Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Conti Extreme Contact DWS Recommendation?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
balgopi
AC Milan Rossenari
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Wait for the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 to come out in the next couple months. I have the DWSs and would not buy them again for the issues already listed above.
What problems mentioned above? Most, if not all users, have said positive things about these tires, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalco450 View Post
DWS's are very narrow. My 235's and 265's seem to be 205 and 245 on 8.5'' and 9.5''. But overall, they are very good. Around 25000 miles on them and the fronts still look brand new but not the rears with their 4 or 5/32''. Will buy another set anytime. But will be 245/275.

Here's one of my 235 DWS on top of my wife's 225 Goodyear GT:
Thanks for the pic and advise!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balgopi View Post
What problems mentioned above? Most, if not all users, have said positive things about these tires, mate.
Try not selectively reading only the positive responses which have been mentioned then...multiple people in this thread have commented on the following: mushy sidewalls, "balloon" feeling handling, flat spotting, increased noise with wear, etc. That, plus completely inconsistent driving characteristics and poor quality control has left me with a sour taste for these tires altogether.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Try not selectively reading only the positive responses which have been mentioned then...multiple people in this thread have commented on the following: mushy sidewalls, "balloon" feeling handling, flat spotting, increased noise with wear, etc. That, plus completely inconsistent driving characteristics and poor quality control has left me with a sour taste for these tires altogether.
My post was the one which mentioned "slightly 'mushy' feel on initial turn in", not mushy sidewalls. And since this deals with only the initial turn in feedback, neither handling nor grip is adversely affected. So it's no big deal. In 20,000 miles, I never had a "balloon feeling", "flat spotting", or "increased noise with wear".

Have you actually experienced these things with the DWS tires - or are you basing your decision on selectively read negative internet posts?

To repeat, the DWS is the best value available in an A/S tire, IMHO.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
My post was the one which mentioned "slightly 'mushy' feel on initial turn in", not mushy sidewalls. And since this deals with only the initial turn in feedback, neither handling nor grip is adversely affected. So it's no big deal. In 20,000 miles, I never had a "balloon feeling", "flat spotting", or "increased noise with wear".

Have you actually experienced these things with the DWS tires - or are you basing your decision on selectively read negative internet posts?

To repeat, the DWS is the best value available in an A/S tire, IMHO.

Tom
I was the one who posted about the balloon tire feeling and I am telling you it was not subtle. Granted, that was with a different set of tires on the front but I can't imagine that would entirely account for the unstable feeling the DWS gave me.

Not just mushy turn in...I could literally feel the back end moving around on wavy spots on the interstate at high speed.

Maybe the tire is better in a 19 with shorter sidewalls...maybe I just got a bad tire or set...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
balgopi
AC Milan Rossenari
Rep

Should I be running an even set all the way around then?

Alufelgen gave me these specs for the wheels:
For the front - 19x8.5 and the rear 19x9.5

Should I run one consistent set up on all four tires?

Will it affect driving that bad?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I was the one who posted about the balloon tire feeling and I am telling you it was not subtle. Granted, that was with a different set of tires on the front but I can't imagine that would entirely account for the unstable feeling the DWS gave me.

Not just mushy turn in...I could literally feel the back end moving around on wavy spots on the interstate at high speed.

Maybe the tire is better in a 19 with shorter sidewalls...maybe I just got a bad tire or set...
Maybe it's because you mixed tire brands. It is hard to judge tires when they are not a matching set. Only then can you crap all over them...if they still feel that way...LOL!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:

OP, I have DWS on my ride. My son has DWS on his Porsche Cayman S. Both of our rides have staggered sets.

I have 18-inch 219M M3 OEM wheels with 8.5F/9.5R widths. Unless you have AWD, staggered set would suffice, because the wider tires will be where most of the power is generated, thus having a bigger patch in the rear to transfer power to the road is essential for grip.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:

I'll have the same size wheels tomorrow, and I've been told by multiple sources (including Alufelgen and the vendor) that I should run 235/35 front and 265/30 rear. So that's what I'm going to do. I wanted to try to squeeze 275s in the rear, but I'm told they'll rub.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Best all season tires out there!!! You will not be disappointed.

I have them on my stock 18s and my wife's TSX stock 17s. Hands down, the best all seasons I have ever owned on any of my cars.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
balgopi
AC Milan Rossenari
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
OP, I have DWS on my ride. My son has DWS on his Porsche Cayman S. Both of our rides have staggered sets.

I have 18-inch 219M M3 OEM wheels with 8.5F/9.5R widths. Unless you have AWD, staggered set would suffice, because the wider tires will be where most of the power is generated, thus having a bigger patch in the rear to transfer power to the road is essential for grip.
Thanks for the help. I'm getting ready to order some soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I didn't like my Continental tires at all. I was going to buy the Michelin PS+, but opt for the Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S's instead. I heard much better reviews about the Pirelli's, plus they were $20 less per tire than a Michelin. I enjoy these tires a lot, very quiet, grips really nice and traction in the rain is pretty good. I couldn't tell you about how long they last though since I haven't had them for that long.
      03-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #34
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
I didn't like my Continental tires at all.
Were they the ExtremeContact DWS being discussed here, or the abysmal Conti runflats that come stock on many BMWs? Because there's a world of difference between the two, and it's important to be specific.

Put another way, just because the Primacy MXM4 is garbage and made by Michelin, doesn't mean the Pilot Super Sport is also crap.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Were they the ExtremeContact DWS being discussed here, or the abysmal Conti runflats that come stock on many BMWs? Because there's a world of difference between the two, and it's important to be specific.

Put another way, just because the Primacy MXM4 is garbage and made by Michelin, doesn't mean the Pilot Super Sport is also crap.
It was the runflat, sorry shouldv'e been more specific.

The only problem with Michelins (Any Michelin) is they tend (not all though) to wear down much faster than what they are supposed to. I've seen it on a weekly basis when customers come in with Michelins. None of them complain about the ride quality though.

I'm not saying my Pirelli's are the best in the world and will last forever (probably not at all considering my driving style). I was giving out more options to consider than the usual Continental DWS and PS+ that I see everywhere on this forum.
      03-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I Granted, that was with a different set of tires on the front .
This is what contributed to the poor handling feel more than anything else.

Mixing tire types will often make one end of the vehicle feel very sloppy.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.

Last edited by Gary@TireRack; 03-29-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0