E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Christmas Dinner Ideas

11-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Christmas Dinner Ideas

Ok, I know its only just November but I like to plan ahead.

Me and my wife are cooking Christmas Dinner again this year and I am looking for some new ideas.

I'm not the best chef in the world but like to experiment. I should point out that potentially I could be cooking for 12 people so the dishes need to be quick and simple.

For appetisers I am doing some simple crackers with cream cheese and a selection of toppings such as smoked salmon, caviar, prawns etc.

The main course is obviously a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings

Dessert I am making individual manderin cheesecakes with a belgian chocolate sauce with cocoa dusting.

With cheeses and biscuits/crackers afterwards.

The only thing I am stuck on is the entrée. I had in mind a sweet chilli potato mash with wholetail king prawns on top with steamed baby carrots and sweet chili dressing but I am worried this might look a bit plain and boring.

Does anyone have any ideas for the entrée? I would like to prawns if possible but don't want to do the usual prawn cocktail.

Cheers in advance guys and girls.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

How good are your chef skills ??!! I can give you a ton of ideas but some recipes will be more convoluted than others. The key thing is not to spend all the time in the kitchen, and no time with your guests.

The turkey dinner takes care of itself, and does not require much involvement during the cooking process. The same should be of your starters - if you are cooking for twelve, the last thing you really want to do is plate up 12 portions of piping hot food, because by the time you've done the last plate, the first plate will be cold (assuming you don't have commercial kitchen facilities!)

So what I suggest is that the entree is something preprepared, in that you can plate up 12 starters in advance, and then spend only a minute or two finishing them with a final flourish before serving.

For instance - how about a terrine of wild salmon and crab, on a watercress and green bean salad, finished with a light prawn veloute (sauce) ??

It's really easy to do, tastes great, and looks fantastic. The terrine you can make up two days in advance, and keep in the fridge. The salad takes seconds. The prawn veloute can be made the day before as well and kept in the fridge. Just before your guests arrive, you plate up the small salads and leave to the side. When it's time to eat, you put the sauce on the heat to get warm - in the meantime you plate the terrine on the salad, and two minutes later your sauce is ready and you serve.

As I said, I can send you recipes galore, but I don't know your tastes in food... give me more idea of what you like, and how good you are in the kitchen, and I'll send suitable things over...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Sounds good Tony

I like my king prawns in garlic, olive oil, black pepper, salt and mixed italian herbs roasted in the oven for 10 mins served with hot buttered ciabatta. Dead simple to make and very tasty.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Sounds like Tony's plating up for twelve so who's in ???
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

funny you should say that because over Christmas I'm flying to hong kong to cook a Christmas party for 20 people
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Sod that! Come and cook my Christmas dinner for me Tony!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
How good are your chef skills ??!!

Erm...not very good at all.

I was aiming for something pretty basic along the lines of the chili mash with prawns i mentioned.

As lovely as your idea sounds, it sounds a bit too complicated for me, especially with the added stress of xmas.

I might just say balls to it and get a bargain bucket from KFC

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Mac d?
      11-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Mac d?
I prefer the fries at KFC.

Plus I could pretend the chicken is turkey. Nobody would ever know!

Appreciate 0