E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Will softer shocks decrease need to align the car on rough roads?

08-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Will softer shocks decrease need to align the car on rough roads?

I was thinking that softer shocks will absorb more of the energy from bumps, thus reducing the impact on the components related to alignment...

But is that still true if the alignment components are between the shocks and the road, rather than between the shocks and the chassis? (Not even sure if I've got that right, coz I don't know where exactly the alignment stuff is placed.)

Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I'm not sure you understand the function of the dampers properly. "Softer" shocks don't absorb more of the impact energy. Softer dampers allow MORE movement by the springs, meaning they're free to compress and expand more than a "stiff" gala Ed dampers.

The end result is, with softer shocks the springs compress easily and you end up hitting the bumps stops more frequently and the same problems that results in the alignment being out of whack will cause it to go out of alignment more often. What you need is longer suspension travel in combination with a lower spring rate to allow that energy to be dissipated before hitting the bump stops. You know, like how Camry and Lexus calibrate their suspension.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
... What you need is longer suspension travel in combination with a lower spring rate to allow that energy to be dissipated before hitting the bump stops. You know, like how Camry and Lexus calibrate their suspension.
      08-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm not sure you understand the function of the dampers properly. "Softer" shocks don't absorb more of the impact energy. Softer dampers allow MORE movement by the springs, meaning they're free to compress and expand more than a "stiff" gala Ed dampers.

The end result is, with softer shocks the springs compress easily and you end up hitting the bumps stops more frequently and the same problems that results in the alignment being out of whack will cause it to go out of alignment more often. What you need is longer suspension travel in combination with a lower spring rate to allow that energy to be dissipated before hitting the bump stops. You know, like how Camry and Lexus calibrate their suspension.
+1

The answer to the question is yes IF you along with the softer shock, you have longer travel + a longer spring.

A softer shock by itself might make things worse because you bottom out more.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

The answer to your question is Koni FSD.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0