E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Watch out for Iforged stealing your photos without permission

04-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejjisch View Post
still awaiting answer from Paul Emmerson at Iforged UK, I wonder why he doesnt answer me lol...

Perhaps I should contact Vincent again, OR just take it with a lawyer. :>
Still no response from Vincent over here Dejan. Pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #46
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Not trying to get OT, but I would check the vendors' sites for mods that you guys have installed on your cars if it bothers you. I've seen numerous pics on Morr's site of members' cars. I figure that they've asked though or it would have come up in the past.
      04-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #47
dejjisch
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang GT/CS -07

Bill: That sucks indeed, as many already said he for sure is a real ass.

We'll wait and see if they'll answer, I'm awaiting one from Paul and you from Vincent. :>
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #48
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

They are not call Iforgery for nothing....

P.S. Eisenhaus used one of my picture as well, and we all know how reputable they are...
      04-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #49
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Take immediate legal action, this is a case that will surely turn over in your favor, its your property for god sake it would be no different if someone stole shit off your car. Iforged boooo
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #50
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Aside from it being illegal, unethical, and all that, I really don't get why someone using your pic would bother you. Why do you care? I don't think I'd care and that makes me think I'm missing something here. Can someone fill me in?

Edit: Oops! Scratch that - I just reread your post and realized that you are a photograhper. I read this when you first posted it but I was just skimming quickly and must have missed that - right at the beginning of your post, no less. Sorry for the schtupit question. Carry on...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #51
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Aside from it being illegal, unethical, and all that, I really don't get why someone using your pic would bother you. Why do you care? I don't think I'd care and that makes me think I'm missing something here. Can someone fill me in?
When your job is taking photos, its very serious. Your photos are how you make money and having someone just steal them without giving any credit feels like crap. They are essentially stealing money (photo rights) from Dejan. Getting your work published in a magazine is usually an exciting time in the career of a photographer. In this case, the photographer, got screwed and is not excited at all. It's all pretty common sense really, how is a photographer supposed to make money if companies are just stealing their photos for free?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #52
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
When your job is taking photos, its very serious. Your photos are how you make money and having someone just steal them without giving any credit feels like crap. They are essentially stealing money (photo rights) from Dejan. Getting your work published in a magazine is usually an exciting time in the career of a photographer. In this case, the photographer, got screwed and is not excited at all. It's all pretty common sense really, how is a photographer supposed to make money if companies are just stealing their photos for free?
Yes - understood, and in that case I'd be pissed too. I thought it was about a someone using a photo from someone other than a photographer. It certainly wouldn't bother me if say **********s used one of my photos of my M6 reps I bought from them - as an example, but I suspect this would bother some folks and that's what my question was about.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #53
dejjisch
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang GT/CS -07

Ah well Bill already answered with a good answer.

hmm I dont think there is any lawyer that is "no win, no pay" and such here in Sweden.

Oh... One thing really came out great out of all of this, actually!!!

I'll probably be shooting for the magazine Performance BMW, Swedish extreme BMW's that is, I've found plenty of them and the responsible for the magazine needs another photographer from Sweden that can handle and shoot the Swedish monsters, so hopefully that will work out great!!! )

funny way they discovered me tho, haha...

BUT, Iforged needs to learn their lesson anyways, I'm awaiting answers still, when I've got them I'll post them!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #54
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/show...88#post5944088

Some more info on pic stealing in that thread, and the thread linked in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #55
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
they're not the only one...............

even vendors on here steal pictures without asking.......

here's an example ----- btw: these vinyls are from Hunter.....not **********s.

eBay too.........
I can understand that there are vendors here that would steal pictures without asking, but that's not what we would do. We ask permission to use any pictures we put up on our site, and if the customer prefers not for those images to be on our site, we will gladly take it off, immediately.

There may have been some misunderstanding with using the image, but we have not heard from the person to take it off. If we were told to do so, then we would've taken it off a long time ago. That picture has been up there for a long time, and no body told us to take it off. So until then, I would appreciate it if you don't make us look like vendors who "steal" photos without permission.

For others that prefer your images not to be on our site, please let me know--I will be glad to take it off of our site.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 03:33 AM   #56
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by James************ View Post
I can understand that there are vendors here that would steal pictures without asking, but that's not what we would do. We ask permission to use any pictures we put up on our site, and if the customer prefers not for those images to be on our site, we will gladly take it off, immediately.

There may have been some misunderstanding with using the image, but we have not heard from the person to take it off. If we were told to do so, then we would've taken it off a long time ago. That picture has been up there for a long time, and no body told us to take it off. So until then, I would appreciate it if you don't make us look like vendors who "steal" photos without permission.

For others that prefer your images not to be on our site, please let me know--I will be glad to take it off of our site.
well if that person didn't ask u to take it off it doesnt mean u can use it without asking....
the problem is you never ask to use this picture in the 1st place....
after u use it, the actual owner may not know you actually use his pictures to put it on ur website, and that is why the owner didn't ask you to take it off...

edit:you said "we have not heard from the person to take it off. If we were told to do so, then we would've taken it off a long time ago. "
does that mean you already have the actual permission to use that picture?
If yes, you have the permission then good for you and you did the right thing
If no, it doesnt matter if you take it off if the actual owner of the picture ask u to take it because
you just don't have the permission to use that picture, and you are doing something wrong here.
even you take the picture off after the owner ask you to....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #57
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

BIG EDIT: As long as you asked in the first place and the owner of the image agrees to let you use it, then it's OK to use. It sounds like you're talking about a situation where somebody allowed you to use the image, and then possibly changed their mind later. If that's the case, unless you paid them for the image in the first place, it's probably still a good idea to take it off if they request to have it taken off after providing permission (gets hairy otherwise I think).

In the US, when a picture is taken then it is copyrighted to the owner, and utilizing that picture without explicit permission is illegal.

You cannot take the picture, and then just take it down when somebody complains. It's like if somebody just came to **********s' warehouse, took a set of wheels, and when you guys catch them driving around with your wheels, they'll take them off and give them back to you.

It's the use of the image without explicit permission that is illegal. The fact that you take it down when issued a basic cease and desist is great, but it doesn't negate the fact that it is improperly used in the first place.

On top of that, the images are used for advertising and generating profit. The right thing to do would be to license the image for use on your site, or take the image off and take your own pictures.
      04-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #58
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
well if that person didn't ask u to take it off it doesnt mean u can use it without asking....
the problem is you never ask to use this picture in the 1st place....
after u use it, the actual owner may not know you actually use his pictures to put it on ur website, and that is why the owner didn't ask you to take it off...

edit:you said "we have not heard from the person to take it off. If we were told to do so, then we would've taken it off a long time ago. "
does that mean you already have the actual permission to use that picture?
If yes, you have the permission then good for you and you did the right thing
If no, it doesnt matter if you take it off if the actual owner of the picture ask u to take it because
you just don't have the permission to use that picture, and you are doing something wrong here.
even you take the picture off after the owner ask you to....
+1 big f'n one.

ask permission first, then use it... what kind of person eats somebody else's food and then asks if they can eat it? thats just stupid.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #59
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
they're not the only one...............

even vendors on here steal pictures without asking.......

here's an example ----- btw: these vinyls are from Hunter.....not **********s.

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Vitex/Black%20Vinyl.jpg[/IMG]

eBay too.........
lol sue them!

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #60
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Okay,

I will not argue with anyone on this. I've taken the image off and made sure it stays that way because we do not just steal pictures that some of you probably think we do. We haven't heard the owner of that car tell us to take it off, but honestly, I'm sick of you guys pointing fingers at me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #61
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Hey guys, we do ask for permission on each picture. (I am sure other members can attest to this, we always ask them). It's no big deal -we'll pull it off our site right now. If the owner changes his mind as well, we will take it off our site.

Thats our policy to get permission first, not sure how it could have slipped. Anyway its gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #62
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay,

I will not argue with anyone on this. I've taken the image off and made sure it stays that way because we do not just steal pictures that some of you probably think we do. We haven't heard the owner of that car tell us to take it off, but honestly, I'm sick of you guys pointing fingers at me.

Thanks.
I think many of us were under the impression that the image was posted without permission from the owner. I'm still not sure if there was or not, as it's not really clear. If you have permission to use it, then do so and just set the record straight... I don't think it's a problem at all and just a communication issue if you guys have rights to use the photo. No need to take it personally... but when it's communicated as "the owner has not asked us to remove it, so it's OK" then it makes us assume that it was taken without permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Hey guys, we do ask for permission on each picture. (I am sure other members can attest to this, we always ask them). It's no big deal -we'll pull it off our site right now. If the owner changes his mind as well, we will take it off our site.

Thats our policy to get permission first, not sure how it could have slipped. Anyway its gone.
I don't doubt that you guys ask for permission first, and it's good to see that happens. Seems like this one is a slip up then? Regardless, it's gone and it wasn't a picture of the product as others stated anyway, so maybe it's for the better.
      04-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #63
NaTuReB0Y