E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > ignition coil and re-registering injectors to dme

03-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

ignition coil and re-registering injectors to dme

So I've noticed that my car has been accelerating a little rough and idling a little rough at times over the last few months. The rough idle part didn't bother me so much as I didn't really think anything of it. I did notice though, especially when the car is cold, that when I accelerate whether hard or easy, the car would feel likes it's a lumpy acceleration or likes it's kind of hesitating. I don't know how else to describe it. Then the other day, I was accelerating onto the freeway and it was really bad. I got off at my exit and at the light, I accelerated to about 4k rpm and then the check engine light came on. I didn't get the reduced engine power but the car did feel weaker and when I came to a stop, it was idling very rough. No fluctuations in the rpm but the car was kinda shaking. I drove it for a little bit thinking I would find a safe spot to pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on and see what would happen. Before I could pull it over, the check engine light went out and all was fine. The car appears to have "corrected" itself while I was driving and it was idling rough anymore. The acceleration was back to normal.

Fast forward to the dealer. I dropped off the car and they came back and said that ignition coil #5 needs to be replaced and it's misfiring. They also said that I need to have the injectors re-coded to the dme as it appears that the registration dropped out or got lost. This is the part that gets me. Has anybody ever heard of something like this?

My car is out of warranty at 102k miles. I've have my injectors replaced on two separate occasions and the dme was replaced as well. My battery was recently replaced a couple of months ago and during that service, they mentioned something about having some difficulty with registering the battery but didn't go into details. Does anybody think that during the battery replacement and registration process, they could have messed up the injectors registration? Do you think it's likely that when the injectors or the dme was replaced most recently that the tech didn't properly register the injectors?

I know cars but I don't know about BMW and registering the injectors to the dme nor do I have the tool to do it myself so I'd like to get your guys' feedback and opinions.
      03-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Coils and plugs don't need registering.
But injectors do.
If you have one that is not registered..... My guess, someone erased it and just forgot to reregister it when injectors were swapped.

If a dme actually lost registration.....hmmm that probably a hint that the dme might be on its way out.

DN
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you haven't done this Walnut Blast is in order

If you haven't done this Walnut Blast is in order.
The Intake should be inspected for Carbon Build up
on the valves. If this hasn't been done at all it needs to be done.
From the rest of the entrys about 335's on here is should be done
at least every 50k miles.
Injectors have a value that needs to be input for each
one that is written on the Injector . It can be done
with a coding setup.
There is a DIY on doing this in one of the sub forums.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=injectors

If you can find somebody with a coding setup in your area you can do a quick check. If it comes back showing you values that match the injectors
its not the problem.
Injectors shouldn't have to be re registered but its
possible the values where some how wiped out.
But I think you would notice it the moment you drove away.

You should be able to find a coder in the San Diego area .
Go to the coding sub forum.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368
I would bet that the Walnut Blast might clear up
your problems if you haven't had it done.

You can get a coding setup for the cost of a cable
around 100 bucks and the time you have to spend
downloading and setting up the software .
If gives you diagnostics and the ability to do some
programming on the car .

Last edited by ctuna; 03-06-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
So I've noticed that my car has been accelerating a little rough and idling a little rough at times over the last few months. The rough idle part didn't bother me so much as I didn't really think anything of it. I did notice though, especially when the car is cold, that when I accelerate whether hard or easy, the car would feel likes it's a lumpy acceleration or likes it's kind of hesitating. I don't know how else to describe it. Then the other day, I was accelerating onto the freeway and it was really bad. I got off at my exit and at the light, I accelerated to about 4k rpm and then the check engine light came on. I didn't get the reduced engine power but the car did feel weaker and when I came to a stop, it was idling very rough. No fluctuations in the rpm but the car was kinda shaking. I drove it for a little bit thinking I would find a safe spot to pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on and see what would happen. Before I could pull it over, the check engine light went out and all was fine. The car appears to have "corrected" itself while I was driving and it was idling rough anymore. The acceleration was back to normal.

Fast forward to the dealer. I dropped off the car and they came back and said that ignition coil #5 needs to be replaced and it's misfiring. They also said that I need to have the injectors re-coded to the dme as it appears that the registration dropped out or got lost. This is the part that gets me. Has anybody ever heard of something like this?

My car is out of warranty at 102k miles. I've have my injectors replaced on two separate occasions and the dme was replaced as well. My battery was recently replaced a couple of months ago and during that service, they mentioned something about having some difficulty with registering the battery but didn't go into details. Does anybody think that during the battery replacement and registration process, they could have messed up the injectors registration? Do you think it's likely that when the injectors or the dme was replaced most recently that the tech didn't properly register the injectors?

I know cars but I don't know about BMW and registering the injectors to the dme nor do I have the tool to do it myself so I'd like to get your guys' feedback and opinions.

Take your car back to where you had the battery replaced and you had the coding done for your "difficult" battery replacement. Chances are they F'ed up the re-coding and "lost" your injector values. If your SA has your injectors values written down for you... I'm sure anyone who has a coding cable and INPA setup can do the injector coding in a few seconds (It's really simple if you have the numbers). One of my friends did it borrowing my laptop and cable and watching a youtube video.

If you have to have an Indy take off the valve cover to dig up the injectors numbers... you might as well have them change out the spark plugs since they are already there. Also might as well take a few more seconds and have them clean out the VANOS solenoids with some brake cleaner.
Appreciate 0