E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMW to answer questions regarding price difference between Canadian and U.S tomorrow

10-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #23
Chiggy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E70 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChaser View Post
i find this rebate really strange.

- it's not on bmw.ca
- they didn't put any ads on mag/news(at least i didn't see any)
- and seems like the SA's don't even know about it.... so there are a lot
of mystries around it.
Yeah I just tried calling BMW canada who directed me to my dealer. You would think they know since they would be the ones communicating it to the dealer. Dude on the phone sounded like I was talking about classified $hit or something. Anyways I sent an email off to the dealer. I'll pass on the info when they respond.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #24
NeoChaser
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328, E70 35d

same here, i emailed him last night. i'll updated u guys when i get a response.

E92 328 AW / Coral / ZPP / ZSP / CA / Paddle

E70 X5d LCI DSB / Cinnamon / ZNA / ZJK / ZJL / ZUD / ZFT / ZUE
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #25
AndreTheGeek
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Alpine White

That guy wasn't a very good spin-doctor.

That was the biggest pile of BS I've heard in a long time. If you configure an X5 with the exact same options, you will save $13K to $15K on the US model.

We shuold all start calling our lawyers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #26
gerapau
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
That guy wasn't a very good spin-doctor.

That was the biggest pile of BS I've heard in a long time. If you configure an X5 with the exact same options, you will save $13K to $15K on the US model.

We shuold all start calling our lawyers.
Yep, he wasn't compairing pricing between a US BMW and a Canadian BMW. He was compairing a Canadian BMW to a US BMW imported into Canada. It's not the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #27
Chiggy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E70 4.8

So the GM at my dealer wrote the following:

"This sales program is for vehicles which are delivered from October 18th onwards only.

The sales program will also be revised at the beginning of the month, it may get better or worse on some models depending on demand and inventory levels."

Oh well. Congrats to all those who get the rebate!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #28
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojungoon View Post
His answers were completly useless...
He just try's to work around the question while still convincing us to buy BMW's from Canada
you know why he can't answer the questions directly and have to work around them? it's because he (nor anyone else for that matter) can logically justify the current situation, and that's why they have to resort to lame reasons like it's costly to turn on day time running lights and substantially lower resale value or whatever.... it's just lame....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #29
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (US)

His response to my question was lame. $500 a "great value" because you get a carfax report and dealer inspection? The Carfax report I already did cost me $14.99, and I'm quite certain I'm not getting anything more than a general eyeballing of the car for the "inspection".

Can any of you confirm if dealers are taking a hard stand on forcing us to pay this $500 prior to getting service done on the vehicle? I did end up getting my seller's BMW Dealer in NY state to issue me a letter, so that will (I believe) satisfy the RIV requirement...but I'm suspecting I'll get hit with it when I book my first service appointment to get any warranty work done.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #30
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Oh - and for the record folks - as someone who just went through this entire process (almost, just need to get the car licensed now), there is an ENORMOUS amount of savings in purchasing your car in the US right now (I'm between $15-20K). His talk about resale value of a US car is going to be moot, as in 4-5 years, there will be a huge swell of US cars up here anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #31
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

How do you spin a lie? I haven't seen anyone do it well...
      10-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #32
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmba View Post
Oh - and for the record folks - as someone who just went through this entire process (almost, just need to get the car licensed now), there is an ENORMOUS amount of savings in purchasing your car in the US right now (I'm between $15-20K). His talk about resale value of a US car is going to be moot, as in 4-5 years, there will be a huge swell of US cars up here anyway.
+1. I would have no problem whatsoever buying a used BMW in Canada that happened to have been imported from the US. Lindsay implies that it's tantamount to buying fake Prada bags in Indonesia.
      10-28-2007, 01:06 AM   #33
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

hey electricmba, did u buy new or used?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:26 AM   #34
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggy View Post
Yeah I just tried calling BMW canada who directed me to my dealer. You would think they know since they would be the ones communicating it to the dealer. Dude on the phone sounded like I was talking about classified $hit or something. Anyways I sent an email off to the dealer. I'll pass on the info when they respond.

The letter went something like this. Better act fast though, the "credit" is only till November 30th. I'd love to see the chart which defines and determines this though, you'd think a 335i would have a higher credit than a 328.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX

What we are doing about currency fluctuations.

We would like to be the first to inform you of a special announcement regarding the currency disparity with the United States.

We recognize that selecting a new vehicle can be an exciting yet timely process. You may have delayed your purchasing process because you would like to see what strategy BMW Canada will make in response to the strong Canadian Dollar. BMW Canada recognizes that currency fluctuations are a hot topic and decided to take action.

The following list outlines the changes that are currently in effect as of October 17, 2007.

1. Enhanced lease/loan rate support.
a) All 2007 models rates range from 2.9% - 4.9%
b) All 2008 models rates range from 4.9% - 6.9%
c) The lease/loan rates are subject to change December 31, 2007.
2. Alternate Delivery Credit

This credit pertains to those who decide to do a cash purchase. Depending on which 2007 or 2008 model you select, you could receive $1500 to $25,000. The alternate delivery credits have been carefully calculated to address currency concerns for cash buyers. The alternative delivery credit is only valid until November 30, 2007

3. Enhanced 60-month financing

With the same rates as 24 - 48 month term this is a significant enhancement for non-lease purchasers looking for attainable payment terms.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #35
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
This is posted in the BMW Canada website explaining why we should buy Canadian spec rather than getting it through the US:

here
      10-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #36
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
(TYREWT i stole your letter as evidence haha)

What do you guys think of this letter to my CA? It's a rough draft, so please add some ideas to it if it's missing something. thanks:

Hi Franciso,

On October 17th a story broke out on the Globe and Mail regarding a discount for customers who pay cash for their new BMW's in Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business

I've been writing and calling BMW Canada to get the official word about this, but they have instructed me to contact my dealership for more information. I realize that I am part of this small group of people who qualify for the discount since I bought a new 2008 car and paid in full. I've tried to get more information from Elite BMW on a few occasions, but the sales consultants I've spoken to either don't know what I'm talking about, or are misinformed about it.

I frequent BMW Canada forums online and was shocked to see that the discount has already taken effect at dealerships all over Canada; even Otto's BMW here in Ottawa and BMW Laval are honouring the rebate. I am in contact with the BMW owners who have purchased new 2008 cars in Canada and received their rebate. One owner has even received a letter showing that the rebate has a fixed deadline of November 30th 2007:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX

What we are doing about currency fluctuations.

We would like to be the first to inform you of a special announcement regarding the currency disparity with the United States.

We recognize that selecting a new vehicle can be an exciting yet timely process. You may have delayed your purchasing process because you would like to see what strategy BMW Canada will make in response to the strong Canadian Dollar. BMW Canada recognizes that currency fluctuations are a hot topic and decided to take action.

The following list outlines the changes that are currently in effect as of October 17, 2007.

1. Enhanced lease/loan rate support.
a) All 2007 models rates range from 2.9% - 4.9%
b) All 2008 models rates range from 4.9% - 6.9%
c) The lease/loan rates are subject to change December 31, 2007.
2. Alternate Delivery Credit

This credit pertains to those who decide to do a cash purchase. Depending on which 2007 or 2008 model you select, you could receive $1500 to $25,000. The alternate delivery credits have been carefully calculated to address currency concerns for cash buyers. The alternative delivery credit is only valid until November 30, 2007

3. Enhanced 60-month financing

With the same rates as 24 - 48 month term this is a significant enhancement for non-lease purchasers looking for attainable payment terms.

---------

Therefore my question is: What is Elite BMW doing for me?

My Name
address
phone
      10-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #37
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifufu View Post
hey electricmba, did u buy new or used?
Hi - I suppose I should have posted in an "introduce yourself" thread first, I just got caught up in this US / Canada discussion as I'm rather passionate about this topic at the moment!

I just bought a 2007 335i Coupe - used, from a great guy in White Plains, NY. The car only has 3400 miles on it, so I suppose you could consider it a "demo" in terms of valuation. The funny thing is that any dealer you visit here in the GTA sells demos for list price, so go figure.

Anyway - she's an absolute beauty: Montego Blue w/ Grey Montana Leather, Sport Package, Premium Package, Nav Package, Cold Weather Package, Tire and Rim Warranty and front Aero Spoiler. Come to think of it, I"ll post pics of her in another intro thread so you guys can see. Just need to get some light smoke tint on her, and she's ready!

Anyhow - I priced out this car and option package on the BMW website when you could still configure 2007's, and here's where it ended up:

This price doesn't include the Cold Weather Package ($???), front spoiler ($800 USD painted/installed) and extra Tire & Rim Warranty ($1000). I still need to calcuate the misc. import fees, duty, etc., but to put it in perspective, I bought the car for $44,500 USD, which thanks to the recent shift in the Canadian Dollar, ended up costing me $42,900 when I sent the wire on Friday.

I only wish I could have given Lindsay these figures to chew on, and got his feedback.

So guys - take $45K or so in Canadian Dollars, and try looking around for what you can buy here with that...!

Last edited by electricmba; 10-28-2007 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Picture Missing
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #38
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
+1. I would have no problem whatsoever buying a used BMW in Canada that happened to have been imported from the US. Lindsay implies that it's tantamount to buying fake Prada bags in Indonesia.
Hey aspiring, to add to this also - when you consider you can adjust the metric/standard setting on most of these cars (you can on mine anyway in the iDrive menu), it shows the odometer in KMs, temperature in Celcius, etc. The only difference between my car and a Canadian one is the speedometer, which has MPH on the outer ring, and a nice clear KMPH on the inner ring.

Hell, even the Nav system flips over to KMs, and covers all of Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #39
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmba View Post
Hi - I suppose I should have posted in an "introduce yourself" thread first, I just got caught up in this US / Canada discussion as I'm rather passionate about this topic at the moment!

I just bought a 2007 335i Coupe - used, from a great guy in White Plains, NY. The car only has 3400 miles on it, so I suppose you could consider it a "demo" in terms of valuation. The funny thing is that any dealer you visit here in the GTA sells demos for list price, so go figure.

Anyway - she's an absolute beauty: Montego Blue w/ Grey Montana Leather, Sport Package, Premium Package, Nav Package, Cold Weather Package, Tire and Rim Warranty and front Aero Spoiler. Come to think of it, I"ll post pics of her in another intro thread so you guys can see. Just need to get some light smoke tint on her, and she's ready!

Anyhow - I priced out this car and option package on the BMW website when you could still configure 2007's, and here's where it ended up:

This price doesn't include the Cold Weather Package ($???), front spoiler ($800 USD painted/installed) and extra Tire & Rim Warranty ($1000). I still need to calcuate the misc. import fees, duty, etc., but to put it in perspective, I bought the car for $44,500 USD, which thanks to the recent shift in the Canadian Dollar, ended up costing me $42,900 when I sent the wire on Friday.

I only wish I could have given Lindsay these figures to chew on, and got his feedback.

So guys - take $45K or so in Canadian Dollars, and try looking around for what you can buy here with that...!
did you use some company to import the vehicle ? or you did it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #40
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
did you use some company to import the vehicle ? or you did it yourself?
Did it myself. I'd recommend getting the $10 guide at this website to make the process simple:
http://www.ucanimport.com/

It really isn't that complicated - read through the info this guy has compiled. As soon as you are sure the car is ok to be imported into Canada (which nearly all BMWs are, unless you want to bring in an 850 or a mid-90's M3), then it is just some paperwork and steps to follow.

I actually have enjoyed it so far - been fun working it out. I flew to White Plains, NY on my Aeroplan points Friday morning to pick up the car, and drove it back.

I'm happy to answer anyone's questions on the process if you're looking at doing this. It is pretty straight forward, despite what BMW Canada might have you believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #41
islandbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 SG

Well I just picked up my 07 335i Space gray 6MT poplar wood sports heated leather seats, logic 7 I bought it from a guy on this site that babied it only 1700 miles it smells and looks brand new. My total cost with duties all taxes pst gst inspection fees delivery under $48000 I have an 08 on order space gray with sports package ubs Pdc and auto non leater the total after BMW rebate of 1500$ is $69K I saved 21K and the car is what I would consider a premium demo one owner well cared for not a dealer driven hard demo. This is a real example of the spread and I did the wire when the C$ was only 1.02
Appreciate 0