E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Mass HD stations in southern NH, weird problem..

12-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Mass HD stations in southern NH, weird problem..

Posted this in the radio subforum, but also wanted to post it here in case southern NH drivers can let me know if they see the same thing. Mine is a 2010 335xi, with HD radio.

Hi,

Until ~ 2 weeks ago, HD channels from Boston were fine while driving in southern NH. When the "HD" portion of the signal was lost, there was always a seamless transition (accompanied by the traditional change in volume/surround/etc) to non HD. There would be no gap in sound/talk. I considered that to be the normal behavior.

Until 2 weeks ago.

Now when I lose the "HD" portion of signals out of Boston, there is complete silence, until the HD portion is regained.

I can tune to non HD channels fine. And there is a different station out of Manchester that works 'correctly' when it transitions in and out of HD, which makes me think it's not my car. But who knows.

I'm second guessing myself and still wondering if it might have something to do with the car, as approximately as the same time this happened, we had a nasty ice storm with trees hanging low over all the roads, and a couple of low hanging branches gently bumped up against the shark fin. Very slowly/gently, not even enough to put a scratch on the car, but who knows....

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I have noticed this with WAAF only. AM stations have not given me this issue.
The HD reception goes away for seconds at a time. I just disabled HD to get reception back.
Makes sense that the last snow storm cause issues with the transmitter stations.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
Posted this in the radio subforum, but also wanted to post it here in case southern NH drivers can let me know if they see the same thing. Mine is a 2010 335xi, with HD radio.

Hi,

Until ~ 2 weeks ago, HD channels from Boston were fine while driving in southern NH. When the "HD" portion of the signal was lost, there was always a seamless transition (accompanied by the traditional change in volume/surround/etc) to non HD. There would be no gap in sound/talk. I considered that to be the normal behavior.

Until 2 weeks ago.

Now when I lose the "HD" portion of signals out of Boston, there is complete silence, until the HD portion is regained.

I can tune to non HD channels fine. And there is a different station out of Manchester that works 'correctly' when it transitions in and out of HD, which makes me think it's not my car. But who knows.

I'm second guessing myself and still wondering if it might have something to do with the car, as approximately as the same time this happened, we had a nasty ice storm with trees hanging low over all the roads, and a couple of low hanging branches gently bumped up against the shark fin. Very slowly/gently, not even enough to put a scratch on the car, but who knows....

Suggestions?
Actually you're not the only one. My buddy had the same problem with other stations in his 2009 335i. He's just stuck to now keeping HD off because it's very sporadic in SNH.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
jor2cool4u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 2 feet

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 M240i xDrive  [0.00]
I have this exact problem in my 09 335xi...some parts of 495 as I am going to work 94.5 will be in HD mode and then go silent for some time...so annoying! how can you turn off the HD radio? Can you do it per station? or does it have to be off completely?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
jor2cool4u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
also, must be a bmw thing because i had a 2014 loaner a couple months back and experienced the SAME thing with the SAME station
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor2cool4u
I have this exact problem in my 09 335xi...some parts of 495 as I am going to work 94.5 will be in HD mode and then go silent for some time...so annoying! how can you turn off the HD radio? Can you do it per station? or does it have to be off completely?
You can turn off HD completely by using the options button on iDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Thanks for the replies and sorry for getting back to this thread so late! The problem WAS with the radio station antenna that services WAAF (and others in Boston). Just went through an upgrade and they needed to tweak a bunch of time offsets between HD and non HD that help it switch interchangeably between the two.

The part that drives me batty is that this went on for at least a week or so, and everyone (at least up here) must have been having that problem when we would get out of HD range. Nobody called them to tell them about it until I did. They didn't know.

They fixed it promptly and called me the next day to ask if it was working. Sure enough, worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
jor2cool4u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmadown115 View Post
You can turn off HD completely by using the options button on iDrive
When I press the "options" button, I don't see the option to turn off HD. It just gives me a list of the stations available for 94.5....weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
Thanks for the replies and sorry for getting back to this thread so late! The problem WAS with the radio station antenna that services WAAF (and others in Boston). Just went through an upgrade and they needed to tweak a bunch of time offsets between HD and non HD that help it switch interchangeably between the two.

The part that drives me batty is that this went on for at least a week or so, and everyone (at least up here) must have been having that problem when we would get out of HD range. Nobody called them to tell them about it until I did. They didn't know.

They fixed it promptly and called me the next day to ask if it was working. Sure enough, worked fine.
Wow good stuff! I guess I have to give 94.5 a call about this as well!
Appreciate 0