E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bluetooth / iPOD...... Complicated question, please help!

02-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport. On order E92 M3

Bluetooth / iPOD...... Complicated question, please help!

My recently purchased E90 has Professional Sat Nav, although it doesn't have the BMW bluetooth capability.

Ive looked at aftermarket models but nothing comes close to BMW's own version fully integrated with the prof sat nav.

Having had the car for 2 weeks now I have decided that I really want this option in my car

I am going to be finding out how much it is to get BMW to retro-fit this to my car today.

My question is this however... I am looking into getting a new mobile phone and am tempted by the new Sony Eric W880i. This phone is also an MP3 player aswell, so once its connected to the bluetooth can it also be connected as an Aux Audio devise at the same time so i can play the song off it while making a phone call at the same time???

Any advise welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester BMW View Post
My question is this however... I am looking into getting a new mobile phone and am tempted by the new Sony Eric W880i. This phone is also an MP3 player aswell, so once its connected to the bluetooth can it also be connected as an Aux Audio devise at the same time so i can play the song off it while making a phone call at the same time???

Any advise welcome.
Presumably you can connect the phone to the aux in?

You'll need a cable with a 3.5mm male stereo phono plug on the end to plug into the aux in socket.

Provided you can get it connected I don't see a problem. The phone will almost certainly pause MP3 playback when a call is being made, but that's what you want presumably?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
When my car came in I was expecting to simply install the adapter for my Nokia into the console. But the docking cradle wasn't there and the service department thought my car didn't have the Bluetooth (which it did) and quoted me, IIRC, £540 for retrofit. It ended up only costing me £130 for the cradle, adapter, and installation.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

yes. you can definitely do this, actually, i posted a bulletin months and months ago suggesting for people to do this. Just plug your phone in to the aux input via the adapter that comes with the phone and then a 3.5 mm plug and leave it in the center consoule.
except there is one major problem with your idea. the w880 PROBABLY will NOT connect to the e90. I have a SE P990 which is about 6 months old and features bluetooth 2.0 or something, it will not connect to my e90 which only supports 1.0. The w880 is obviously newer, so will have the same version bluetooth as my p990 and doubtfully will connect.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the advice, so im looking at about £500 to have bluetooth installed in my car...

sorry if this is a tedious question but will the new (yet to be released) Nokia N95 work?

If not, how can i get it to work?

So as far as i understand if i get the bluetooth retrofitted then buy the apropriate cradle for it i can plug it into the audio aux jack at the same time so im able to use the phone (as a phone) and as my Aux Audio device.....

Just want to make myself clear on what i need to do before talking to the dealership...

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Touringman
Private
Rep
Drives: Silver 335i MSport

As I have said, you can't use the Nokia "N" series phones with BMW bluetooth (its the BMW system that doesn't work with them.

Unless BMW update the their bluetooth system then the N95 ain't gonna work no matter what you do.

Awesome phone though - think I mught get one (5Mp camera, built in GPS etc)

Cheers
R1150 GS - for sale
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Yes the N95 does look like an impressive piece of kit. but if it doesn't work with the BMW then ill have to re-think that aswell.

I imagine that there are alot of people who have had to change their phones to coinside with the BMW bluetooth compatibility.

Ill try and get a list of phones off BMW i can use.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

what sort of money are the individual adapters so the phone fits snugly its own little custom slot? (there is summat so cool about that )

if it was like 20 quid then fine if its 50 then no chance - but if i know bmw it'll be the latter
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
what sort of money are the individual adapters so the phone fits snugly its own little custom slot? (there is summat so cool about that )

if it was like 20 quid then fine if its 50 then no chance - but if i know bmw it'll be the latter
Then you know BMW - £50
Appreciate 0