E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > M3 CSL - Few random thoughts

09-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #23
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikoV View Post
A nice touch done to a CSL was that of a friend of mines...Steve Gill, some of you may know him too. He had his car full resprayed in white by BMW. Races for Team Schrimer now

It was through my local dealership in kirkcaldy mate where he had it sprayed! I still have photos of it outside the dealers on an old phone. My thoughts were "fuck me, a white csl, decked with the carbon roof!!!!" Very tidy car. Its been thrashed to within an inch of its life since!!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #24
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

When I was at Car Planet Racing in Warrington a few weeks back they had 3 GTRs on their ramps all with the gearboxes out.

They showed me the inside of the gearboxes and how they break...it's crazy that they break so easily even with the car lightly tuned. CPR do an upgrade with stronger intervals to avoid this happening but i guess you'd only do that if you had a modded GTR.

Carl...please expand, were all in the edge of our seats!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #25
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
When I was at Car Planet Racing in Warrington a few weeks back they had 3 GTRs on their ramps all with the gearboxes out.

They showed me the inside of the gearboxes and how they break...it's crazy that they break so easily even with the car lightly tuned. CPR do an upgrade with stronger intervals to avoid this happening but i guess you'd only do that if you had a modded GTR.
Yeh it's something called the Circlip which breaks

Although saying that plenty of modded cars haven't had it done and no issues to date.

Not an issue for me as i only recently got a Cobb Accessport and it's still in the box.

For modded cars:

One line of thought is upgrade the part before it breaks. Which makes sense to me. But then you take the risk of you having another gearbox issue not being covered. But then i don't launch the car and am quick mechanically sympathetic. So i'd be more likely to follow the line of thought that you don't touch the gearbox as it's a known fault and Nissan will pay out on it regardless.

Saying that i always remind myself that there are tons of guys not on the forums very happily driving there cars like they stole it!

And Fandango? Spill the beans?!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #26
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Helen, it's only because it's such a capable car that the majority of us put up with the downsides.

The oem brakes are great, but have issues, so most people who track have replaced them. It is a heavy car so not unexpected. I have stock brakes and no issues.

I guess the downside for you would be that you wouldn't have the fun you have in other cars. You go much faster, but without the drama. Maybe a case of too good?

I guess the CSL will be one of those cars that lives on in legend. I've had a quick look and lots of low mileage cars about in great condition. I've even heard of 2 CSL's that have no mileage on the clock that live in Ireland, that were bought for someone's sons to use when they turned 18. But they never used them so they live indoors having never been driven!
Not sure if we're at cross purposes here. My point was the bloke who now has the GTR and previously owned a 997 Turbo can't choose between the two cars overall, so testament to Nissan etc.

As for any 'downsides' I would argue that the car is probably perfectly ok for driving on our roads but it seems when it comes to balls out track work then perhaps the difference in cost between the GTR and the Porsche comes to the fore.

Can see what you're getting at re. lack of 'drama' and I'm in no doubts I would not have found the limits of the 997 Turbo on the road but it was still a very involving, exciting, exhilarating and rewarding car to drive and I would imagine the GTR is the same.............won't know until someone lets me drive one.

Streuth how much are those CSL's in Ireland going to be worth!

Last edited by beemerbird; 09-04-2010 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Grammatical balls up!
Appreciate 0