunds (The U.K. BMW dealership my U.S. spec car was prepped at) that they can't even "order" the part (Cable adapter for Apple Ipod) because it's not "available" yet. They say it will be another 2 weeks before they can even order it...let alone deliver it to me.

I find this very hard to believe for 2 reasons:
#1 - I doubt BMW would go to all this trouble to release 6FL options but not let the dealers be able to get the cable in stock.
#2 - Major Husker's (You must be a Nebraska fan) rep got one for him.

Maybe I should change my sig to:

Disbelief in Britian

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #268
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFother View Post
I was told by the parts department in Carrs of Bury St. Edmunds (The U.K. BMW dealership my U.S. spec car was prepped at) that they can't even "order" the part (Cable adapter for Apple Ipod) because it's not "available" yet. They say it will be another 2 weeks before they can even order it...let alone deliver it to me.

#1 - I doubt BMW would go to all this trouble to release 6FL options but not let the dealers be able to get the cable in stock.

Disbelief in Britian
It's probably true.

#1. A person from the Performance Center said the same thing happened with the headphones for the X5 Rear Entertainment System when it first came out. It was a couple of weeks before they even knew what part no. to order. It certainly doesn't speak well of either BMWUK or BMWNA that something like this should happen.

#2. Major Husker is in Germany. I guess they're better organized there.

I hope things are squared away in time for my May 2nd PCD. If I don't get it then, I won't have it until I get back from a 4-6 week trip (and I won't be able to use the iPod on the trip).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 03:36 AM   #269
Major Husker
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Any idea if the adapter has a part # on it? My car was delivered without it so I'm taking matters into my own hands and trying to spoonfeed them as much information as possible so I can get my adapter ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
Eric-
Sorry, totally forgot about this yesterday. I wish I would have kept the packaging. The only number on the adapter cord is: 0422099-01
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #270
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Some pictures of that thing on iDrive please?
Tomorrow hopefully!! I'm picking my car up tonight.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #271
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Disbelief in Britian
Typical stupidity. I am picking my car up tonight and HOPEFULLY the required cable will be with it. If it is, I will be sure to post the part number for you.

Isn't there someone that you can escalate to? Over here, I would be on the phone with BMWNA every hour until the assured me it was coming FedEx.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #272
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

current p/n is 61 12 0422 099

Canadians will have to order it themselves as it is not included in the price of 6FL.
      03-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #273
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I know *everything* is an extra on BMWs, but to quote for an interface and then not be in a position to provide the cable on new cars, then charge for it is a bit much in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 05:10 AM   #274
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I've instructed my CA to obtain this cable for me today from inventory, or if unavailable to have it sent FedEx to my home. Pending his findings (i.e. "gee, there aren't any available, etc.) I will escalate to BMWNA. I will also warn the GM that the "all fives" are in serious jeopardy if I'm not pacified on this.

If anyone in BMW is listening... this is how you piss off the new owner of a nearly $50k car - by leaving out a fucking $10 cable. Way to go! Are you striving to be GM?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #275
I-Won-Today
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with wheels

DUH CAR,

Thanks for the part #

I had our parts department go ahead and order a couple of the cables. They currently show plenty of availability. It is strange however that BMW has yet to send out a bulletin with the part # or ordering instructions.

Anyone taking delivery at the Performance Center will have the cable, unless we don't receive the cables in time (which I don't think will happen).

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #276
VaBMWLooker
Jabber Master First Class
Rep
Drives: 328 convertible (in production

Question - I'm getting a phone cradle that will go in the armrest of my new ride - how will this work with the 6FL I'm also getting?
In NY 4/2 !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #277
cave
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D (E60)

Picked up my new car yesterday (2008 520D) and as I already expected no cable supplied with my USB interface option (6FL). The dealer doesn't understand why the cable was not supplied. He ordered one for me and I hope next week I will receive the cable. (for free).

I tried using an audio cable and an (ipod/usb) cable and I can listen to the songs but the iDrive doesn't list the names of artists, albums, etc ...
The only thing I see is the directory structure of my IPOD but this is not very clear to read ... all abreviations.
When I connect an USB memory stick I can see all names and I can select anything I want.

Do I really need the special cable to view the names of artist, albums, etc ? I was told that the cable was necessary to listen to the DRM songs I bought from iTunes.
Or does it take a long time to generate these lists ? I connected a 30Gb (generation 5) IPod (with only 300Mb free space ) ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #278
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBMWLooker View Post
Question - I'm getting a phone cradle that will go in the armrest of my new ride - how will this work with the 6FL I'm also getting?
There shouldn't be a problem. The USB goes in the same small panel that has the AUX input and there should still be plenty of room for the iPod itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #279
cave
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D (E60)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave View Post
Picked up my new car yesterday (2008 520D) and as I already expected no cable supplied with my USB interface option (6FL). The dealer doesn't understand why the cable was not supplied. He ordered one for me and I hope next week I will receive the cable. (for free).

I tried using an audio cable and an (ipod/usb) cable and I can listen to the songs but the iDrive doesn't list the names of artists, albums, etc ...
The only thing I see is the directory structure of my IPOD but this is not very clear to read ... all abreviations.
When I connect an USB memory stick I can see all names and I can select anything I want.

Do I really need the special cable to view the names of artist, albums, etc ? I was told that the cable was necessary to listen to the DRM songs I bought from iTunes.
Or does it take a long time to generate these lists ? I connected a 30Gb (generation 5) IPod (with only 300Mb free space ) ?
Oeps ... seems I was a little bit to quick. I've waited for about 5 minutes and now all lists are generated. I can select artists, albums, etc...
I didn't even have to connect with the audio cable ... only the USB/IPod cable and everything works fine. I cannot play DRM songs, because then you need the special 6FL cable. (will test next week when the cable arrives).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #280
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave View Post
Oeps ... seems I was a little bit to quick. I've waited for about 5 minutes and now all lists are generated. I can select artists, albums, etc...
I didn't even have to connect with the audio cable ... only the USB/IPod cable and everything works fine. I cannot play DRM songs, because then you need the special 6FL cable. (will test next week when the cable arrives).
I believe it's faster using the iPod/USB cable because it uses the information already in the iPod rather than having to index the MP3 tags from all the songs.

Some functions may be better with the cable as well since it uses the iPod functionality. In particular, shuffle may be better and will be just like the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #281
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I believe it's faster using the iPod/USB cable because it uses the information already in the iPod rather than having to index the MP3 tags from all the songs.

Some functions may be better with the cable as well since it uses the iPod functionality. In particular, shuffle may be better and will be just like the iPod.
Yes, I understand that the cable has something that speeds up the indexing(?). Without it and with a large amount of Gb, it takes awhile.
      03-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #282
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Is it possible that this little device will work?

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

-MrB
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #283
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
They say yes so I just orderd one from Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #284
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
What I am really waiting for is someone to make an interface to allow the NAV screen to show videom from the ipod or a DVD etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #285
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
What I am really waiting for is someone to make an interface to allow the NAV screen to show videom from the ipod or a DVD etc.
Check this thread out by BenMW where he uses "TVNav2Go" for video...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46298.

Also re-checked the cable situation in the UK with my dealer. He has now confirmed there is some confusion because a standard cable (which works partially) is supplied but the iPod specifc cable (which works fully) is not. He also confirmed the part number for iPod one is 61 12 0 422 099.

All I can say is thank god for this forum. Without it I would never found out about 6FL in the first place!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #286
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Yes, I understand that the cable has something that speeds up the indexing(?). Without it and with a large amount of Gb, it takes awhile.
What the cable actually does is to convert the USB to operate the iPod via its' serial control interface (which is totally different from its' USB interface). Thus all the internal logic that you use via the iPod click wheel, etc. and more is available to the BMW Radio/iDrive.

The cable doesn't speed up the indexing per se. The iPod already has an index of all songs. The 6FL can access this index via the cable and thus doesn't have to do the indexing itself.

The device mentioned by mrbelk does NOT access the serial interface so when used with 6FL it isn't any different than a straight USB cable.
Appreciate 0