E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY for e92 coilovers?

11-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

DIY for e92 coilovers?

I saw spring DIY's for e90's but wasn't sure if they were the same suspension as the e92. Has anyone done a write up or have access to install instructions? Thinking about picking up KW V2's. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

you can do it but i would take it to the shop ... you can get it installed for 150 to 200 ...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
you can do it but i would take it to the shop ... you can get it installed for 150 to 200 ...
I did a lot of my own work on my e46 so I'm really not scared to do it. It should be easier than just a spring install because your putting in the entire struts, less spring compressing.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Not true. You have to compress the spring on the car, as the whole shock/spring unit is too tall to come out of the fender. And regardless, you'll need to remove hardware like the top hat anyway so you have to compress the springs either way.

It's not too hard to do, but it's not easy. I did it on my own with mostly hand tools and didn't run into issues really. And it's not always about the money factor... I didn't want somebody who didn't know what they were doing to be working on my car, and I wanted to do it so I was aware of how that area of the car was put together.
      11-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
e93
open air motoring at its best
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
I had my KW's fitted by a BMW master tech. He works weekends for a race team who had access to a hoist. I helped with the install and after seeing first hand what was involved I was more than happy to be paying someone else.
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post

150-200? You better give him a BJ along with it...i've never seen a shop charge this price...

minimum is $300 to have a shop do coilovers...

It is an absolute PITA to install your own coilovers...i installed 6 of it myself for friends and customers...i resign from suspension work...

go to the DIY forum and look at the springs install DIY...the coilovers is similar and require a few more steps...u gotta remove ur trunk lining and pry that clip that hold the strut in place...and the front you have to pry the fork out with a crowbar to get the front struts out...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
150-200? You better give him a BJ along with it...i've never seen a shop charge this price...

minimum is $300 to have a shop do coilovers...

It is an absolute PITA to install your own coilovers...i installed 6 of it myself for friends and customers...i resign from suspension work...

go to the DIY forum and look at the springs install DIY...the coilovers is similar and require a few more steps...u gotta remove ur trunk lining and pry that clip that hold the strut in place...and the front you have to pry the fork out with a crowbar to get the front struts out...
As I stated earlier the DIY for the spring install is for the e90 so I wasn't sure if the suspension was the same for the e92. One thing I've learned with BMW's is usually no install is done the first time without running into some hiccups. It's always handy to have a DIY to back you up just in case. Being that the e92 suspension is totally new from the e46's I've worked on for years I'm slightly concerned to just wing it. Someone should write up a DIY for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
As I stated earlier the DIY for the spring install is for the e90 so I wasn't sure if the suspension was the same for the e92. One thing I've learned with BMW's is usually no install is done the first time without running into some hiccups. It's always handy to have a DIY to back you up just in case. Being that the e92 suspension is totally new from the e46's I've worked on for years I'm slightly concerned to just wing it. Someone should write up a DIY for it!

It's exactly the same..and if you worked on E46's before...it's all common sense..the only problem i ran into were the millions and millions of different size bolts...

for instance the bolt that hold the end link to the strut, one side is 16mm the other is 17mm...and there are a few like this...u have to hold one side or it'll spin forever...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's exactly the same..and if you worked on E46's before...it's all common sense..the only problem i ran into were the millions and millions of different size bolts...

for instance the bolt that hold the end link to the strut, one side is 16mm the other is 17mm...and there are a few like this...u have to hold one side or it'll spin forever...
Any particular trouble you ran into that you could let me know about? Also, did you need any additional hardware like new RSM's?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
Any particular trouble you ran into that you could let me know about? Also, did you need any additional hardware like new RSM's?

U gotta remove ur whole trunk lining, and the strut in the rear is held together by tamper proof clamps...gotta pry them out before u remove the strut bolt...

the rear camber arm has to be removed before u take the springs out, on the E46 you just use a broom to push down, on this car you have to remove the arm...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
U gotta remove ur whole trunk lining, and the strut in the rear is held together by tamper proof clamps...gotta pry them out before u remove the strut bolt...

the rear camber arm has to be removed before u take the springs out, on the E46 you just use a broom to push down, on this car you have to remove the arm...
How difficult is it to remove the camber arm?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

it's torqued pretty well, and once u remove the bolt that holds it together...the joint inside moves around...and u have to jack it back up later and align it perfectly to put the bolt back in there...it's a bitch

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it's torqued pretty well, and once u remove the bolt that holds it together...the joint inside moves around...and u have to jack it back up later and align it perfectly to put the bolt back in there...it's a bitch
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Yep, better get a friend to help, or pay someone to do it...

i am never touching suspension work again...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There will be people helping, for sure. But its one of those things that will be done over the weekend and I would be afraid that I'd run into a road block and get stuck for a couple of days and not be able to drive my car. I'll ask around for install prices just for grins.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:

Well if youre saying that, maybe Im biting off more than I can chew by offering to do it up here for people.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Well if youre saying that, maybe Im biting off more than I can chew by offering to do it up here for people.

after a few cars i just throw in the towel...too much work...i lowered Donny and Al's car from here...that's how i met them, i whore myself out to do suspension work...but not touching that ish again...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
after a few cars i just throw in the towel...too much work...i lowered Donny and Al's car from here...that's how i met them, i whore myself out to do suspension work...but not touching that ish again...
I offered to Scott to help him put on whatever he ends up getting(KW's or Bilsteins). Ive done suspension work before on a couple cars including my m3. Guess its gotten more complicated over the years maybe.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I offered to Scott to help him put on whatever he ends up getting(KW's or Bilsteins). Ive done suspension work before on a couple cars including my m3. Guess its gotten more complicated over the years maybe.

It's not complicated, just time consuming and annoying...and they use like a million different size bolts to hold the set up together..u find urself fumbling or sockets when you are working on it...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I really didn't find it to be a huge deal and I did it by myself without a lift and only had an electric impact for the top nut on the front shocks...

I wouldn't really expect that you could do an install with only a few wrenches and sockets. There are going to be different sized nuts and bolts, but that can't be too big of a deal. The only thing that is complicated is compressing the springs on the car and getting the whole unit out of the fender well. It's just a lot more convenient if you could compress out of the car, particularly if you have a wall mounted spring compressor that can compress the spring in 30 seconds.

It's a bit more involved than typical shock/spring installs because you have to drop the rear control arm (it's only 1 bolt) and compress the fronts in the car. Otherwise, I would say it's the same difficulty as other cars which have more "typical" installs.

Last edited by Chowbow; 11-07-2007 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:

i believe you are wrong here. thou you are absolutely right about aligning it back to put the screw in
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
I The only thing that is complicated is compressing the springs on the car and getting the whole unit out of the fender well.

before losening up the top screws under the hood, you need to jack up the whole thing(((((strut/spring/brake disk/caliper/whole assembly))))) as much as you can, then while up just put the spring compressor and tighten, then just unjack it and bling blang you have just compressed your spring with no effort amd saved yourself some time and strenght
Appreciate 0