E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alarm and Sub Question

02-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Gooby
Mr. Euro
Rep
Drives: M3

Alarm and Sub Question

I'm looking to upgrade my bass output but I don't want to change my radio or stock speakers.. I mean maybe eventually. What kind of sub or box do you guys think would be good for that? I don't want anything that is going to make my whole trunk rattle and loosen my whole rear with crazy vibration. Also is the BMW Alarm worth getting as you all know our cars only come with keyless entry? Anybody have a different kind of alarm?

Thanks
Chris
      02-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Viper has released a CAN-enabled alarm that is far lower cost than the BMW alarm and does not require programming. Controlled 100% off of the BMW fob - either regular KE or Comfort Access.

It's under their CAN OEM line and I think the PN is 3901V. Has the Double Guard shock sensor and takes 4 or 5 wires to install. Thinking about getting one. Who's the Viper dealer in your area?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
amdave
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe: AW/CR/Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my bass output but I don't want to change my radio or stock speakers.. I mean maybe eventually. What kind of sub or box do you guys think would be good for that? I don't want anything that is going to make my whole trunk rattle and loosen my whole rear with crazy vibration. Also is the BMW Alarm worth getting as you all know our cars only come with keyless entry? Anybody have a different kind of alarm?

Thanks
Chris
I'm partial to JL Audio. I presume since you're driving an '06 that's been... modified, you own this ride. In that case, you definitely need custom box. Depending on your trunk space needs and preferences, the nooks behind the rear wheels in the trunk make for good places for custom boxes (a fiberglass/bondo nightmare though). I've been impressed with some of the forward-firing setups that I've heard. Seems like BMW has some decent sound-proofing on their cabin, so it pays to fire the sub through the ski-port. You can customize that to just be a false wall in your trunk, but it'll take up more than it's fair share of space. Since the car is yours, though, don't just buy a box and throw it in the back - that's only acceptable if you're leasing, in my opinion. And since your model is a couple of years old, I'm sure there's a custom box already out there for it. Actually, JL Audio has a stealthbox for '06 coupes, but they only fit up to the '05 sedans. I don't know which one you have.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...4&model_id=140

Good luck.
      02-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Gooby
Mr. Euro
Rep
Drives: M3

yea the car is mine and its a 4 door. I looked on the JL site and they dont make anything for my model. Yea the trunk looks good for a custome setup. I just gotta look around for something..

Thanks for the suggestions
Chris