E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cop says I need a Chaprone to drive my own Bimmer

Closed Thread

04-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Cop says I need a Chaprone to drive my own Bimmer

I was coming home from work on Thursday evening. I was driving well within the speed limit talking to my friend via blue tooth (i-drive) on FM1960 in Houston, Texas. As I was passing the intersection of Perry Road I saw a cop car standing at the light in on coming lane getting ready to turn left. I did not think much.

About 3 blocks or so latter I see this white cop car flying through with out lights coming up behind me very rapidly. I still did not think much because I was driving the speed limit and not speeding. Then he jumps on his brakes and pulls in behind me and turns on his lights. So I was like here we go again

I pull over and the cop walks up and asks me to hand over the insurance and drivers license. I hand them over to him and he tells me my insurance is expired. I am puzzled.... as he hands me back my insurance. I look at the insurance card and the expiration say 4/17/11 and on Thursday it was 14th. I told him politely sir this is not expired. He snatches it and says let me see again.....then looks and says oh.....yeah I misread. Then he walks back to his car and sits there for quite some time and then walks up and tells me.

Here you have a citation for violation of your driver license restrictions. I said sir I do not have any restrictions on my license as far back as I can remember. He said no you do have a restriction "J". Which says you need some one 21 years or older with you at all time while driving.

I said what ....

Sir are pulling my leg. He said NO it says that on your license and hands it over to me. I look and sure as hell it says restriction "J" for both my class C & M licenses.

I tried explaining to the cop that sir I have been driving since age of 16 years old. If you can pull up my history I have no such restriction the DPS office might have made a mistake during my renewal. I have both M and C type class licenses. There must be some mistake....he did not care and asked me to sign the ticket.

As I was signing the ticket. I asked the officer sir do you mind me asking you a question for my own knowledge. He said go ahead....so I said sir was I speeding?
He said NO. Then I asked sir was I driving in suspicious manner?......He replied NO. So then I asked "sir may I ask why did you stop me when there was no probable cause."

He got really upset at me and said would you like me to write you another ticket for your front logo license plate. I smiled and said NO sir. He snatched his pen back from me and walked off.

Wow..... what was the reason for chasing some one out of his way for 3 blocks for no good probable reason. Did he really have nothing better to do then make a U-turn on an intersection and fly through traffic to just pull over and harass some one that was not causing any major issues. There are people being robbed, raped and murdered by the minute and our police is to busy chasing down people just because they are driving a nice car.

On top of this our DPS office people are some characters and made this mistake on my license. Now I have to waste a whole day at DPS office and another day at the county court.

Only good thing is that I would have never realized the mistake the DPS office made on my license. Oh god how I dread wasting multiple hours and taking off work to deal with this non-sense.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 04-16-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90-Bikes on bikes on bikes

You guys have some pain in the ass officers, i got pulled over this morning around 5am while i was on my way to a meet in boston. He said he pulled me over for doing 7 over, my registration and inspection was up last month, He asked where i was going, i responded i was going to boston. He then said he was heading down there too after shift change, gave me my stuff back and told me to have a nice day down there. Doesn't sound like you were being a dick to him either?? wonder whats up with that
      04-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

what a prick. Report his stupid ass.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

"JEALOUSY"!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

The worst thing is when I got home I was telling my mom over the phone what happened. She gave me a long lecture....."I told you not to put those wheels etc. and a license plate "BAD 3" that attracts negative attention. He must have thought you were some drug dealer."
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

How old are you?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
The worst thing is when I got home I was telling my mom over the phone what happened. She gave me a long lecture....."I told you not to put those wheels etc. and a license plate "BAD 3" that attracts negative attention. He must have thought you were some drug dealer."
Sounds like your mom gave you some good advice.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

always going for the easy target ane people who pay taxes, that's the cops...
      04-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

WTF is it with this probable cause BS? People should start following the law more, and stop watching so much Law and Order. If the J thing is true, then get a chapparone, don't give the officer a hard time for doing his job.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Lol I was going to blame your M6 wheels too. M6 wheels are great, but sad to say, they look no different from oversized chrome bling that *truly* suspicious cars drive. You're in Houston too, you should know this.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Should you have a J restriction? Do you know?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

When I get pulled over I secretly turn on my phone's video camera to record audio. You never know what the cops are going to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

|
|
|
|
V

Quote:
I tried explaining to the cop that sir I have been driving since age of 16 years old. If you can pull up my history I have no such restriction the DPS office might have made a mistake during my renewal. I have both M and C type class licenses. There must be some mistake....he did not care and asked me to sign the ticket.
      04-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
WTF is it with this probable cause BS? People should start following the law more, and stop watching so much Law and Order. If the J thing is true, then get a chapparone, don't give the officer a hard time for doing his job.
According to op he shouldn't have a j restriction... so please spare m and th rest of this forum. The cop was being an ass.

However op, if you don't have a front plate and live here in texas, that's p.c. for him to stop you.
      04-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
When I get pulled over I secretly turn on my phone's video camera to record audio. You never know what the cops are going to say.
Recording someone without their knowledge is a crime in most states I believe.
      04-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
That's why I asked him how old he was. TX seems to have lots of restrictions for underage drivers.

Here's what happened. The car drew the cop's attention and he ran your plates. He either saw you driving mommy's car or he saw the restriction on your license and saw nobody else in the car.

His "here we go again" clearly indicates that he has numerous experiences being pulled over.

Some people either drive cars that draw unwanted attention or drive in a manner that screams "pull me over.'
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
|
|
|
|
V
I read what the OP wrote. However, has he confirmed with SoS/DMV/whoever that this restriction isn't in fact justifiable in the system?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
my mom always says that too. lol. It is so funny when mom's lecture us about our modified cars. Cops sometimes have nothing better to do and jealousy is the main thing. Now go and take care of that restriction and off you go.
      04-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB M235i

That sucks man. Did you read the article on yahoo recently, that Houston has more speed traps than anyone?

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...t-speed-traps/

Sounds like they're just a bunch of assholes..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #20
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
According to op he shouldn't have a j restriction... so please spare m and th rest of this forum. The cop was being an ass.

However op, if you don't have a front plate and live here in texas, that's p.c. for him to stop you.
And according to the cop he has a "J" restriction.

Does he fall under any of these exemptions?

http://secure.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=T&app=9&p_dir=N&p_rloc=1434 63&p_tloc=&p_ploc=1&pg=17&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=15& rl=26

As far as I can tell, the "J" restriction applies to motorcycles only but since I'm not that familiar with TX law, I can't really make any definitive statements.

We don't know what happened and it doesn't seem like the OP is giving us the full story.

He needs to go to court. If the cop was wrong then he'll get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
That's why I asked him how old he was. TX seems to have lots of restrictions for underage drivers.

Here's what happened. The car drew the cop's attention and he ran your plates. He either saw you driving mommy's car or he saw the restriction on your license and saw nobody else in the car.

His "here we go again" clearly indicates that he has numerous experiences being pulled over.

Some people either drive cars that draw unwanted attention or drive in a manner that screams "pull me over.'
Some police officers will pull you over JUST for having a BMW, or a coupe, or for having anything aftermarket. I got pulled over a few weeks ago in Houston for not overtaking some idiot on a bicycle, aka going too slow and blocking him for 5 minutes. He let me go once he checked all my information, and made it seem like it was only because I'm alumni to the same college.

These things are often silly and not completely disciplined. We all need to stop jumping down people's throats when they share a story.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post

If the license has a J, and the OP feels it shouldn't, then get it fixed. Grow up, junior. Nothing gets done by just running home and telling mommy he ran into a bad cop tonight.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread