E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Winter tyre experiences??

01-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Winter tyre experiences??

For the first time ever I went out and bought some winter tyres (Falkens) for my car this winter...the tyres went on the car half way through December when temp looked like they were starting to drop, having now done a few hundred miles in them I have to say I'm not getting on at all well with them.

The car feels nervous at M speeds, and the grip (or lack off) is starting to annoy me now, the TC light comes on at the slightest poke of the throttle (reminds of me what the car was like before I had a LSD fitted). Add on the fact for the last week temp around where I live have not dropped below 5 I'm considering putting my recently acquired summer wheels on....but than I'm worried its going to start snowing as soon as I take them off .

I'm I just expecting too much of the tyres?? I was running Michelin PilotSports run flats previously but they were pretty much worn to the legal limit, I thought a brand new mid range winter tyre with plenty of tread would be at least as good as a top brand worn summer tyre on cold damp roads, but it appears not.

For those who run winter tyres regularly, when do you switch back to summer tyres??
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

I've had mine on for about a month now as the temperatures had dropped significantly and I was getting my summers refurbed.
The weather has changed so much now,that I will probably change back to my summers to scrub the new rear tyres in.
Because of the softer compounds used in cold weather tyres,you can't really compare them with summers-they do different jobs,so you have to drive and make allowances, accordingly.
Last year,I didn't bother changing from summers and just drove to the conditions, that weren't that bad.
If the weather is like it is where I am-11 degrees and damp-I would thing about changing back,if you want to hoon about-its only a quick job to change back when the temperatures really drop.
It's when the snow comes,that you'll be glad you changed over!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Robin330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

I have Falken winters on at the moment (439's) and I am not massively impressed with the grip levels and handling as my tc comes into action very often.

Mine will be coming off end of feb time depending on what the weather is doing.
      01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
For the first time ever I went out and bought some winter tyres (Falkens) for my car this winter...the tyres went on the car half way through December when temp looked like they were starting to drop, having now done a few hundred miles in them I have to say I'm not getting on at all well with them.

The car feels nervous at M speeds, and the grip (or lack off) is starting to annoy me now, the TC light comes on at the slightest poke of the throttle (reminds of me what the car was like before I had a LSD fitted). Add on the fact for the last week temp around where I live have not dropped below 5 I'm considering putting my recently acquired summer wheels on....but than I'm worried its going to start snowing as soon as I take them off .

I'm I just expecting too much of the tyres?? I was running Michelin PilotSports run flats previously but they were pretty much worn to the legal limit, I thought a brand new mid range winter tyre with plenty of tread would be at least as good as a top brand worn summer tyre on cold damp roads, but it appears not.

For those who run winter tyres regularly, when do you switch back to summer tyres??

If you've only done a few hundred miles on the tyres they won't have scrubbed in properly,I always found Falkens (452's) needed at least 1k on them before they found any grip,so perhaps the winter tyres are the same

You could also play around with the tyre pressures,what are you running at the moment?
If you're running the same pressures as on the door card (runflats),they'll be too hard,and won't offer too much in the way of grip,even more so with such low miles on them.

It might be mild at the moment (it's tropical down here ),but it could always turn,I'd hate to see those lovely wheels mullered

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I've got some Hankook winters and I feel just the same as you. It feels nervous from 50mph upwards..

You can forget using full throttle in the first 5 gears as the traction control just cuts the power back. Mines standard too!

Can't wait to get the things off.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

I've run winters for a few years and find some brands just aren't up to it.

Best brand so far are Nokian. All winters def need several 100 miles to get bonding agents out before they really grip at all though. Nokians were lethal for 500miles!

I changed early Nov as my goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2's were not coping and like you I have the Quaife!

Nokians even on 235's are giving me more throttle before letting go in the wet than the 255 summer goodyears were. On roads treated recently with grit I don't think any tyre really grips as unless it gets washed clean off then they become really greasy!

Worth getting the alignment checked too as any toe out on the rear and you will be sideways on any tyre in this weather!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My guess is that it is simply too warm for them. In the east of England/London the temperatures are going to be about 10-12c for the next week or so with no frosts at night predicted for the next 10days.

Switch back and wait for it to get to early Feb when the cold weather may well come that warrant winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

OFF topic here O.P, but how are you finding the LSD?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I'm running a Conti TS810 winter setup on my 320d and had no problems at all. I haven't exactly been hooning around but it goes round corners on rails & solid as a rock on the motorway at speed, maybe it's just the extra power of the big engine that shows up the shortcomings. Like everyone else, I'm very much in a dilemma whether to put the summers back on but it will definitely snow if I do
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I was perfectly happy driving at 110 all the way to and fro Sheffield last week: Motorway speeds weren't the issue. The steering feels lighter thna usual but this is just due to the lighter alloys in my opnion, much lower unsprung weight. Wouldn't be true if you'd bought 19 winters of course but mine are little 17s.

However the lack of traction is marked. This is down to the conditions. It's FAR too warm for these tyres unfortunately at the moment, simply put there's been no justification for winters so far this season at all.

The last 3 years when we've had proper cold snaps (although not as extreme last year), it's been a totally different expreience.

At 3 degrees and below they work wonders. And if there's any ice on the road the car plain won't work on summers, and will at the very least drive as it is for you guys right now on the winters, remember that.

But - yeah.

Hoever I'm not sure about the first 5 gears as Phil said above? In mine I notice 4 things:

1. Understeer like a bastard on roundabouts at any kind of speed. Best way to avoid this being introduce some power to induce oversteer
2. Passengers don't like point 1
3. Quite easy to introduce very nice progressive drifts out of corners
4. I love point 3!

Rgds
Dave
      01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

I've got Hankook ice bears on mine. When it was cold the difference was amazing. Now its milder they cope ok as long as you don't push it too hard. 3rd lane motorway speed is fine as well.

My winters are 17s which help protect the car when you hit that pothole on a dark wet night!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

ps. By 110 I did of course mean 70. Boy do I like to exaggerate...
      01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

110kph?!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
warriorboy
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Boy do I like to exaggerate... [/i]
I've told you about that a million times....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

What I did notice, on the few occasions when the temperature went below zero everyone else on the road seemed to be driving around like it was Alaska whereas the Contis didn't feel any different & I could drive around normally. Maybe it was just everyone being very cautious in slippy conditions but I certainly didn't feel anything
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy View Post
I've told you about that a million times....
Is that Screech? lol. memories.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
BarrySt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Yep, same thing on Bridgestone Blizzak runflat winters - little traction, yellow traction light flashing at slightest provocation.

Just expect they will prove their worth in snow or freezing conditions
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
dufctubs
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

Yes, had the yellow light on last week and its only a 318d ;- ), so going to whip my winters off for a week cause my car looks shite with the winters on anyway , so a great excuse !!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

I wrote almost the exact same post this time last year. The conclusion I came to was that it simply hadn't been wintry enough.

The one day we had snow, I made it to work with no issues, passing abandoned cars the whole way, so maybe they do do something. This year, I'm still on my summer tyres - I'm not changing until there is either snow or a very hard freeze forecast.
      01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Conti 830

Used Conti 830 on 3 different BMWs (E53 & E70 X5 and E90 330D). Never had a problem with traction or grip. Slightly less precise turn in and more side wall flex due to higher profile but no feelings of insecurity at M-way speeds or well beyond on German autobahns. Would far rather lean on the Winter Contis than summer rubber at this time of year when roads are cold and damp.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I've got Vredestein wintrac extremes on for the 4th winter now. (same set, barely worn).

They feel a bit softer than the Falken 452 summers, but no more TC light in normal use, no stability issues at speed.

Beauty of them is the progressiveness of slides in wet / greasy conditions and they perform straight away off the drive from cold. No worries about will it / won't it, it always will, in a consistent manner, maybe less ultimate grip than a summer in these warm temps, but so predictable whatever the weather.

OP - you came off granite PS2 RFT to winters, that is some step change IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

seemingly having winters on at the moment is abit silly. But, with the state of the potholes about at this time of year (is it just me, but theres loads now) im still glad i've got my 17's on as my 19's would be hurting right now!!

I concur with Mega's description of winter tyre usage
Appreciate 0