E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N54 oil filter gasket leaking...

08-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

N54 oil filter gasket leaking...

So it looks like my car is trying really hard not to make it on our planned trip across Europe (in 2 weeks).

Found a nice little collection of oil today beneath the newly fitted ER oil cooler, first reaction was the oil cooler is buggered, but closer inspection shows all the lines/connections to the oil cooler is perfect, but one of the oil lines is literally covered in oil

Tracing the source of the oil found a nice puddle of oil next to the oil filter housing, and generally very greasy/mucky around that area....Have noticed some oil use in the last 12 months, but never thought much of it..

A quick look on the forum, and yeaph its another 'known' issue with the N54 engine The rubber gasket around the oil filter is prone to breaking down and leaking. Must have been going on for a while, but the process of installing the aftermarket cooler with the addition of much bigger lines must have helped to exaggerate the problem.

Oh well, cars back with the garage, going to do a full test of the ER cooler connectors to make sure its not that, and than it'll be a case of replacing the gaskets...that'll be the third time this year the water/oil cooling system of the car is been worked on

Even my wife is now use to the car breaking down and needing to be fixed...still better getting it sorted now than finding out half way up an alpine pass ....but at this rate we'll be taking the diesel Civic to Furkapass/Grimsel/Stelvio pass

In short, unless your an idiot and modify a N54 335 and therefore cannot get a warranty (like myself ) don't run one without a warranty
Appreciate 0