E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Gauge Placement Poll!

View Poll Results: Boost placement.
I like it! 59 60.82%
I don't like the location. 38 39.18%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

12-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #45
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I cut the left side that bolts on to the stand.
The gauge just slips into the pod pretty snug.
so whats holding the pod to the bracket? i've never seen one, thats why i'm asking, don't mean to be difficult.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #46
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

From the looks of it the bracket is just a rounded piece of metal, so it wraps around the thing.
      12-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #47
dkvby
☠☠☠☠☠
Rep
Drives: 07 Blk e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
mine looks like this too. Its the Prosport one, it came with the pod and some double tapes as well. oh, and when u turn on the headlight, its white color. if not, its amber color. u can switch that around when u hook up the power. also, it has a peak button, it show u the highest psi u hv hit.

Last edited by dkvby; 12-30-2007 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: add pics
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #48
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
From the looks of it the bracket is just a rounded piece of metal, so it wraps around the thing.
right, so if you cut the left one, whats holding it?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.

Last edited by 335iheLLraiseR; 12-30-2007 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #49
4cfd bmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Porsche 911 GT3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
A black line came with my VW steering wheel gauge pod.
It actually seemed not as hard as this white crap.
Here you go $12 http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Boos..._p_32-100.html they use it with their Stewart Warner gauges which I also used to have on my VW. The black tube/hose looks much better than the "hollow-weed-wacker tube" in the engine bay and it is much more pliable.
*SOLD* 2009 E92 335i M-Sport - Space Grey Metallic
*SOLD* 2011 Lexus IS-F
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #50
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I found this website and ordered the attached picture.
This should work perfectly.
http://www.newsouthperformance.com/fitting.htm

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #51
MrOffshore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will start by saying BMW failed terribly by not including a boost gauge in a car with this kind of performance, I didn't let it effect my decision to get it, but nonetheless it was a failure.

Second, I am not fond of your location, although it a personal decision, I think it looks slapped up there and I have never been a fan of anything permanently mounted to a dash...it just reminds me of the young rice-burner crowd throwing things on their dash so they look fast.

I think the only logical place is on the A-pillar. I know that there aren't any pods available aftermarket, but I can't help but think you could have one fabbed up pretty affordably. I live in an area full of fabricators and if I ever go this route will just hire the services...then offer them along with a gauge at an astronomical price until some competition brings my price down...oh, but I will give deals to e90post readers!!

I would think you might find an existing pod mount for the A-pillar that would enable you to modify it to fit the 3 Series A-pillar....has anyone considered this...even modifying it a bit and then having someone use it as a starting point to have one made in either fiberglass (carbon fiber) or vacuum molded plastic.

The ashtray location is stupid...hate to be so blunt, but it makes no sense. The vent location is stupid...all of these look like ridiculous add-on locations...again way to rice-burner looking for my tastes.

You could take your current white vacuum line and have it sprayed with some Krylon spraypaint...they make a special formula for plastic that works very well...unless it is some kind of teflon hose that won't let paint grab this might be your fastest fix...you could probably get flat black too...if not spray with the standard black gloss paint, let dry, lightly scuff and spray with a dull sheen clear coat.

As for cutting the bracket and modifying...it looks like you're taking a good part of the stability out of the mounting bracket by cutting off one of the legs...but it may still work, I am certain you've considered this. Over time I would think it would move around or jiggle out of the mount. You might want to try some 3M VHB tape (it's black) and once bonded, it isn't going anywhere.

Good luck with the project and +1 on your wife, she's a keeper, don't be culling her out of the livewell anytime soon!

Yea though I drive through the valley of inferior automobiles, I will fear no evil: for Thou BMW is with me; Thy throttle and Thy steering wheel comfort me. "Psalms 335:xi
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #52
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
ok so where can i order a guage and all the wirring to go with it?
      12-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #53
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOffshore View Post
I will start by saying BMW failed terribly by not including a boost gauge in a car with this kind of performance, I didn't let it effect my decision to get it, but nonetheless it was a failure.

Second, I am not fond of your location, although it a personal decision, I think it looks slapped up there and I have never been a fan of anything permanently mounted to a dash...it just reminds me of the young rice-burner crowd throwing things on their dash so they look fast.

I think the only logical place is on the A-pillar. I know that there aren't any pods available aftermarket, but I can't help but think you could have one fabbed up pretty affordably. I live in an area full of fabricators and if I ever go this route will just hire the services...then offer them along with a gauge at an astronomical price until some competition brings my price down...oh, but I will give deals to e90post readers!!

I would think you might find an existing pod mount for the A-pillar that would enable you to modify it to fit the 3 Series A-pillar....has anyone considered this...even modifying it a bit and then having someone use it as a starting point to have one made in either fiberglass (carbon fiber) or vacuum molded plastic.

The ashtray location is stupid...hate to be so blunt, but it makes no sense. The vent location is stupid...all of these look like ridiculous add-on locations...again way to rice-burner looking for my tastes.

You could take your current white vacuum line and have it sprayed with some Krylon spraypaint...they make a special formula for plastic that works very well...unless it is some kind of teflon hose that won't let paint grab this might be your fastest fix...you could probably get flat black too...if not spray with the standard black gloss paint, let dry, lightly scuff and spray with a dull sheen clear coat.

As for cutting the bracket and modifying...it looks like you're taking a good part of the stability out of the mounting bracket by cutting off one of the legs...but it may still work, I am certain you've considered this. Over time I would think it would move around or jiggle out of the mount. You might want to try some 3M VHB tape (it's black) and once bonded, it isn't going anywhere.

Good luck with the project and +1 on your wife, she's a keeper, don't be culling her out of the livewell anytime soon!
i think most of us ruled out the a-pillar because of the airbag, unless of course you don't mind 2 or 3 gauges encrusted in your skull at the time of the accident.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #54
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:

Isn't there a curtain air bag that pops out of the A-pillar on this car? That would be nice to have a flying boost gauge in the event of an accident. I think that's the reason why we haven't seen one yet.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #55
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Thanks for all of your input.
As you see above, I found a black line that will work just fine, so I'm covered with that. I wouldn't even imagine spray painting that white line since I believe that it's a little tacky. The paint would most likely not stick or chip very soon after.
Nothing is going to be permanently mounted. It will just be held with some double sided tape on the right. The wires and tubing should hold everything to the left.
I really wish that something was out there for the steering wheel pod or a vent but there's nothing out there yet.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #56
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
FYI,
I just talked to a guy at Newsouth to make sure that the tubing that I get is only the black (just in case they decided to send me white). He was saying that all of the tubing that they use is black. They went with this tubing because it's much more flexible than the white weed wacker stuff.
Now I just need to sit back and wait until I get it.

Quote:
I found this website and ordered the attached picture.
This should work perfectly.
http://www.newsouthperformance.com/fitting.htm

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #57
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI,
I just talked to a guy at Newsouth to make sure that the tubing that I get is only the black (just in case they decided to send me white). He was saying that all of the tubing that they use is black. They went with this tubing because it's much more flexible than the white weed wacker stuff.
Now I just need to sit back and wait until I get it.
I will order from there as well...
      01-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #58
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

I want to see this created

I'm going to throw my hand at it, and it will kill your defrost vent, but it would be hott.
      01-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #59
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
i think most of us ruled out the a-pillar because of the airbag, unless of course you don't mind 2 or 3 gauges encrusted in your skull at the time of the accident.
+1

That guy is a LOSER!!! He thinks he knows what's rice, his idea is rice.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #60
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

That's where I'd put a boost gauge too!
      01-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #61
BoLaS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
right, so if you cut the left one, whats holding it?
+1

Mr. 5 thats exactly where I was gonna put one as well, I love the location and it can be reverted back to stock very easily, Since your awaiting ur black line, could u please be so kind, as I know you already are , and create a nice DIY for ur fellow enthusiasts?
      01-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #62
BoLaS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

who else is up For Mr. 5 being the most influential member of the year!?

01-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #63
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

hey Mr 5. ...I think i had the same boost gauge installed in the same spot. Mines a defi gauge...but i have a pod that also has a cover like a hat shade. And the mount i put double sided tape. Its mounted behind the vent like yours I used the round pod that gps's come with and taped my pod too that. the controller i mounted to under the light switch. double sided tape again. This gauge looks awesome. ill try take pics soon...but my crs getting kwv3 installed. lata
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #64
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I'm going to play around with making a pod from fiberglass.
I have no idea with what I'm doing but I'll keep you guys informed.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #65
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
keep us posted!!
      01-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #66
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's not hard, I just made one. The hard part is getting it symmetrical if thats what you want and getting it to slope and curve consistently. I'm going to sort of make an impression of the area today and get started on another one like in that pic.