E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Let down again

08-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

Let down again

Why can't bodyshops do a good job these days. Had loads of trouble with one last year via insurance when my TT got bashed into.

Recently though my current car was hit by something in a car park and so not bothering with insurance cause there was no note, I just paid out £800 odd to Benham to sort it.

Car looked good at the dealers as I only checked the one side where the damage was, get home and sure enough I notice the left hand rear light cluster is sticking out more than it should.

Not exactly the high BMW standard you'd expect considering the first thing they gave me was a certificate stating this high standard.

Fecking pi55 poor IMAO!

Only thing that is prestige about 'prestige cars' if their image, everything else appears to be about as good as your local Kia dealer these days.

Last edited by Tippo; 08-03-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Regarding Kia's, you get a 7 year warranty too...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Sorry to hear of your woes.

Regarding Kia's, you get a 7 year warranty too...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My neighbour actually owns the reasonably priced car btw, same colour and alloys.

Last edited by Tippo; 08-03-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
N00dle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
Yes I feel your pain.

When the Dealer did an accident repair on my car they:

a) Left the Battery Flat, so had to set the time and date on my Idrive and pair up my Blackberry again

b) Repaired a scratch, quoted and not authorised by me and tried to charge £200+VAT for it (They informed the body shop but too late it was already done!!)

c) When they repaired the alloy they didn't properly pump to the correct pressure (2.1bar...min was 2.7bar) so my Tire Pressure Gauge flagged a flat tyre within 2 miles from the dealership.

d) Lost my OEM BMW Coat hanger accessory during the valet of my car (still trying to find it)

Now most of these issues were sorted but we entrust the professionals to get the job done right first time. How would they feel IF we carried out the task to thier pride and joy the way they do?

08-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It is disgusting tbh. Am fortunate in that my car is fully paid for, so that means I have a fair bit of cash invested in it as at now. Ok it's over 4 years old pre-lci but I look after it and it is in good condition for a 50k miler.

When I hand my keys over I expect someone else will go out of their way to do a good job and also take care of 'my property' whilst they do it.

Had to keep the loan car over the weekend so I did not use it as I was afraid it would get damaged, bet they would not have thought about the same for my car.

Now the energy company I work for is owned by a German energy firm so I am well aware that the working environment that our German friends like is not really UK compatable and appreciate low morale, but lets face it, quality checking someone else's work before giving it back to the customer is not fecking rocket science is it!

It will get sorted of course but whilst I live on my own with not much of a social life I do like to think I have better things to do than complaining to and having to drive from/to the soddin' car dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Ahh, this would probably be their tame bodyshop, Smarts.
They painted my bonnet a different shade of SG to the rest of the car....
Sorted eventually but a pain nonetheless.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Their definition of blending is different to mine too, they just seem to stop where the panel stops, that is not blending in is it?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00dle View Post
c) When they repaired the alloy they didn't properly pump to the correct pressure (2.1bar...min was 2.7bar) so my Tire Pressure Gauge flagged a flat tyre within 2 miles from the dealership.
Had the exact same thing happen to me. Utterly ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
How badly damaged was it?!
      08-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not much really, someone had clipped the rear driver side wheel arch, probably a 4x4 of some sort as there was no damage to the wheel/tyre. Had a long crease-like dent complete with surface damage in other areas around the wheel arch.

Know from the estimate details that they would have removed the rear bumper, so this explains why the light cluster unit on the other side has been moved.

After a sleep I am a bit calmer about it now but it still needs sorting as I am worried if any water can get into the gap where it is not flush with the body.

Also is it acceptable that the cabin should absolutely reek of paint fumes. Pouring down with rain this AM so could not turn the window down like I could yesterday, not good.

Last edited by Tippo; 08-04-2010 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #12
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
'Both times I've had a car back from the bodyshop it smelt of paint... I think it's just one of those things.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update here. It's going back in two weeks time. Due to the bodyshop being miles away they will need it for two days. Hoping that they don't charge me for the loan car this time.

Hey ho.

Btw do Mini charge for their loan cars? Checked with the Audi dealer about this and they said they still don't do it. Had to pay £52 towards use of the loan car yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #14
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh boy had to call them back today to explain there are a few minor scuffs I noticed on the front bumper corner just where it folds underneath, looks like they caught it against sommat. Know they use a transporter of some sort to take the cars to the bodyshop perhaps it was on this it happened.

Anyhow this will be sorted aswell in a couple of weeks. Thankfully the dealer is not being '@rsey' about it which is making it a bit easier to take.
Appreciate 0