E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > The Next Generation of Bimmers -- My Thoughts

02-18-2023, 09:01 AM   #1
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

The Next Generation of Bimmers -- My Thoughts

I recently attended a car show that dealers put on from all makes. No Mercedes this year and only a couple of Audi's. Unfortunately no performance cars like Quadrifoglio Alfa's, Blackwings or M3/M4's. Ford did have the new Mustang and Chevy had a new Z06 but that's about it. Oh and their was a Supra which was pretty sweet. Since it's put on mostly by dealers I just think the lack of inventory hurts this type of event where in the past they've had these.

I am an automobile fan. Which means I like and appreciate an array of manufactures, technologies, and ideas. I've owned and driven all types. My sister was with me and we toured around sitting in everything we could and checking out many new designs and features that are hitting the car industry. Their was quite a few electric cars and even though I am a petrol head I did appreciate some of the technology and new take on interior design these offer.

After making are rounds we decided to head back to the BMW area. My sister and I are BMW fans and since I have 2 BMW's now it just makes sense that I want to experience more of what BMW is offering. I will say that the new interiors and build quality of BMW is really come a long way. They just feel different when you get in and shut the door. We sat in Land Rovers, Jags, Maserti's, Caddilac's etc. Everything is subjective but We just felt BMW is doing it better than some in regards to materials etc.

The one area that was in question was the new id8 though. I know this has been beaten to death but our take is that it works on some models and not in others. They had the X7, and new 7 series sedan along with the IX, I4 and some others. It works in the higher end premium models but not on the sportier ones. It just looks out of place on some models. Like it cost to much to design properly and just thrown out their. The graphics and such are great but we both just think putting the same screen on every car to align isn't the best way. I way prefer id7 in my M3 over the id8. To me it's just integrated better and gives the sporty cockpit feel.

They did have an IX, I4, and 7 series electric cars. To be honest when I've seen the new IX in magazines, car reviews on Youtube etc. I was like that thing is the most hideous car ever lol. Well after seeing it in person with the sport package it's really kind of neat technology. The interior on that thing is really advanced and different. I actually loved the inside and thought I could own one of these. Can't believe I'm saying that lol. The I4 doesn't do much for me and can't get over the front design. The I7 is incredible. We sat in the 7 and I mean you shut the door and it's so ridiculously plush and quiet. The build quality is superior to anything else their at the show.

So all in all it was great to check out so many different vehicles all in one place and compare technologies and styles. It's a car lovers dream. One thing I will say though is cost. I'm shocked at the prices of everything we were looking at. Even your everyday average family vehicle is getting so out of hand. It will be interesting as we venture farther down this rabbit hole how sales will do as things continue to cost more.

Pics below.
Attached Images

Last edited by LuckyBrand; 02-18-2023 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Unfortunately only the big shows are manufacturer supported but even at that some skip it as the investment isnt worth the cost.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Our local show this year was odd in a lot of ways. Versus last year, more companies showed up. Merc was there again, but it was like they purposefully only brought their oldest cars. Many of the new cars that we wanted to see were behind ropes (the new Mustang) and too far away to see the interiors or locked (the new 7 series, several others). BMW only brought one M, an X6M, and it was locked, too.

The EVs were interesting. Last year the Kia EV6 was there, but it was the base model and the interior was horrible. This year it was the GT version and the interior is pretty nice (the manual Recaro seats were comfy). We were able to sit in several Ioniq 5 trims...also nice but the steering wheels felt like round rocks. The Toyota and Subura EV CUV twins were terrible to sit in and seemed like one of those products that you stare at for an hour to try and figure out why it exists.

We had a good time and were left with a feeling that car industry is totally in flux.
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1321.50
br438583.50
      02-18-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Our local show this year was odd in a lot of ways. Versus last year, more companies showed up. Merc was there again, but it was like they purposefully only brought their oldest cars. Many of the new cars that we wanted to see were behind ropes (the new Mustang) and too far away to see the interiors or locked (the new 7 series, several others). BMW only brought one M, an X6M, and it was locked, too.

The EVs were interesting. Last year the Kia EV6 was there, but it was the base model and the interior was horrible. This year it was the GT version and the interior is pretty nice (the manual Recaro seats were comfy). We were able to sit in several Ioniq 5 trims...also nice but the steering wheels felt like round rocks. The Toyota and Subura EV CUV twins were terrible to sit in and seemed like one of those products that you stare at for an hour to try and figure out why it exists.

We had a good time and were left with a feeling that car industry is totally in flux.
Most of these shows are supported by local dealerships so they are like nah...not trashing cars
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 10:08 AM   #5
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Most of these shows are supported by local dealerships so they are like nah...not trashing cars
I know which local dealership usually brings the cars for this show. They had plenty of fun examples in inventory but didn't put as much effort into it this year. But, for all I know, they could have sold cars that they meant to bring right before the show. I care less about what BMW brings to these things versus other companies as I know the BMW lineup more than, say, Genesis.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #6
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Thats one good thing about the show I go to. Almost everything is accessible and u can get into just about every vehicle but I do think some don't bring certain models or participate due to what you said.
      02-18-2023, 10:21 AM   #7
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

BMW's new 7 series is something else. It's so different and beautiful in the cabin. I really hope they take a version of this design language and use it in their new models as time goes on. It really sets them apart from other manufacturers.
LuckyBrand1321.50
      02-18-2023, 11:16 AM   #8
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Overall I didn't like the interior design of the 7 in photos, but it looks great in person. And feels great too.

The giant ID8 screen is also well integrated into the dashboard design on the 7, it's not just slapped onto the dash like on the other ID8 cars. Still sucks that it doesn't have buttons, but at least the screen is nicely done on that car.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1321.50
      02-18-2023, 11:33 AM   #9
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Overall I didn't like the interior design of the 7 in photos, but it looks great in person. And feels great too.

The giant ID8 screen is also well integrated into the dashboard design on the 7, it's not just slapped onto the dash like on the other ID8 cars. Still sucks that it doesn't have buttons, but at least the screen is nicely done on that car.
I didn't like the pictures either. It's another BMW design that doesn't translate well to still photos, but when you're sitting in the cabin, you just want to stay there. It's a wonderful place to spend time.
LuckyBrand1321.50
      02-18-2023, 12:23 PM   #10
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

The new design language doesn’t do it for me at all. Facelift X7 is atrocious and the new 7/i7 even more so. I hope that those will sell horribly and that Bmw’s design team will either stop taking whatever they’re on or take twice the dose, cause it doesn’t work. That might get them back to the drawing board and maybe will have them to create something aesthetically pleasing. That curved tablet thing called dashboard is not much better. There’s a reason why Bugatti and Pagani doesn’t do those screens in their interior. They will become old very quickly. Those makers that don’t do new/face lifted model every other year or so to make the previous ones looking dated after 24/36 months. Shame on you Bmw.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

We had a good time and were left with a feeling that car industry is totally in flux.[/QUOTE]

Cadillac had their new electric lyriq and I honestly thought it was pretty cool. The interior was pretty nice and comfortable.
They had a Mustang Mach E GT which wasn't horrible either.

Yes agree! Industry is totally in flux.
Appreciate 0